data-csrf="1711686935,58ae7270ba82c9364ac65b43ac30ae24" How’s things in your neck of the woods | As Real As It Gets

How’s things in your neck of the woods

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Planning for the worst and hoping for the best :)

Haven't really done much, but I figure we are a week behind the rest of the world and in a better place than many. As long as the power holds, we've got a year worth of game meat - just going to start the atkins diet I guess.

We have old inlaws in town, and a young kid. I'm probably going to work from home as much as I can, keep the kid separated from others as much as is feasible, and not visit the inlaws. Worried about my folks down south, but there isn't really anything I can do about that.

FAR from panicked, but I don't think it would be a bad idea to lay in some basic supplies.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
They pulled the kids from school until the first week in April at least. Just today they have asked to shut down any person to person restaurant. Local supermarket has limits on how many of some items you can purchase, shelves still as full as normal.
I’m a little nervous that they’ll shut down all of the usual spring time shut downs in the refinery or steel mills. These are a decent part of my yearly income.

Last edited:

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
Curious to hear your take on it JP.
I'd say your plan is sound and about the same as mine.
I think we are in this for the long haul as in months and will effect things that we may not have thought about.
I've been trying to anticipate what or how is could effect me and my family and hopefully nothing unexpected comes up though who knows
We've always kept extra food and necessities as its cheaper to buy in bulk where we live
It's yet to be seen if it effects fuel or barge service at some point
Our schools are now closed which I think is a good thing and don't expect them to reopen this school year
We've family down south that we are worried about also

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
I’m stocked up for a few weeks of the fresh stuff and then have lots of the non-perishable and frozen to last months. But that’s normal for me.
school is closed and the outfit I work for is working from home for the next few weeks. My 401k is tanking, but I’m 43 so that’s ok for now.
Grocery stores are being mobbed. The governor has closed much of the state.

mkoeh475

Dec 24, 2007
Wisconcsin
Same her in WI. Schools closed state wide, no gatherings over 50 people, my workbis looking into getting as many people working from home as possible. We made sure to have a bunch of food on hand 2 weeks ago and 5 days ago was the start of mass panic at stores.

Having food, fresh water, etc on hand is normal for us so it was no big deal to build up a little more.

Damn weird to have schools and churches shut down. My wife is an RN at a local hospital in the ICU and the common belief is that we are just at the start of the mess.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I didn't take this very seriously until the last few days.

Here in Tennessee, they've just closed schools for the next couple of weeks, but it could be longer.

We were supposed to be getting on a cruise ship on Saturday but that got canned...

We changed our flights to go to Destin...but that got canned...

Thankfully, we've always been good about stocking up and there's plenty of deer, turkey etc... in the freezer...

I'm really worried about my clients though...they're all small, local businesses and I can see this crushing their businesses...I'm worried that more than a few won't be able to last...

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
Some folks at my work were similar. Some of them started trying to prepare Friday. The last three or four weeks I was talking to them about what I was doing to get ready. They seemed to just write it off till Friday when the schools closed. Then they were in oh shit mode.

I bet all them Preppers are like “I told you so”.
A “zombie apocalypse” is just a metaphor for any disaster, government collapse, pandemic, fend for yourself situation.

This is a pretty good read of you like odds.

SnowshoeWalker

Oct 1, 2018
Alaska
I'm in Fairbanks and it's been pretty chaotic at stores lately....especially the Toilet Paper. What is it with people freaking out about not having mountains of fresh TP? I'm good to go....3 huge freezers chock full, wife loves to bake and we're well supplied on dry goods. Kids are home schooled, so no worries there. A couple hundred gallons of fuel for the generator and I'm ready to go "self quarantine " on some ice fishing trips.

d2junky

Feb 10, 2010
WV still no cases. No paper product of any kind. Little milk. In the stores that is. Looked long and hard at some tortillas just to wipe my backside.

one of my idiot employees went to Charlotte yesterday which is a hotbed right now in NC. just found out about it and sending her home. I generally refer to her as the damn Fomite anyway.

d2junky

Feb 10, 2010
We lost all of our game meat to a tits up freezer....but plenty on the hoof and we have beef for days. We have a corner store that doubles as the liquor store. They eeee out of milk but had gallons of booze. I’m stocked there

bgold

Jul 30, 2008
Missouri
No TP, eggs, milk, bread, ammo or any of that stuff in stores.

