data-csrf="1711632064,90c0fdea418d57a85772425c565a4813" Going back home | As Real As It Gets

Going back home

Nail

Feb 8, 2008
Mississippi
Got rid of the F150 a few weeks back. Got tired of the note and all the gas it was drinking. Upon making the decision to sell I knew which direction I was going.

Missed my taco and knew that would be a good move but went a slightly different route.

2006 4Runner Limited 4WD...V6 of course

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
That thing looks clean!

My dad and I were just talking the other day about how one of us needs to pick up a 4-Runner for hunting and everything else we do that doesn't require a truck.

I bought a Highlander Hybrid to use for work. While I like it for pavement, it has zero value off road.

Congrats on the new ride!

Chris

Nov 20, 2007
Between the Mtns and the Plateau
We bought my daughter a 2004 that looks just like yours cept its a 2WD. We gave $4500 for it. It had 200k on it and it looked brand new inside and out until some cocksucker hit it while she was at Target last week. $200 deductible and it should be as good as new.

Nail

Feb 8, 2008
Mississippi
Rolltide said:
That thing looks clean! ...

...Congrats on the new ride!
With the exception of some front grill/bumper rash, which was touched up by previous owner (not the best job but better than nothing) and the gash you can see in the rear/driver's side quarter/bumper molding, it is pristine.

Took a while to find the right one though. 2WDs can be had all day long in good/great condition. 4WDs in the same condition (in the price range I was working with anyway) were like unicorns.

Did away with the XREAS and installed 5100s to level it up. Just got the Duratracs mounted the other day. OEM size on the tires (265/60R18) but I had to trim a bit and more the inner fender liner forward on the front.

It certainly ain't a truck but I know lots of people with trucks if I need a truck for something.

Painless

Administrator
Loved my 15 taco but needed more room so I traded that in on a tundra. Gas mileage sucks but I did put 35’s on it. Fucker is just the epitome of what a truck should be. I can’t ever see anything but a tundra in my driveway from now on....

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Painless said:
Loved my 15 taco but needed more room so I traded that in on a tundra. Gas mileage sucks but I did put 35’s on it. Fucker is just the epitome of what a truck should be. I can’t ever see anything but a tundra in my driveway from now on....
I've got a '15 Taco myself.

4-door, TRD Off-Road, 6-speed manual...pretty much a perfect Tacoma for me.

Since we've had a kid, I find myself wanting more room all the time. With a car seat in the back, whoever is in front has no room, and there's really no room for anyone to ride back there.

I'm thinking hard on trading for a new Tundra, don't see how I'd regret it, other than picking up a car payment again.

Nail

Feb 8, 2008
Mississippi
Tundras suck gas period, the 35's are only a minor contribution.( I will add that my truck was less than stellar at the pump too)

Their fine trucks no doubt and the crew max is the most spacious I've ever seen. I looked at a few before my previous purchase but I couldn't find one that fit my budget.

The payment on my F150 wasn't too awful but it was just a waste of money for me in the end. Took my earnings from the sale and put down most of what I needed for the 4runner. I really thought I would miss the truck but so far I'm loving the 4runner.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
I don't really care about mileage, as I have a work truck.

I really like 4Runners too, but we really have to have at least one truck here.

The one you posted above looks great, BTW.

Painless

Administrator
I put over 300k on my 99 4Runner and I wasn’t nice to it. It was just a badass vehicle. Sold it for over 5 grand to a king d and he is still driving it. I went DC on my Tundra couldn’t find exactly what I wanted in the CM. Thinking that my next Tundra will be a CM tha way I can compare the 2.

Nail

Feb 8, 2008
Mississippi
There's a brown one I see around here pretty regular, this morning in fact, that is sweet...1794 Edition.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
cwh said:
How bad does the tundra suck the gas when towing?
Anybody towed any serious weight with one?
What do you call serious weight?

With my 2011 (5.7, whatever the lowest gears they have 4.3ish), I pulled either a 16 or 18' enclosed trailer with 4 Harley's (800ish a piece) to Myrtle beach a few years ago.

Averaged right at 10 mpg if I remember correctly.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Thinking in the 10-12K range. It occurs to me that I might be able to ditch the 3/4 ton.

Putting a real gas tank in the tundra would make that decision a lot easier.

Rod Builder

May 15, 2012
Happiest Place on Earth
I average about 10-11 when towing my boat and loaded for a weekend of camping/fishing. I like the power, so I look at the loss of mileage as an acceptable tradeoff. I think the only time you'd miss the Dodge is when you were towing the hunting train.

standeford

Feb 3, 2009
Tennessee
I get 12 out of mine when towing a Bass Tracker TX17 and a load of camping gear.

If you are fuel sensitive you don't want a Tundra. I put a 46 gallon tank on mine to greatly increase range, but the MPG hit is still ugly.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Rod Builder said:
I think the only time you'd miss the Dodge is when you were towing the hunting train.
That sounds about right. The landcruiser averages 13mpg around town, and I drive that every day so I guess I'm not that fuel sensitive.

Interesting...

