data-csrf="1711638868,e42db506e421dcfbee3b794e68d88c89" Howa action for a re barrel .223 | As Real As It Gets

Howa action for a re barrel .223

stranger

Nov 3, 2017
AK
I've got an older wood blued S&W 1500 (Howa) .223 that is not as accurate as I would like. I'm kicking around the idea of putting a new higher rpm barrel on it. I've never done the re barrel thing, so pretty much a novice. Right now the mag box and bolt stop won't allow me more than 2.35, I'm loading my 50 gr bullets at 2.31. It may not be worth putting a faster barrel on this thing if I don't have the function capacity to load the heavier, longer bullets. I'd like to find a way to use this action, any ideas? Off load the whole thing and start with something new?

Background, had this thing for about 20 yrs, killed lots of critters with it, so some attachment there. Never was a tackdriver, but adequate. I dinked around with free floating, fore end pressure, different loads, different scopes, etc and never landed on what I would like to see from a .223 bolt gun. Just trying to get opinions to see if it is worth messing with.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I can like Howies pretty good. If I was gonna drive a 223 at 2.35" COAL,it'd be a Krunchenticker.

1-7" for me,no longer than 21" and I'd arrange 2.5" COAL as a minimum...because it's fucking easy.

If you like the stock/balance,then simply dupe. For ease,it's tough to whoop AICS DBM,because they have the COAL available and are unmatched for feed/function.......................

stranger

Nov 3, 2017
AK
What is a good OAL to shoot for with long, say 77gr, bullets? Obviously rifle specific, but ballpark.

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State
What is a good OAL to shoot for with long, say 77gr, bullets? Obviously rifle specific, but ballpark.
If you are asking about a dummy round COAL, shoot for a bit less than Stick's cited 2.5" as that will be all that is available of room in the modified magazine and you will want some leeway for proper feed/function.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I shoot numerous spouts longer than that(COAL)...but 2.450" COAL has long been the 75 A-Max sweet spot for me.........................

Reactions: Brazo

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Stranger I just happened upon your thread.

I have an old Vanguard I’m intending doing exactly the same with...

Much like the blueprint Big Stick suggests, going for 7”t or maybe even 6.5”t if I can source a barrel. Sporter or slightly heavier contour at 20” only. Want to shoot the 88 ELDM and will chamber in 223AI.

I hope to get about 2700-2750fps from this setup which will duplicate my 6BR trajectory in a lighter, softer package - not that the BR is a brute!

In respect of the mag box, I was going to swap out the 223 internals for a 308 box and follower. Might take some fiddling but with the bolt stop filed down I should get all the OAL I need.

Other than that Atlasworxs bottom metal or similar would be a solution for an AICS mag.