I'm good for now, although not as much meat in the freezer as I would like. Was making room for a side of beef. Plenty of meat walking around if it ever came to that.

snowchaser

Jul 27, 2010
vermont
Here all of the supermarkets are wiped out of meat and TP by 7 am. All restaurants are closed except for take out, schools are all closed as well as colleges and churches, construction sights shut down. Most people are working from home. The roads are empty. I just left Boston and made it home in 35 minutes , it usually takes 1 1/2 hours. We will not shut down or even slow down as we are emergency service and are never off the road.

mkoeh475

Dec 24, 2007
Wisconcsin
Never thought i would see the day when bars in Wisconsin are shut down. Schools closed indefinitely here now too. Luckily the stores seem to be more normal now and peiple are able to get what they need.

It doesn't seem real

gbp

Sep 16, 2008
New Mexico
was supposed to hunt tahr on the south island of NZ but their government put a mandatory quarantine of 14 days on anybody coming into the country that turns a 7 day hunt into a month
stock market didn't help either

• Sad
Reactions: Painless

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
Currently deployed in Africa, the wife is off work until the end of April. There are a couple cases in our county back home. I’ve always worried about being deployed when something crazy happens. My Battalion had the ninth ward in New Orleans during Katrin, and that was truly shitty. Hopefully the crazy doesn’t last long and it’s just overblown bull shit...

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
Yesterday Washington DOH reported 1187 confirmed cases and 66 resulting deaths. New cases are emerging rapidly.
I think the big sign everyone is looking for is to see daily numbers of new cases fall for several days. Until that point I expect folks to be pretty well on edge worrying about just how bad this will get.
Right now it’s like a wildfire that’s 0 percent contained.
Unfortunately we have places like Italy and China to show us how bad it can get.
Some folks will claim overreacting, others will claim complacency, same as always.
Is Larry or any of the guys stuck up on the slope? I saw the news blurb about some of the outfits holding guys over rather than doing the shift change.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Schools closed until April 10 here now. Rumors are circulating, but no known cases on the island. Everything is so shut down I can’t see it spreading much once it gets here. Have a home appraisal tomorrow from out of town I really want to happen.

Japan seems to have a handle on it, which should hopefully bode well for the herring roe on kelp market.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
Our Tokyo branch is all working from home, international cargo seems to be continuing. Their culture is very accepting of face masks and hygiene. They may have dodged it, or maybe they aren’t testing enough folks. Tokyo is stupid crowded. The place is an ocean of bodies.

Oatmealsavage82

Nov 15, 2011
Alberta Canada
I just rolled on shift yesterday. Any non essential staff are working from home. Sent the wife for some extra supplies the Monday before last so we will be ok for a bit. I don't think supply of groceries is low just the panic buying is insane. Guys fighting in small town supermarkets over asswipe. Went to a gunship in the city on Monday morning was there about 15 mins after opening. Would usually be 4-5 people in there was at least 40 people the shotgun shells and lever guns were flying off the shelves. Schools are closed more than likely until next September. All gyms, pools ect are closed. Lots of people are already getting layed off. I'm a little concerned of what people will be like when they run out of money to buy groceries in a couple weeks shit could get a little hairy. Also heard from a friend that the army has been told to stay within 250km of base so thinking the emergency act (war measures act) could be put in place soon.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Ammo and guns are suddenly flying off the shelves here... Schools are out for 3 weeks officially, but I had to stop by the school today to pick up some medication my daughter had at school, as they requested all parents pick up any and all medications... We're most likely not going to see them go back to school until the fall.

I normally work from my home office, but visit clients on a daily basis... The new norm seems to be calls and emails only, which I hate.

Watching all of this unfold is interesting to say the least. This morning, our internet was out and I thought my neighbors were going to riot due to not being able to work from home...

