data-csrf="1711624506,9c07a6714ce45233ed3fc7c8529526f5" Hunting Highlights | As Real As It Gets

Hunting Highlights

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Here's a video I put together with footage from last year's various hunting trips. I had to open up a YouTube account, since it's longer than the 5-min time limit PhotoBucket puts on their "free" account. There is some spring bear, fall bear, Haul Road caribou, and 20A anterless moose footage.

Link

I've been fishing really hard since moving up here in 2001, but last year was my first real attempt at hunting in Alaska. Not all of my hunts were successful, and I didn't whack any monsters, but I did have a hell of a good time and learned a lot. I bagged my first caribou and brown bear, so monsters or not, I suppose that counts for something. If nothing else, I guess this video illustrates my reasons for wanting to remain in Alaska for long damn time! :grin:

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I use the iLife software (iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, and iDVD) that comes bundled with every Mac. For doing this kind of work, a Mac really shines.

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Wife has a new mac she got last year, still haven't figured out how to lower the volume of the music to hear people talking on it....Not sure if thats the same program she uses or not.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
In iMovie '08, which is the latest version, it's called "ducking" when you lower the volume of one audio clip, to emphasize the sound of another. If you go under the "help" menu, you can check out the online tutorials to see how to use the auto-ducking feature. I don't remember off the top of my head.

I still use the older version (iMovie HD) because I am more proficient with it, and it has some capabilities the newest version doesn't have, like the ability to add DVD chapter markers. To adjust the volume levels of the various clips, you need to do three things:

1 - Toggle to the "timeline" view in the main iMovie screen. The button looks like a little clock, and It's in the lower left corner of the screen, just above your movie clips. This allows you to view the movie clip and two audio clips, in relation to the overall timeline of the movie.

2 - Once you have selected the timeline view, click on "View" in menu bar at the top of the screen. Check the selection that says "Show Clip Volume Levels". This will draw a purple line through each of your audio and video clips.

3 - Click on the purple line to drag it up or down to adjust the volume for your audio and video clips.

Bill, do you still have my phone number? If not, I'll PM it to you again. Feel free to call with questions. Glad to help.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Thanks, guys. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

The caribou hunt was an 8-day archery-only endeavor. It was my first bow hunt, and my first attempt at chasing caribou. I had a great time!

I shot my bull on day seven. We saw more caribou that day, than we did the whole rest of the trip. The big guy (the running 'bou) was spooked by some other hunters, but I was able to get some good video of him.

The big herd in the video, guessing 80 animals or so, about ran my buddy over. He was hiding, and the lead cow walked into the arrow that was nocked on his bow! She never knew he was there.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
It's time to start working on the 2008 hunting highlights.

Dan, you bringing that video camera this weekend?