data-csrf="1711650927,e3056576059483d347c4fc215f0933dc" Leica binos...... | As Real As It Gets

Leica binos......

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
I currently use 8x20 Trinovids for bowhunting Whitetail, and like them very much. Gonna probably be heading westward for Elk next year and want a little more x's.

I can get a set of 10x42's HD Trinovids for next to nothing. How do these fair?

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Its been a while since I looked through Trinovids, but at one point I did a side by side on a brand new pair VS my (older) 10x Ultravids. I couldn't tell any difference, and that is the highest compliment I could give.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The Sig CRUSHES all things Leica in the LRF Department.

I'd spend the savings on a new rifle and scope...................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Never was a Swaro Fan. Most Leica wares are rather good. I see some 10x T-vid HD's (demo's) for $829.

Pass the fucking Sig's.................

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
So, gawking through the 3000's for a spell have you found that they are hard on your eyes? I've had binos before that are hard on your blinkers. Head felt like I was through a week long excursion of booz'n...

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Well.......I pulled the trigger on the Leica Trinovids. Cost me a whoop'n $140.91 outta my pocket to my door....laffin. Work perks helped feed my wants...

I'm not gonna shy away from the 3000 though. I figure time will do wonders for improvement once I get into buy mode.

Thanks to all that have replied!.......

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
That's another nice thing about this neighborhood,there's enough folks of like mind,that it's easy to arrange a R&D Run...because there's enough of everything running around.

There were more than a few 3000's sold,when they were compared/contrasted to Geovids at work,because it was ugly and ALL Sig..................

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
I haven't heard/found a single bad thing in regards to the 3000's rangefinding capabilites. The only thing I've read was the lack of quality of glass. But it's a rangefinder and does exactly what it's supposed to do.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
You won't see sumptin' with one,that you won't the other...but you'll SURE as fuck be able to range with one and NOT the other.

Today was one of them days. The Sig's ability to chew through conditions is simply fucking amazing and that'll correct for angles to it's furthest reading,do not suck.

ALL Leica's lose that feature at the 1200yd line,by design,which is fucking stupid on their part.....................

starsky

Jul 17, 2012
Colorado
They’re all useless to me until someone throws the readout into the left barrel. I’ll keep rocking the zeiss/Nikon 4000 until that happens...

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Laffin.....I was home long enough to open the box then I got sent out on another job for work. Once I leave here I'll be home for a few weeks. Then I'll be able to take a good look through them.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
They’re all useless to me until someone throws the readout into the left barrel. I’ll keep rocking the zeiss/Nikon 4000 until that happens...
Curious as to why that is? As I recall you are a lefty, so I'm assuming left eye dominance? Do you not see the readout at all?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
No matter how many eyes one has,less components are still fewer.(grin)

The BDX absolutely CRUSHED all the Geovids,when we drug $10,000 of glass to work. Yes...my Geovids were amongst the crash.(grin)

NO fucking comparison,as the Sig is simply in a realm of it's own..............

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
In the vicinity of dandihood
I had BRF 10x42's and Zeiss 10x45's @ the same time, kept the Zeiss, sold the Leica. Then bought 8x45 Zeiss and ditched the 10's for more FOV. Next I bought 8x42 HD'b's, sold the Zeiss 8x45's. Ran the Leica's for ~3 seasons then bought Swaro EL Range in 8x42. Sold the Leica.

Swaro and Leica are same/same regarding optical quality. Swaro LRF while slower, is reliable for me to ~1800yds. I like Leica's smaller designator square, but, that doesn't trump the more reliable LRF.

Regarding the OP and 8x20's vs. 10x42's. If 8x isn't enough, neither is 10x. I'd much rather glass w/8's then verify w/15's or a spotter.

starsky

Jul 17, 2012
Colorado
Curious as to why that is? As I recall you are a lefty, so I'm assuming left eye dominance? Do you not see the readout at all?
Righty for all things sans shooting, yep. Right eye has what is best described as eye AIDS, so it taps out at 20/60 corrected. LASIK won’t help, so it just is what it is. I can see a hint of a shadow of the readout, but not enough to read. Can close my left eye to read it, but then I can’t see what it’s aiming at. Lands me squarely in the separate binos/RF group for the time being.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Simply try the BRF as "usual",then jump your nose and range from the portside.

It can be did...as I'm doing it off the front porch now.................

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Eye AIDS. Man, college has changed a lot since I was there. Grin.

I guess I can't talk too much, as I have a case of eye Herpes at the moment. Good luck fixing it. 2 working eyeballs is underrated.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've worked/shot with alotta guys,who only have one "working" blinker and a suplizing number of handicapped color blind fuckers too.

Easy to tell a One Blinker Guy on a hillside,as he's the one who's gotta BEAT every fucking tree to the ground,due the lack of perception and ability to see a lean.(grin)

Have had multiple on the same Crew and it sounds like a Woodpecker WAR!

Poor bastards!!!...............(grin)

starsky

Jul 17, 2012
Colorado
Eye AIDS. Man, college has changed a lot since I was there. Grin.

I guess I can't talk too much, as I have a case of eye Herpes at the moment. Good luck fixing it. 2 working eyeballs is underrated.
Haha been outta college for 4 or 5 years now, born with this shit. All good... good luck on your eye, that’s no fun.

Simply try the BRF as "usual",then jump your nose and range from the portside.

It can be did...as I'm doing it off the front porch now.................
Could prolly do that easy enough. Killing season starts in less than a week, so rolling with what I got. Long as the new spotter shows up in time...

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
After using the 10x42's HD Trinovids earlier this month, I gotta say they are pretty damn good. Was able to put buttons atop of yearlings heads around 200 yds so the clarity and colors are there.

Never strained my eyes one bit as other binos have done in the past.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
Ran my buds kilo 3000’s for several days last week on a late season elk hunt. Was pretty handy for me being the spotter and calling the ranges as he set up for the shot.
Optical quality was so so, but plenty good enough not to be a handicap. Though we both went back to our SLC’s for serious glassing. He bought his SLC’s after having used mine a few times.
Was a reoccurring pain in the ass getting them to pair up with the Kestrel, but kind of cool that once paired the dope was displayed in the bino as well as the Kestrel.
They ranged good out to around 1600 yards on critters and brush. All hand held. Probably do better on a tripod.
Seemed like a decent setup.