JIMMY 808

Oct 10, 2011

With the whole world sitting at home wearing pajamas nothing will surprises me with what people will do and use as an excuse.
Lazy kids some say lazy, parents is really what it is.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Gonna get an extra week out of the deal and if it gets weird,I'll just stay and crush checks.

No big deal.......................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
It's changing by the day,but current status is that all need a 14 consecutive day soak in Alaska,to knock the stench off...then they can slide up the hill.

We'll see how it goes................

d2junky

Feb 10, 2010
We won the Covid 19 Championship and then quickly rose to 39 cases. Mostly because people don’t effing listen.

I live 5 miles from a local resort with about 1000 second homes that belong to....you guessed it.....NY Jews and DC snowflakes. Those fuckers have been coming in by the carload.....and our local hospital is a glorified double wide. I’m bugging out to the compound where the wife and baby have been stashed for a week already.
I’ve never been a doomsday prepper per se....but we can eat and shoot for 3 months and never have to go to town.

Apr 3, 2010
I still say this won't exceed deaths from the flu. If you are 70 or over, stay home and have someone bring groceries by. This thing feels like one massive power play aimed at getting Trump. Problem is Trump has looked pretty good. Las I saw Biden, he claimed he was running for the senate.

My business has slowed, but both my employees work from home anyway. It'll pass and we'll look back on this as the massive fakeness it is. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Painless

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
We switched to working 3/3 Hitches and will Charter dedicated aircraft,to preclude shaking shit up,more than requisite. Guys have the choice to go 4/4 if they want.

A 3wk Spring Fling prolly won't suck..................(grin)

Reactions: 30338

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
We're about understand why A-rabs in treeless areas ONLY eat with their right hands. Working from home, sorta. It doesn't actually "work" for those of us in manufacturing.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
Same as everywhere, every thing closed mostly.

Right now home recouping from shoulder surgery and going to therapy 3x week. Freezer is stocked, dry/can goods are gtg. Got booze, the essentials....

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Got booze, the essentials....
Helped out the widow next door with her Lexus that was acting up. Practicing proper social distancing, she called to inform me she'd left a little something in front of my garage. Found a paper bag with a bottle Woodford Reserve inside.

Seems the Good Lord has blessed me with the work of my hands....

Reactions: Prowler

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Couldn't get ANYONE on the phone the other day,as everyone was out chasing Kings or Steelhead.

The one asshole I did get hold of,was headed for the Salt...............(grin)

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
My wife works in healthcare and they're all restricted to any travel over 50 miles away...

We can't even go to our farms without being outside the 50 mile radius...

snowchaser

Jul 27, 2010
vermont
Wife just informed me that if I go to my hunting camp I will be put in a two week quarantine. I asked her whats the downside to that? I have to wait 2 more weeks for enough snow to melt so I can get in and we will see what happens then, all I know is I am going.

Reactions: Prowler

mkoeh475

Dec 24, 2007
Wisconcsin
I went to the grocery store a couple days ago and made sure to drive by walmart, fleet farm and lowes. I was surprised how many people were out and about shopping. Not many cases of the virus here but I am sure it will hit soon. Too many people cant break their routines.

Lots of counties here that thrive on tourism and vacation homes are now telling people to not come up. We are just waiting for the snow to melt and then will head up to the cabin for a bit.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
As per Governor's Decree(#12)

"Personal travel is prohibited except as necessary to meet critical personal needs or work in critical infrastructure jobs. Critical personal needs include buying, selling, or delivering groceries and home goods; obtaining fuel for vehicles or residential needs; transporting family members for out-of-home care, essential health needs, or for purposes of child custody exchanges; receiving essential health care; providing essential health care to a family member; obtaining other important goods; and engaging in subsistence activities. Travelers are reminded to follow social distancing measures, including, to the extent reasonably feasible, keeping six feet away from others, avoiding crowded places, and limiting public gatherings to less than ten people. Read the “Mandate 11 and 12 FAQ’s” for more details."

"Engaging in subsistence activities"...is my MO....................