data-csrf="1711636393,962d61f3a6530fc5edd681d8f0d4a146" Ideas for a New Build | As Real As It Gets

Ideas for a New Build

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I've got the itch for a handy little build as a gift to my dad. He's always talking about how heavy his rifles are these days and how much he likes the 6.5 Creed...so he's getting one... whether he likes it or not...

If I could find an 84M Montana in said caliber, I'd call it a day, but those don't seem to be around, so I'm bouncing ideas here.

He'll only shoot factory ammo, so most likely it'll be fueled with 140 ELD's from Hornady.

The rifle's main use will be killing...killing deer...killing coyotes...killing groundhogs, etc...

My thought was to go with a 22" light contour or maybe a Proof carbon barrel...mainly because he's always wanted one and likes my rifles that have them. I'm also thinking carbon because I hate the way a can looks on the end of a skinny little barrel.

I suppose a 700 footprint action, either a factory or maybe a Defiant Deviant with a TT Diamond and a Mesa Alpine stock...

What am I missing or where am I going wrong?

Obliged for any and all input...

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Your call, but I'd do a HARD search for a Montana before building on a 700 if light weight was the goal. Any 84M with a 308 bolt face can be rebarreled to 6.5CM and throated better than the OEM Kimber. Maybe a WTB ad on 24 Hour Couch Fire. And at least try a call to Whittakers. If Kimber is making any, they'll know.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
“24 hour Couch Fire”. Perfect!.....😂

With the Montana’s and Fieldcrafts out there I’ve pretty much abandoned the thought of building light.

I fully understand the dislike of having a skinny barrel then hanging a can on it, my 308 isn’t very pleasing to the eye but it works none the less. The downside of going with a fatter carbon wrapped barrel is having to use a stock with a wider forend.

If I was going to do what you want to do I’d just shop around for a donor Kimber and send it off to Cali for a new barrel with a little more contour.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
I agree with the above posts totally.

For me with lightweight comes slim and trim and the Montana personifies that. I'd find one and rebarrel if needed, you still won't be in it any more than building from the ground up

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Here is a Fieldcraft in 6.5CM on Gunbroker. After tripping the scope and brake you’re in the neighborhood on the high side of what a re-barreled Montana would run. A little spendy but no hassle involved.

6.5CM on Gunbroker

Last edited:

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
I don't own one, never shot one either, but the Tikka Super Lite "exclusives" that Sportsman's Whorehouse and now Cabelas/Bass Pro sell look mighty close to a cheaper answer, and people who have them report great things. Even Stick is out of the closet as a Tikka fan now. Sort of.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
If you can stomach the tikka, it does very well for the price. There, I said it. :)

That said, if I were building a rifle for my dad, that isn't the route I'd go. For a rifle that's going to get the shit kicked out of it, plastic is rather fantastic. There's downsides for sure, but they are not without appeal.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I just looked at the Seekins Havak Element on their website... 5.5 lbs looks good...but the price makes rebarrelling a Montana sooooo much more appealing...but I'd still like an AICS footprint...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I can love AICS for many things,that's for sure.

I'd simply build a 264 Kreed',with a shorter throat,which replaces the AICS move....................