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
Towing my boat (trailer loaded is ~12k) with the SRW CC F350 without the weight distribution is fun enough. With weight distribution (Equal-I-Zer 10k plus a homemade pole tongue adapter) the rig is money. Don't know how a half ton would do, but judging how mine does without the weight distribution, I'd want to get that part dialed first thing... Brakes too. UFP discs with the kodiak electric/hydraulic actuator and prodigy 2 controller works great. Bank on replacing brake pads every two years - they rot no matter how well flushed. I towed mine for a summer up there without the weight distribution, then got it set up for the tow south. HUGE difference, especially on AK whoopdedoo roads.

I'd like to research how well the half ton trucks' ring and pinion hold up under heavy towing. It's not hard to see that a 10.5" ford or 11.5" GM/Dodge pumpkin is a bigger piece of meat than what they put under a fullsize import.

cwh said:
Thinking in the 10-12K range. It occurs to me that I might be able to ditch the 3/4 ton.

Putting a real gas tank in the tundra would make that decision a lot easier.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
It is interesting to look at the towing ratings - Toyota rates the 07+ Tundra at 10K, where my 06 Dodge 2500 is rated at 8K. Then again, it is tough to put much stock in a rating, especially compared across manufacturers.

Towing our boat with the Dodge was awesome, and I expect it approached the 12K mark once or twice. But that had as much to do with the trailer and its brakes as anything. Only time I ever didn't love the Dodge for towing was towing a 30 foot flatbed with a track rig and the toyota and a wheeler and two trailers, and the bed loaded over the rails with camping stuff headed to moose camp. I hate to think what that load weighed.

Not having a boat, and having lightened the load for the annual moose tardfest has me thinking I could ditch the dodge, and just deal with the heavy trailer once a year.

I should start a new thread... Nice rig Nail!

Rod Builder

May 15, 2012
Happiest Place on Earth
cwh said:
Rod Builder said:
I think the only time you'd miss the Dodge is when you were towing the hunting train.
That sounds about right. The landcruiser averages 13mpg around town, and I drive that every day so I guess I'm not that fuel sensitive.

Interesting...
I know you keep talking about buying a Prius, but just say no.

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
If you're never going over hills pulling a load, I could see a gasser though mileage will surely be single digits. Pulling through turnagain, I'd definately want a diesel.

If you plan on tripping the 2500, let me know.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Interesting hearing about the Tundra's mileage. I've looked at them a few times but know a couple of local guys who couldn't get better than 6-7 mpg out of theirs around town...not towing anything.

Rod Builder

May 15, 2012
Happiest Place on Earth
Are they running lift kits with big mudders and driving like John force? There's no way a stock Tundra or even one with a leveling kit and moderate tires should get that bad of mileage. I get twice that mileage on my 08 with a little over 100K

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
No, both are older guys, mid 60's or so. Both traded theirs for Chevys...

Personally, I'd like to have a Taco 4 door with an extra long bed, to fit my atv and 7ft ramps...

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
Rod Builder said:
Are they running lift kits with big mudders and driving like John force? There's no way a stock Tundra or even one with a leveling kit and moderate tires should get that bad of mileage. I get twice that mileage on my 08 with a little over 100K
I concur, sounds like somebody is siphoning their gas tanks.

In my 3.0 slo pre-taco yota truck in the winter running in 4wd warming the truck up for 15-30 minutes in the morning I was getting 12-13 mpg city driving.

4th_point

Dec 4, 2013
Oregon
cwh said:
How bad does the tundra suck the gas when towing?
Anybody towed any serious weight with one?
I haven't towed a thing, but my buddy tows a 5th wheel with his. Don't know the mileage, but he says it's got plenty of power. Brakes are his only concern since he's technically overloaded.

4th_point

Dec 4, 2013
Oregon
I've got 15k on a 2017 TRD. Mine has the little 26 gallon tank, but only because I got the bench seat. If you get the bucket seats, you get the 38 gallon now, along with other upgrades. I wanted the 6 passenger seating, so went with the bench.

I get 15-16 mpg mixed. I've seen 8-13 mpg in the city. On flat open road, I've seen 19+ mpg.

My buddy's Taco doesn't do much better. Neither does another's Chevy with 5.3 liter and cylinder deactivation. He gets 16-17 mpg doing a similar commute.

4th_point

Dec 4, 2013
Oregon
I think all manufacturers are following the SAE towing standard now, but for awhile Toyota was the only one in compliance with the Tundra. RAM said that they were waiting for Ford and GM to follow it, but ended up adopting it before them. Ford and GM had some lame excuse, even though they helped create the standard.

SAE article

Tillerjunkey

Dec 21, 2013
cwh said:
It is interesting to look at the towing ratings - Toyota rates the 07+ Tundra at 10K, where my 06 Dodge 2500 is rated at 8K. Then again, it is tough to put much stock in a rating, especially compared across manufacturers.

Towing our boat with the Dodge was awesome, and I expect it approached the 12K mark once or twice. But that had as much to do with the trailer and its brakes as anything. Only time I ever didn't love the Dodge for towing was towing a 30 foot flatbed with a track rig and the toyota and a wheeler and two trailers, and the bed loaded over the rails with camping stuff headed to moose camp. I hate to think what that load weighed.

Not having a boat, and having lightened the load for the annual moose tardfest has me thinking I could ditch the dodge, and just deal with the heavy trailer once a year.

I should start a new thread... Nice rig Nail!
I have an 07 Tundra and with camper on I get 12. Without I get 15. My payment each month is 0 so the give a fucks are low. Add the boat with the camper and I drink coors light for the weekend instead of the good stuff.

Lifes choices....grin