data-csrf="1711617976,3f339d20041cdf554e183180dbf1b359" High Zoot 22LR Craze............... | As Real As It Gets

High Zoot 22LR Craze...............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Anybody getting giddy to dip a toe,with all the new wares coming to fruition for SHOT?

I keep getting a Fortner Tingle,but it ain't out of hand. Tried to preorder both a Vudoo Hummer and a Bighorn Whizzum,to no avail.

Who's musing what?!?.......................

Painless

Administrator
I am thinking RIMX for my first foray into high zoot rimfire, still remember playing with the Annie a couple of years ago and that was a riot, God knows I need another rimfire but damned if I aint gonna get another one and it looks like 2020 might be the year.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Is the quality there in the ammo other than 22lr to warrant putting that much money into one?

Had a buddy get a Vudoo so being the easily influenced person that I am I suppose I’ll have to have one too.

Certifiable

Jun 10, 2015
I think I’ve talked myself out of a high zoot HMR mostly because for me it’s all target. A .22 would just get so much more use and the Hummer ammo obviously limits one in that regard.
Ive been poring over the zermatt but when the parts list is all added up you’re right there at vudoo money. That’s not a bad thing per se but my thinking is for same money (a fair amount) I think I’d prefer the comfort of a rifle put together start to finish by the same crew...
If you bought an action, barrel and stock, then slapped it together and just couldn’t find accuracy love... what are you to do?

Just thinking out loud and please anybody chime in with opinions or something I’m missing...but at this point I’m leaning towards another vudoo .22.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
My vudoo plans are on hold for the moment, but that's still the direction I'll go. Likely with lots of detours along the way.

Cool to see more companies getting in the mix.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I think I’ve talked myself out of a high zoot HMR mostly because for me it’s all target. A .22 would just get so much more use and the Hummer ammo obviously limits one in that regard.
Ive been poring over the zermatt but when the parts list is all added up you’re right there at vudoo money. That’s not a bad thing per se but my thinking is for same money (a fair amount) I think I’d prefer the comfort of a rifle put together start to finish by the same crew...
If you bought an action, barrel and stock, then slapped it together and just couldn’t find accuracy love... what are you to do?

Just thinking out loud and please anybody chime in with opinions or something I’m missing...but at this point I’m leaning towards another vudoo .22.

Were I starting from scratch,that's where I'd be. With a coupla Vudoo's in the larder,that's REALLY where I wanna be.(grin)

Hummers hurt shit and paper ain't on my radar. A bulletproof S/S platform that shoots like my Annie 54 1717D HB,assuredly would not make for a bad time...............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Is the quality there in the ammo other than 22lr to warrant putting that much money into one?

Had a buddy get a Vudoo so being the easily influenced person that I am I suppose I’ll have to have one too.

My Hummers and Whizzums flat fucking SHOOT.

The weakest link in both chamberings,are in the platforms available to 'em...not the fodder.....................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I am thinking RIMX for my first foray into high zoot rimfire, still remember playing with the Annie a couple of years ago and that was a riot, God knows I need another rimfire but damned if I aint gonna get another one and it looks like 2020 might be the year.

There's NO fun,like Long Range Rimfire fun..............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
First I've heard of it('matum)...suplized noone has mentioned the Howa,though it isn't a 700 footprint.

Hadn't checked Email all day and just did. Jill from Vudoo sent a note,saying the 5rd billet mags will ship next week and was wondering if I had any interest...so will have a pair coming for default carry.

Herd Clips will now become Plan B......................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The 15-rounders may interest some folks.

5,10 and 15rd Billet Bitches and I'm purty sure,I like 'em in the white................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
As per the original Email,$74.95 for the 5-rounders per each. I didn't ask about 10's,because I already have better than a dozen and the 15's are of no interest to me personally.

Had Jill on the phone not long ago and asked about receiving mine "in the white" and she didn't think that would be an issue,unless the lubricity of the coating was really gonna change things. I told her if the boys are cool with Au Naturale,that'd be great for me and if they hated the notion,I could probably be fine with black ones.(grin)

So we shall see what arrives...............

Apr 3, 2010
I could like a 5 rounder probably. No issues with the 10s really though either.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Ruger's getting weird about stainless. A shame - it's one of their strengths.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Jill shot an Email back and "in the white",is out of the car.

The coating adds lubricity and the boys didn't wanna cut that corner.

I respect their stance and am happy to have their wares to play with...................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Were I "dipping",it'd be into the above Ruger. It has a REAL stock and I hear good thangs,about them Ruger rotary mags.(grin)...................

