data-csrf="1711625821,ae3bebe9c0d994ddf93d17c278ca7d73" Hey Stick, chainsaw question.... | As Real As It Gets

Hey Stick, chainsaw question....

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Broke a clutch spring on my Stihl 029 Super (039 engine). While tracking down replacement parts I figured to go ahead and replace the clutch sprocket while I was in there. It is grooved a little bit. My saw has a 8 tooth sprocket but I see 7 tooth but not 8s available. Stihl says both will work as long as the pitch is the same.

It’s my understanding that going to the 7 will reduce chain speed but increase low end torque. Is that desirable? Is there any other reason to not use the 7?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
A 7-tooth driver will behave as you described. Depending upon bar length and how you are set up now,with number of drive links,it is in within the realm of possibility that your existing chains might not tighten up. There is only so much travel on the tensioner.

As far as "performance",the 7-tooth isn't going to hurt you,on that powerhead.

Gauge AND Pitch must match,between drive sprocket and bar tip,otherwise the train can't even get on the tracks............

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Gage and pitch won’t change, the amount of adjustment is unknown at this point. Not an expensive part so I suppose a try and see is in order.
Thanks