data-csrf="1711698006,13fa3ffb9738a82e4a0fcfb07de4343f" Merit or otherwise of the Howa platform? | As Real As It Gets

Merit or otherwise of the Howa platform?

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
My mate just called me asking whether its worth hitting go button on a Howa S1 in 7-08. Great price, a stainless in the Hogue handle.

What's the COAL / throating look like on this platform in respect of loading the 162g Amax, if anyone knows those details?

He wants it for deer and pigs and ringing the odd steel plate out to 900y on my little home range.

Thanks for anyone who might be able to help. I don't want him to buy it if he's going to be disappointed with his load options. (Espesh when I am going to be doing the loading for him).

- Bob

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
One could do much worse.

There's ZERO chance of kissing a 162,as issued...but they'll stabilize. With a DBM and no binder plate,one can smooch.

Howa/Vanguard's are Weatherby's BEST offerings by light years,though Hogue is best left to Rimfires.

For a donor I'd want a 700. For turn key roll of the dice,the Howa ain't a bad pitch....................

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
In the vicinity of dandihood
I've owned half-dozen of them in various forms, S&W 1500, Howas, Vanguards, from 223 up to 300Win and they were all accurate from the get-go. The early ones even had good adjustable triggers, the latter need a swap. The only real legitimate bitch one could have about them is that they're a little heavy. I guess gunsmith's bitch about their metric threads too, but that's not my concern. I'm sure I'll own another.

4th_point

Dec 4, 2013
Oregon
Never owned a Howa but my first concern is the tiny screw that holds the bolt stop. Some people shear that screw right off, presumably from running the bolt hard.

Other than that, the Howa seems like a decent action. But here, you can get a 700 for $400 which is about the same price as the budget rifles.

Jason