data-csrf="1711666650,1038ab8857628e01a9f83b3430e02503" Handy Dandy Rigs | As Real As It Gets

Handy Dandy Rigs

TxPhotog

Jan 2, 2012
Swung by a local store and they had a Howa carbon fiber in 7-08 in their sale rack. It was fairly light and they had $525 on her, so I paid the man. I finger fucked a Howa mini in 7.62x39 and loved how it handled. I want one in 6 ARC. Or maybe 6x45? Thoughts about the mags? Does their BDL-style have more wiggle room than the detachable models?

I also played with a Christensen bolt action .22 Ranger. It used a 10/22 mag, had a Trigger Tech trigger, a synthetic stock, and a carbon fiber wrapped barrel that was threaded. I guessed the damn thing was 4.5 pounds, but their website says 5.1. I don't know how they shoot but it sure was easy to tote.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The Mini's COAL precludes both 223 and 270 for me. The 6 ARC is the easy button.

Aftermarket BDL bottoms are of greater COAL latitude than the OEM plastic shit mags. Above rounds are identical in length................

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I also played with a Christensen bolt action .22 Ranger. It used a 10/22 mag, had a Trigger Tech trigger, a synthetic stock, and a carbon fiber wrapped barrel that was threaded. I guessed the damn thing was 4.5 pounds, but their website says 5.1. I don't know how they shoot but it sure was easy to tote.
I bought one, when the Ranger first came out. Mine had some feeding issues, out-of-the-box, but Christiansen made it right after a trip back to their factory. They had it about 4 weeks, and it feeds perfectly, now.

It shoots extremely well, just as good as my Tikka T1x and Bergara BMR. It puts CCI Std Vel ammo into tight little knots, which is good, because I have bunch of it. The TriggerTech is great, and I like the stock ergonomics. And, yes, you're right. It's really is light, and handy-dandy.

There are a couple of things that bug me about the Ranger, though. The plastic bottom metal looks tacky. The magazine doesn't drop free. Not a deal breaker, for me, more of an annoyance. The threading on the muzzle is a mile long. I have to use a spacer when I attach my Thunderbeast suppressor, or the muzzle will contact the first baffle before running out of threads. It's not a functional issue, just looks stupid.

If you're looking for one, Bass Pro and/or Cabelas is closing out their OD green version for $680. That matches the price Sportsman's Warehouse had on them for Black Friday.

Last edited:

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I picked up a Ranger shortly after they came out. Like Dan, mine has had some issues.

It's made a few trips back to Christensen and it gets better each time.

The accuracy on mine is good and the TT trigger that it came with was fine.

I still swapped out the trigger for a TT Diamond because I truly love those things.

The bolt on mine will still bind if you're using the bolt handle to close the bolt on a round. I figured out though, that if I push the back of the bolt with my thumb, it will feed without binding.

The bolt has a ridge on the bottom of it that Christensen can't really explain. It scratches the cases and shaves lead on the next round in the magazine. I took a dremel to it to smooth it out and remove the sharp edge. It's much better now.

The threads on my barrel don't appear to be as long as Dan's.

I can say that with the can on, it's an awesome little squirrel rifle.

I've shot some NRL22 matches and PRS Rimfire matches with guys who were using a Ranger in the match.

It's not ideal in that world, but they didn't lose the match because of the rifle...

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
I might have to jump on that cabelas deal. I don't need one but a light little 22 is seldom a bad move