data-csrf="1711660993,daf8be9ff657808dc3db7867918eaee4" Heavy 7WSM build | As Real As It Gets

Heavy 7WSM build

Painless

Administrator
So long story short I scored a SS 700 cambered in 300 rsaum for a song. Plans are to build a heavy 7WSM as a long range play gun. I know it will wear a solid filled A5, will pick up a barrel M24 contour form southern precision. Want to run some type of mag system i.e. Atlas or something like that. Haven't played in the bottom metal game in a while so I need advice there. Seeking will get the nod on the rings and bases and I will throw a fixed fucker 10 x 42 mil quad on it for now. Eventually I will probably put a Mark 4 or Nightforce on it. Larry I know you are shaking your head but I got all the killing rifles I need and this one will just be built to bust steel out past spitting distances.

Thoughts on bottom metal and any barrels I should be looking at?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Any DBM that'll digest AICS mags,will grant nice windows of opportunity. Easy to reap 2.950" COAL + and throat in accord.

Greg has alotta great spouts on hand and none would aspook me. There's a M24 9" Bart' ready to roll. I'd rather 10x MQ,than MK4 or NightFarce.

With a Montucky 7 Whizzum in the larder,a 7 Whizzum Giggles Rifle do appeal. A well balanced A5,will do alotta fun things nicely and a 162 is tough to whoop.

Goose Poop tends to make it in the crummy,more often than not.....................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Colin is great people as is Jered...which reminds,I should call Jered and shoot the shit,as he keeps threatening to visit.

As much as I hate to say it,the PT&G Stealth is good shit too...................

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
I just finished a chunk 7rsaum, and it's been a hoot so far. I scored a 7-300wsm barrelled action from a friend, but had all the logistics in place for 7rsaum, so chopped the old chamber off, and redid in shamwow. Bedded into a heavy fill A3, atlas bottom metal and have been using Accurate 300 wsm magazines. The barrel is a 1-9 Rock. Waiting on 162 amax to arrive, but 180 VLD's are working great. Need to settle on glass. The 4.5-14 LR that is currently astride ain't the way to go!

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Have a few rifles myself,but the "allure" of a 30" spout diminished quickly,due them extrapolations.

A 30-incher would be alot "better",if it was the only thing a guy had..................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I suffer a 24" 1.350" and it's far too much of a good thang.

Cain't like my lips on the exhaust port side of the fence.

How much available "up" in the NightFarce?.................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
42MOA 'bout Maxes a NightFarce 12-42x 56mm out,as if I recall correctly,they only had 45MOA to start with. I know they are SFP but it seems like the reticle subtension was calibrated in midfield at 22X or so?

NP-R1 I assume?

1/8 MOA ele?...............

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
In the vicinity of dandihood
45 MOA on the erector, yep.

Reticle @ 22x, yep (though 42x is close enough to double 22x that you can cut the values in half @ 42x and be within the ballpark most of the time).

MLR reticle, thus the 5MIL on the windshield.

1/4 MOA ele and windage

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Wouldja' buy another NightFarce of that Model? MOA turrets and Milscale reticles on a SFP fuck alotta folks up,but I've gunned 'em for decades and can press 'em into play.

It'd be tough to trade a 45MIL erector for a 45MOA one however.................(grin)

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
I've 12-42x56's in NPR-1 (243AI), NPR-2 (223AI), and the MLR on the 7.

Since I've yet to run any of them outta elevation I just run charts in MOA for elevation and MIL for windage on the 7 and a 2nd column of MIL elevation on the 7 as well. No particular trick and my 19# rifle isn't exactly expedient.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'm past 45MOA daily and with a couple/few different rifles,on the average.

With Mil reticle'd/MOA turret'd glass,I tend to do likewise. Comeups on the erector are in .25MOA and full value 10mph wind is factored in Mils. Depending upon the boolit/chambering,I'm happy to Hasty Chart drop in a different locale,to the limits of the reticle and it can be rather handy for movers.

Just tough to stomach a 5 Mil dot reticle,when it is so easy to have a finite hashmarked 10 Mil option instead,that's both easier to hold hard and subtend with................

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
MLR is hashmarked in 1/2MIL (which subtend to ~1/4MIL @ 42x) increments but still only to 5MIL (or 2.5MIL @ 42x). Of course with 12x being roughly 1/2 of the 22x the subtensions are calibrated for, a guy can have awful damned close to 10MIL on the windshield @ 12x as well.

To fully answer your earlier question regarding would I buy again. Maybe, but I'd not put one on a rifle that I'm going to hunt with. Image quality is excellent but the eyebox is far from forgiving. At the time I bought March scopes were unobtainium, Leupold had nothing variable over 25x, the multiple offerings that went to 32x were a goatfuck due to subtensions @ higher X count not correlating/extrapolating well past their calibrated setting, and Sightron was really the only other game in town in a 40x+ variable.

FWIW, the since discontinued NP-R1 atop my 243AI gives ~1MOA hashes on the horizontal @ 42X and I got the warm/fuzzies from that as a means to pasting an intersection where I thought the bullet belonged. I suspect the newer MOAR is more of a good thing in that regard.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Of the options available to the '42x,the NP-R1 connected the most dots for me...but 42x is over double the X-count from where I wanna be.

The MOAR follows suit,in being more MQ-esque and the premise is sound. Though you gotta stay below 15x,to reap 30MOA on the windshield. I never liked subtension to align amidship,in a zoom selector's travel and it's one of many reasons I've long been a fan of modest X's.

I need to do another Long Range Egg Shoot and see how far the respective MQ's in 6,10,12 and 16x extrapolate in their relative abilities.

I'm thinkin' it'd be intellesting.................

Painless

Administrator
So just to update this old thread I have all the parts here save the PT&G bottom metal. Still waiting to see what happens with the bat cave smith, but I had him on the horn the other day and things are looking up. Should have it screwed together in the next couple of weeks and will stretch it out soon......

Armed Ferret

Dec 18, 2007
Maryland, wishing it was TX
Painless said:
So just to update this old thread I have all the parts here save the PT&G bottom metal. Still waiting to see what happens with the bat cave smith, but I had him on the horn the other day and things are looking up. Should have it screwed together in the next couple of weeks and will stretch it out soon......
Is he still in the game then?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
You might wanna have shit boxed up and ready to roll,as an effort to get in the front of the line............(grin)

Painless

Administrator
So got my PT&G bottom metal inletted into the A5 and have run into an issue. Looks like I need to open up the bottom of the action so that the the magazine will clear. It looks to be about an 1/8th of material that will need to be removed. This is a Rem 700 that was originally a 300 WSM. Have any of you ever had to do this? Think I can put it on my buddies mill and get it knocked out pretty quick but wanted to make sure I am going in the right direction.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've MUCH Dremel Faith and that is of course what I used.

Slide rounds as far forward as you can,to make sure there's no woes that'll arise under recoil impulse skinning things ahead.

It's a tough approach to whoop..............