data-csrf="1711714501,b78c8edb8688287a70208c7329f6c316" Lightweight hunting optic | As Real As It Gets

Lightweight hunting optic

ABabyEater

Mar 7, 2021
As the title reads, I am looking for suggestions on a lightweight hunting optic. I am swapping out a PSTII 5-25x, seeing as the thing is 2lbs, and adding it to an already chonky rifle is no fun for hiking.

More specifically, I will be using it in Montana brush, for chasing Elk, likely no more than 600yds. Would prefer FFP, exposed turrets (at the very least elevation), illumination not necessary.

As for price point, ~$1k is fine, a little higher or lower no issure, but I'd prefer to stay away from the $2k+ range.

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Undoubtedly there are gonna be guys comment shortly who have played with a bunch of different glass, and Stick is prolly gonna say SS 6x Mil Quad....(grin) but I finally got on the bandwagon and tried a Bushy LRHS 3-12.... And now all my main hunting rigs are getting them. And by "main rigs" I mean the Kimbers that get strapped to backpacks and horses, pickups and atv's and boats for sheep, elk, moose, deer, and bears.
I'll gladly pay the 11oz weight penalty over a 3.5-10 x 40 Leupold to have glass that I KNOW is going to track and hold zero.

That said, as a backpacker I fully understand that if you take care of the ounces the pounds will take care of themselves, but I'm learning (slowly) that my rifle optic and mounting system ain't the place to cut weight.

Not what you were looking for as far as recommendations, but definitely a different viewpoint that might help sway your choice.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've had ZERO "luck" ala LRHS.

The 3-12x LRTSi is fucking SPLENDID.

For applications cited,the 1-6x HD rates more than a thunk.

That being said,NOTHING could get "away" from a 6x MQ,unless Illumination is a MANDATE in an offbeat scenario(where it has NO fucking equal).................................

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
I gotta say, the LRHS on my 223AI has been life changing. Well, not MY life, but there have been a handful of song dogs now in the last week where the LRHS has made a positive impact....(grin)

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
What’s light weight? 15oz, 20oz, 25oz?
I like the NSX compact 2.5-10 in mill-r, but it’s not FFP. It’s 20oz. It don’t mount well on long actions.
March has a few offerings in the 22oz range. Have a pard that likes the D25V42TML a lot. It’s $2200 retail though.
Another good 22oz scope is the Zeiss v4 at around $1k.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
There's MUCH to be said for Rugged Reliability and most Platform Pukes are either optics or their mounting systems.

Both are easily engineered out and liberating...................

Ralphper

May 6, 2021
  • Deleted by cwh
Show…