data-csrf="1713973862,9825486f27eb8c3e021dd8847b7fc4fa" Gone With The Wind................ | As Real As It Gets

Gone With The Wind................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Needless to say,the weather has been EPIC this pass and all good things come to an end.(grin) We lost power on a scale never seen before and the crux of the wrath,was a rock toss from my porch. At least there's no trees,which can reach to smash my shit.

Anywhoo...made it a point yesterday,to whistle through the last of the 120gr Barnes Burner Fodder I had loaded for The Carbon Queen. Rattled through the last box of 50rds,bringing the tally to 300rds total,for the pass. Final impetus was simply a feed/function check of Wayne's World BDL bottom and guts. It never missed a lick and the .590" muzzle got fucking HOT! Wouldn't quite sizzle spit,but it smoked like a BBQ.

As noted prior,The Chop at 19",really improved balance/handling.

Nobody hates LW more than I and that schit is funny! The 1-6x HD MQ is KILLER and I can hold that reticle hard.

The trigger adjusted fair to middlin',but I cain't like Dual Stages on a Meat & Taters Rifle.

The OEM DBM is Dog Schit and that's hardly a secret,but in fairness,it never missed a lick. The transition to BDL floorplate metal,was/is VERY welcomed,as is the COAL latitude increase.

The RCBS Deburr Crown did just fine. Only had to shoot the rust offa/through it,a few times.

Too many pics I guess...to be continued.................

Reactions: Al Nyhus

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Shot the last 5 remaining rds at 100yd paper,at MAXIMUM Barrel Temp and the results were pretty round,considering the mirage precluded my seeing things very well. Actually went under an inch.

Had ordered a Bart' 3B .224" bore in 7" RPM a coupla days ago and was fresh outta excuses,with the last of the 120's whistled away.(grin) The boltface looked like it had been Brass Mining,due my affinity for positive headspace. Cleaned it up some,stripped everything and threw it in a box,with a S/S 700 for good measure.

I'm looking to dupe contour at 19.25" in 22PPC AFI of course. LW's get tossed and DD's step greedily to the plate,with the '6x HD MQ waiting patiently.

I gave it a purty good flogging in a short while and though 15 boxes of ammo is just a modest start for a week,it revealed that The Carbon Queen is purty sound. It was in tough company and never batted an eye.

Got it bloody,wet,fish stanked and my G-12 puked in the process,or I'd of had some good pics of the entire flogging. No regerts and the platform just BEGS to be a 22PC or 243PC AFI.

With a smidge of weather luck,I'll have it on the next pass for 3 weeks of Rutaloo and will look to lean on it,with both 88's and 90 Beer Cans. For them on the fence...come on in,the water's warm......................(grin)

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
I'm on the hunt for one in 6.5 grendel now myself. I stumbled into 200 rounds of hornady black at a good price and I jumped. Just need a rifle to put it in now.

d2junky

Feb 10, 2010
You will be pleased with the black. With 4 Grendels none have been over an inch and 3 were hovering around a 1/2, one of which was an ancient bhw

The two piece Burris xtr bases have done well on all of mine and the Warne Mt Tech rail is surprisingly low on the one riding in a chassis.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
I figured the grendel won't push the 123 eld hard enough to hurt it.
How are you liking them for deer and such?

Gonna get some xtr bases and the bdl kit ordered, just need to find a rifle now!

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
18”, 20” and 22” ARs.

Mine turned into a 6 Predator. I’d have another 6.5 in a heartbeat if factory ammo was still widely available.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
Thats picture perfect.

Once I get a mini I figure I'll keep it a 6.5 for a while but long term plan is a 6 predator or arc.

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho

I put together a 12.5” 6.5 Grendel for the kids two years ago. Of course the 6 ARC came out shortly after 🙄

We’ve killed a few deer with the 123 eldx with more than satisfactory results. It’s a great little round but I’m crossing my fingers they standardize the 22 version!

d2junky

Feb 10, 2010
They’ve plowed through everything I’ve flung them at. Paper, vermin, deer. Broke both shoulders of a corn fed whitetail at about 150 yards and kept flyin. I’ve not pushed them farther than that.

the barreled actions were so cheap from brownells I bought 3 and had planned converting them all until they shot as well as they did.

one has been earmarked for ARC status now that I have some ammo. My loading time is zilch. GAP is getting regular shipments of most things Hornady and got another load yesterday.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
Appreciate the intel.

I should've picked up one of those cheap minis and stuck it in the 18oz stock oregon gunsmithing is offering, could probably have been in it cheaper than the carbon that way.

The search for the carbon continues

d2junky

Feb 10, 2010
The oregun bottom metal has made the project worthwhile. Mag feeding was a finicky bitch in anything but the stock they came with or a chassis.

the first time you pick one up you will laugh. I still do.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Got intel that THE Carbon Queen Mini Howie 7" RPM Bart' 22PPC AFI Duped Bitch is enroute. My Baby Montucky 270 is PISSED at the news.(grin)

Been at least 50++ builds,since I've wanted to retain the OEM spout,but I did here. Brownell's has 6.5 Mini Bitches in Chub contour and I'll simply Swapaloo.......................

d2junky

Feb 10, 2010
The only carbon mini in these parts was a 350 which I have zero use for….BUT it is the same contour as the “heavy” Grendel barrel so stocky obviously feels they are strong enough to swallow more.

now obviously the 350 bore sheds weight but it felt pretty handy. Here’s hoping they don’t sell and Stocky, or someone, ends up with a surplus of stocks at some point.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I was looking last night,to no avail.(grin)

Been a loooonnnngggggggg time since I wanted an OEM spout back,but I did here. I figured a heavy contoured Mini would be easy to score and a barrel swap to same,a breeze. With the Wayne's World BDL box/bottom,COAL is increased enough to let things breathe,even in 264 Grendel.

