data-csrf="1711629732,26c371a384afe31f268a04ecb2a13492" Leupold scope demise | As Real As It Gets

Leupold scope demise

Accraholic

Nov 27, 2007
Oregon coast
I been gone about 10 years. When I left Leupold was considered solid equipment, now a quick glance at topics shows they have fallen. Did they stop making good scopes, or did something way better come along ?

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
Better range finders, bullets, and Ballistic programs. If you don't dial and don't reticle then Leupold is ok. If you do they make high dollar Mark 5's that are priced right along with wares from more reputable companies, or you can get lower price point scopes that perform better.

Technology, reliability, and features advanced, Leupold didn't.......

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Elder vintage Reupolds are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more reliable,than their new attempts. They elect to schlep shit wares,to the unsuspecting.

A sub 300 Clam MQ Fixed Fucker,sooooooo crushes their every offering............................

Accraholic

Nov 27, 2007
Oregon coast
I glanced at this site a couple years ago and seen the swfa scope talk. I ordered a couple, and then never even opened the box. I gave one as a gift, still have the other, still in the box. I don't even know if I ordered the right model.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The internal design was never stellar and then they cheapened up those parts,which exacerbated the issues. Saw (3) NIB Reupolds puke on a single outing,trying to sight them in.

A Fixed Fucker is zero'd,with but a single shot...then it stays put,until you want to move it..................

Accraholic

Nov 27, 2007
Oregon coast
Divorce started it, moved around a bit, no handy access to internet for a while, then other hobbies, Facebook and YouTube get most of my computer time lately. You were probably hoping I had a cool story about being abducted by space aliens, or being in a Mexican prison all this time. I have been digging around in some of my shooting, and reloading stuff lately, don't even remember what all I have. Starting to get the shooting itch again. Have a big house now, plenty of room to unpack stuff, set up the reloading operation again, etc. Cool to see new technology, but sad to see some of my brand new stuff is obsolete now.

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
Cool to see new technology, but sad to see some of my brand new stuff is obsolete now.
Sorry to hear about life getting in the way. With regards to technology in this game, it's become like every other hobby. Therefore, it has become an arms and money race. No longer are the days of M40A1s/M24 with BDL magboxes and Leupolds. Chassis are all the rage which I can't get behind.

With regards to scopes, lotsa good mil/mil FFP scopes on the market today even sub $1K. I just recently replaced an M4 M1 due to lack of tracking and stubborn in desire to replace. However, went with a Nikon Black illum. FX1000 4-16x50 FFP for sub $500...Miles ahead of the Leupold (even with the crummy warranty).

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Last I remember you were racing cars, so I figured you had just switched gears (sorry about that) and would be back eventually. Regardless, welcome back.

Reactions: Accraholic

bgold

Jul 30, 2008
Missouri
I'm actually in the same boat Accra, and thought same about Leupys too. Glad to see some answers, but just bought a VX-6 1-6 so that didn't make me feel good.

For me, drive just let for a while after we sold the farm...which is where we hunted. Started playing with ARs, but still wasn't as into it all as I was. Kids being in ultra competitive winter sports didn't help.

Maybe we can both stick around.

Divorce started it, moved around a bit, no handy access to internet for a while, then other hobbies, Facebook and YouTube get most of my computer time lately. You were probably hoping I had a cool story about being abducted by space aliens, or being in a Mexican prison all this time. I have been digging around in some of my shooting, and reloading stuff lately, don't even remember what all I have. Starting to get the shooting itch again. Have a big house now, plenty of room to unpack stuff, set up the reloading operation again, etc. Cool to see new technology, but sad to see some of my brand new stuff is obsolete now.
been there, done that man! i'm still playing catch up with the advances. I'm down on the kenai if you ever come this way. I'm good for some phucked up stories that'll make you laugh at least. Congrats on the freedom!

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I been gone about 10 years. When I left Leupold was considered solid equipment, now a quick glance at topics shows they have fallen. Did they stop making good scopes, or did something way better come along ?
I think more than anything, Leupold rested on their laurels...while everyone else developed better equipment. Sig, Bushnell, SWFA just to name a few, have eaten Leupy's lunch for a while. Nightforce and Kahles have taken the high end and tactical market from them as well.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Reupold didn't listen to ANYONE that shoots and simply freeballed Fluff and cutting corners.

Which very obviously show,from stem to stern..............

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
Name recognition was thought to be their continued success. They didn't look around.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Replacing shit,with shit...still horns more than a few folks up and is ALL that they are running upon.

The 'Horn said it well yesterday,while we were Rifle Fucking Around,"once you have a scope that works,you hate everything else".

Who wouldn't LOVE for Reupold to get their schit together,but it simply ain't in the cards,due literal design,materials and practices................

Accraholic

Nov 27, 2007
Oregon coast
I seen your link to the 10x scope on sale at SampleList and ordered a couple of them. Ordered a Kidd barrel and trigger kit the other day...like I said hanging around this place gets expensive. What is the latest greatest mount and rings for the 30mm on a Ruger 10/22 ?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I want a 1913 interface,with all the inclination I can get and then 40 MOA 'Horn Rings to boot. 75 MOA don't aspook me,with a Fixed Fucker,due their 40+ Mils of internal adjustment and the odds that a 10/22 spout ain't square to start with.

Maximum ring spacing,is your scope's best friend for taking abuse..................

Accraholic

Nov 27, 2007
Oregon coast
Already pulled the trigger on that, Google took me right to them. They say an extra 3 weeks because "custom", I hope they are exaggerating.

MontanaMan

Nov 28, 2007
Elder vintage Reupolds are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more reliable,than their new attempts. They elect to schlep shit wares,to the unsuspecting.
This ^^^^^^^^^^^

All my old ones work fine; haven't bought a new Leupold in 8-10 years & have moved one to other brands, SWFA & Nightforce mainly with some Sigs & S&B thrown in when I can afford it.

MM

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Guys here at work,are going nuts buying Fixed Fuckers.

Quite a few Reupold failures this Season and the boys are starting to see the light.....................