data-csrf="1714056690,7f0881e30fdd9c836af734426cb3090a" Gas Blocks... | As Real As It Gets

Gas Blocks...

BrianW

Nov 18, 2007
Alaska
www.geocities.com
So I'm acquiring various parts for AR-15 builds, and am contemplating gas blocks now.

I'm assuming set screw types are the norm, over clamp on version. If so, I'd like to settle on a single low profile version I can use for pistol, carbine, and rifle length AR's. If I use one version, I can settle on one dimpling jig and also order in bulk if they come on sale.

Also...

I have a Stoner brand 10.5in barrel I got from Midway recently, that I'm going to use for a pistol AR build, and am not sure what length gas tube to buy. Thoughts?

We need an AR-15 section. :)

Oatmealsavage82

Nov 15, 2011
Alberta Canada
I'm running a geisele gas block on one and a standard a2 on the other. I'm guessing you would be needing a pistol length gas tube but don't quote me easy enough to measure.

4th_point

Dec 4, 2013
Oregon
Troy is tough to beat for reputation, design, material (steel), and cost. The knock-offs aren't that much lower in price, and sometimes higher.

J-Hon

Administrator
Dec 11, 2007
Northern Ky
The YHM is probably the best bang for the buck if you are wanting steel and non-adjustable. Can be had around $20, and work fine. Dimpling is pretty easy to do, even with a hand drill.

If you are really worried, pinning them is better than dimpling. For that I either go cut-down A2, or spend the extra bucks on Geiselle (which comes with a nice spotted flat to drill through).

Honestly though.... I have never been able to trace a problem down to a gas block that was aluminum, nor secured tightly with set screws. I still usually dimple them, and prefer the YHM setups when I'm not going adjustable.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've seen losing a clamped block and going set screw really help precision.

On an AR Pistole,I'd prolly cut to the chase and go with an adjustable block,to leave me moves.

The pinned A2 chopped 'block is my favorite.............

BrianW

Nov 18, 2007
Alaska
www.geocities.com
Troy wanted $77 to ship 2 gas blocks UPS Ground to Alaska. I emailed them, and they said that's the only way they ship stuff.

So I won't be ordering from them.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
PA is usually very good,but slow. Brownell's has really turned it around and they are both fast and cheap.................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Got one of Slash's HEAVY buffers and magnum spring,to slow cyclic rate and soften recoil with 105's in a AR-10. He ships shit Alaska TOUGH and I shoulda grabbed a pic of them efforts. Whatta NICE change.

The spring's coil wire diameter is obviously far greater and there's nearly halfa pound difference in buffer mass. Purty sure I ordered an adjustable gas block too,but am still opening boxes.............

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Digi-camo hard hat? Have been beaned by #1 deceased waterfowl when aligning on #2 but couldn't hazard a guess as to what you're up to now.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Most all of my GOOD hats are powder coated.

Needed a good camo one for work and slippin' up on Critters............(grin)

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Elk hunting years ago, bumped into a good ol' boy sporting a scruffy white beard, worn hickory, same for the bibs and coat, topped with a well-used aluminum hardhat that looked like it had doubled as a wheel chalk. He also had the requisite half a tin of Cope' in his cheek. Musta been a cutter.... *grin*

I look forward to the field test reports....

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Know one guy who ate a rootwad he bucked loose and came fucking SCREAMING To the landing for help.

Took (2) sets of pliers,to unbend his beanie from his fucking melon and the scars are purty funny................(grin)

Armed Ferret

Dec 18, 2007
Maryland, wishing it was TX
If you're doin .750, send me your barrel and gas block and i'll pin it for you. A guy at the range just yesterday was enjoying his new $2500 AR308 up until it started short-stroking, because the set-screw gas block was pushed forward (via the carrier gas key slamming into the gas tube inside the upper receiver) about 1/2" rendering it a single-shot.

He was pissed too. Cause he'd just been singing the praises of only needing set screws and how pinning was "overengineering" and "overthinking" the beautifully simple design.

I laughed internally. Then happily explained to him why his rifle wasn't working. RSO laughed externally.

If you're going to be building several, consider getting a pinning jig (i think rainier arms has a few) and 2-0 taper reamer. I can send you a handful of pins so you don't have to buy a bag of 100 like i did (grin).

Takes about 5-10 minutes to do one.

pinned by Armed Ferret, on Flickr

Armed Ferret

Dec 18, 2007
I got mine off ebay. Not expecting longevity but it's handled a couple dozen so far and was about 8-10 bucks. McMaster probably has murican made carbide for a pretty penny, but i guess it's all about how many you plan on doing. Reaming by hand doesn't heat it like a drill press would so that prolly helps.

Pat85

Mar 8, 2015
Pa.
MSC direct has any brand you would want. Go with a spiral flute over straight if you are reaming by hand.

Armed Ferret

Dec 18, 2007
I'll be installing gas block on my mk12 mod H build this weekend (at some point--ak build party tomorrow and a funeral on sunday, so probably sunday evening). I can do pics/video/whatever if anyone wants to see the process start to finish.