I'm gonna do my S/S Mini Howie Dance for Xmas...................(grin)

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
They're going to sell like crazy for a while. Think I heard Weatherby had exclusive rights to SS Howa production in the US. It makes sense, because Howa making them and not selling them in the world's biggest gun market* certainly doesn't!

*I meant North America, not Stick's zip code. Similar numbers though.

• Haha
Reactions: Wiserfool

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Looking at Ratherbee's Site,I don't see a S/S offering,of anything.

TheVG's are assuredly,their best offerings of all time...even if only CM..................(grin)

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
They seem to have dried up, like a lot of things lately. And there's a troubling trend away from SS and toward Cerakote and similar junk.

d2junky

Feb 10, 2010
In about 2008 the Whorehouse was closing out stainless vanguards for 399. I came home with 2, and should’ve bought more.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
That shit never happens to me. Perhaps because I don't go to stores much, but still.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Brownell's was giving away Howie Seex Kreedmires for less,earlier this year...though in CM.

The whole neighborhood scooped 'em up..............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Let's start by saying,The Kali Kid is sumptin' else and that is THE highest praise!

THE Carbon Queen's new barrel,matched the OEM PERFECTLY! Laughing!

Bart' 7" RPM,duped and I think 19.25". Fucking PEACH. Barreled action rides OEM inlet,like it has eyes and that is oh soooooooooo muchly appreciated. Even though,he just likesto recontour for fun!(grin)

Still cain't love Double Staged Killing Triggers,but got most of it massaged out.

I'll split this Post,due Pixel count..................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Had an EGW 20 Mo/Mo Rail,but the rather modest comb,lifted ocular too high for my liking,so opted the DD Default. I think I have an extended front base set somewhere and another on order,but this will get me in the mix. Tapered heel of rear base,in case I find same.(grin) Zero fucking recoil and nary an eye-relief concern,from any/all contortions,if only obviously.

Shit be gooped and snugged. Rifles only shoot LOOSE...never tight.

It is a Flyweight Hammer and I'll be cranking out 88's,here in minutes.

Gonna be tough to grab 'hold of anything else.

THANKS Shaen........................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Bumped ring height to Medium and found a set of DD Extended Front Bases. MUCH better.

Tough to flute air................(grin)

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Nice! Was hoping it would arrive. Probably not as much as you, but still hoping.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Went medium height DD,with extended/reverse front. Were it DBM,I'd of went extended 1913 1-piecer.

Simply a rather sound platform,in 224 and 243 AFI.................

Ndbowhunter

May 18, 2021
yup, i'm gonna find one and 223ai it with that bdl setup.

nothing but 77gr tmk down the bore

although these pile of parts been mean mugging me for far too long. been too much gallivanting, letting critters live not enough bang flops.
997E8AA2-CC21-42FF-A6BF-F3FC79B9A2B6.jpeg

Ndbowhunter

May 18, 2021
i called swfa and they said a good number of 1-6's had issues.

that one i had last year for tough to like. took it out on one hunt and it got yarded off AsAp and got replaced with the 3-9 ss.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
First I've heard of a 1-6x "issue". Though I livesquarely in the highest density per capita,on The Planet for same.(grin)

'Course,pards I work with,account for another sized Goodly Herd. Only run 'em from 22LR to 375H&H,with more than a few stops in between,all inclusive.

I HAPPILY trade 3-9's for 1-6's................(grin)

Wiserfool

Sep 6, 2020
i called swfa and they said a good number of 1-6's had issues.
If you ever take any marketing courses, one of the questions on the "knowledge check" quiz will be, "How do you appease a customer with objections?" The correct answer is, "Tell em what they want to hear, then make the sale." Small top up charge was involved to go to 3-9 perhaps???

Last edited:

Ndbowhunter

May 18, 2021
nah, i tripped it.

got more then needed of 3-9's. grabbed one off the pile and rocked on.

i didn't screen shot but sometime in the last 6 months they had a good number of "blemish " illumination issue one for sale on the samplelist. it would bloom like crazy on 6x with any illumination.

only reason i even yarned with them was i had a 1-4classic get damaged in transit on a sale this spring.

i don't shoot reputation. i shoot the scope in hand. no lifetime achievement awards.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
There was ONE 1-6x HD MQ on The Sample List,that was billed as having an illumination issue,that rode the pine for multiple months. Myself and pards bought ALL of the others,which were advertised above/below/around it.

I shoot a "few" SWFA's......................(grin)

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Spill your guts on the Howie Stick!

I love the Grendel and have looked hard at picking up a bolt gun to go with the boat anchor AR I've got chambered in same.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The Howie Mini Carbon Bitches are REAL,though I suffer a Krunchenticker chambered same.(grin)

Will flog on it for this tour,then launch it in the Mail,for another 22PPC AFI...............