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Since I'm shitting on Ruger in this thread, they also fucked up by not making those American RF barrels easily swapped. No manufacturer ever has been hurt by having a huge aftermarket of parts available for their guns. I do like that stock, and if it's available it may go on my SS 22.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Was talking to The Kali Kid the other day and told him,that I fucking near suplized him with a 22LR RAR receiver in the Mail and an Annie 54 1827 Biathlon spout...to build a Sleeper with. I think it'd prolly shoot and would be a Mind Fuck.

Got sidetracked trying to run Frank Green down and find out how long his S/S .920" Special Run 10/22 spouts are,as there's (40) for the pickin'. He's as good with Email and the phone,as I am.(grin)

Sleepers have always cracked me up....................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
RAR Rimfires SHOOT,but the stocks are shit. With the laminate handle,a solid foundation is based and they'll undoubtedly shoot circles around their Shitty Chassis Bitches.

Ruger mags can't be beat either,for Utilitarian shit.................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I heard a rumor,about a new reamer hitting them shores. Give the goofy fucker a shout on the horn and I'm sure you can get the ball rolling.

I'm fairly certain he's ALL Rimfired up...............(grin)

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I'll probably be picking up a few that I've seen announced so far...

I like the looks of that RAR and have found them available, I just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet...

I like the thoughts of a RimX, especially in WSM...but Volquartsen just announced today, that they have the Summit toggle bolt available in the same chambering...

I'm going to drop my 1710 Anniversary into an MDT chassis, to see how she likes it...

I've also got to get a scope on my Lithgow, to see what it likes...

Stick....scratch that Fortener itch....it's as fun as any I own...and that's a few.........grin

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I assume the VQ is still sipping off Ruger rotary mags,on the big guy?

The new Annie 1761 kinda intrigues and will be easier to toss a S/S barrel aboard.

I'll take RAR laminate over the chassis.................

Billybaroo

Jan 18, 2020
well It’s been a spell, well long enough I had to build a new handle, krusty to billybaroo! High Zoot yes, this is my first flea flicker Of this caliber and will not be the last. VD sinister 18” bartlein barrel in Kukri w/5 x 20 SWFA. Test day @ 100 yrd Line 5 deg. tried around 10 different pills but at low temp midis+ and the other three fared the close to same.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Nice! Try treating it in a bit of saltwater, maybe some fish slime. Help you fit in around here. What do you figure it weighs all-in?

JIMMY 808

Oct 10, 2011
My son and his boys rifle and his cousins biathlon rifle.

Have a hi grade low wall 22rf shoots ok but sure is pretty.
EA5421FD-F211-40E6-8FDC-C383B2F638C2.jpeg
D746B739-14D3-4205-85DC-CFE52ED952A3.jpeg

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
That's a good looking bitch Billy.

In fairness,I don't know anyone who's caught more 75#+ Trout than you...........................

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
And we have yet another high end contender throwing their hat into the ring....

Christiansen 22

Sub $1000 and uses Ruger mags, if they shoot they’ll sell like hot cakes....
The whole reason I got my Proof barreled Vudoo, was to have an ultralight do it all rifle....

I'll have one of these just to see WTF....

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've never seen anything Christensen that impressed me.

Would be nice,if this was the first!

Not sure about the alloy receiver and will be curious to see how the barrel is affixed..............................

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
And we have yet another high end contender throwing their hat into the ring....

Christiansen 22

Sub $1000 and uses Ruger mags, if they shoot they’ll sell like hot cakes....
My uncle is at SHOT, right now. The folks at Christensen said the new .22 Ranger would be available, via distribution chain, in April......unless he ordered $20k worth. :D

I love the spec sheet: lightweight, MOA accuracy, Ruger mags, and a TriggerTech for good measure. I already told him I wanted a tan one, whenever they become available. The Ranger should finish checking all the boxes Tikka missed with their T1x.

I wonder if Kimber will jump back into the .22 game?

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I've waited for Kimber to offer a Montanaesque .22LR and 17 HMR...but I don't see it happening...

Of course, I'm stacked deep with Annies, Vudoo's etc.....so I could see it happening just to motherfuck me.....

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Don't wait for Kimber to do anything. I'm convinced the Montana was a weird intersection of luck and Kimber has no clue what they did. Whoever hired Nehemia Sirkis and Melvin Forbes must be long gone. All Kimber has done since is paint it various colors. They persist in fucked up twist rates, foolish chambering decisions, and add-on bullshit like brakes.

They also make decorative WWI pistols and recently introduced a shiny revolver.

I love Montanas, but I'm not even mildly impressed with Kimber.