data-csrf="1713303006,4a60c7e191e8073dc1eac80eac9c3a5f" Money changing hands | As Real As It Gets

Money changing hands

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
A buddy was sweating over buying a saw from out of state, and asking for how to hedge his bets.

Got me thinking that I have sent a small fortune to a whole bunch of folks that I know only through the internet, one usps money order at a time. And for the most part, without issue. There's been a few things left out of a few descriptions that I wish I'd known before hand, but 99.5% of transactions have been good. Pretty great track record, and now I've jinxed myself.

Anyway, how much do you think you have spent in person to person transactions with folks you've never met? Im thinking it has to be 50k for me, and I'm not a big spender compared to many. Kinda curious if my track record is the exception or the rule.

Reactions: firedog

Cuando

Oct 23, 2014
My dealings are but a small percentage of my postings on the forums and I'd bet I'm way south of 50k.

But it certainly makes a guy wonder why the fugg would anyone pose this question?

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Boredom?

Surprise at my own faith in humanity?

There were several years that all I read was the classifieds.

Sorry to have offended you so deeply.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
No idea how much funds. I’ve never had any real issues. I never send so much money that it would hurt much to lose it, so don’t get to worried about being taken.

Ive wasted (lost) more money buying brand new junk from businesses than buying used from strangers.

Last edited:

Cuando

Oct 23, 2014
Not offended in the least my friend and I apologize if that is how that came off.

I've been selling AR500 plates on the 24hcf for a bit and I've been rather impressed with how many good folks are actually still out there.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Lol, I figured :)

I probably buy more used shit than most, which I guess means I deal with more people 1:1 than most as opposed to buying from a store. Plus, I'm going back 15 years or so.

Want to go check out a saw? Grin

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Kinda curious if my track record is the exception or the rule.
I've experienced a similar track record with my online transactions. I don't ever remember being burned, when I've bought something, and I don't think I've ever been stiffed, whenever I've sold something.

I don't think I'm just lucky, either. I've met LOTS of people in the shooting sports, and they are just a good batch of folks.

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
Bought a pile of stuff over the years including two vehicles sight unseen from people I didn’t know in Seattle
Did sweat a little wiring 10k and hoping they would drop it off at AML and it be what they said it was.
all turned out good when I got the vehicle the next week

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Out of a couple hundred items sold/bought, there were 3 times that I was uneasy, and only once what I considered a problem.

Dude on the campfire bought a rifle from me, I had it listed as a package with rifle, rings, scope and brass. Guy calls and says he has plenty of brass, and the scope is worthless, what would I take for the rifle.

Gave him a price, shipped the rifle, received funds…then he calls and asks where the hell is the scope?????

Reminded him of our deal, but he gets the red ass with me, I shipped him the scope and said screw it, didn’t want to deal with the nonsense. This all transpired a couple weeks after he had received the rifle.

The other 2 are just ones that I will not do business with again.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Been pretty lucky in my dealings over the years. Couldn’t guess how many different transactions.

Had 2 firearm related deals that were a little less than truthful on the other parties part. First was a T/C 357 Max pistol barrel that had a bad chamber. Whether the other guy knew it or not is open to speculation but it worked out for me as I simply returned it to T/C and they replaced it with a brand new Custom Shop barrel. Second was a trade for a Savage 10MLII smokeless muzzleloader. The barrel was rung, couldn’t see it from the outside but sure as hell could feel it when pushing a tight jag through the bore. This one too ultimately worked out for me as Savage put a brand new barrel on it for no cost to me.

I don’t think I could ever buy a power tool sight unseen. Far too many retards out there that don’t take care of their tools which is also the reason I don’t let people borrow my stuff. It only cost me one small mig welder to figure that one out.....

Wiserfool

Sep 6, 2020
I have been internet forum purchasing since the old Shooters forum days, guns and later most vehicles we have owned. I have only had one issue, bought a 700 and found it advertised on another forum 3 days later. I hit the fuck you button, called both forum administrators, who in turn contacted him. I sent him an hourly barrage of emails telling him what the cops knew about our little transaction (which was actually nothing). He must have been on probation, cause he caved immediately and sent me the works. As far as total purchases over the years, hell it must be getting close to what Stick spends in a typical month I'd guess. Grin.

7mmMato2

Oct 7, 2019
Ive probably spent less than 10,000 but I buy a lot of little stuff and not just guns. I have never been burnt never had a bad transaction. There has been a few times that I have not bought from someone because I got a bad vibe from there listing or previous posts. Almost every time they later get called out for being cheats. Safariman for one. Larry from Wyoming the other.

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
I’ve had pretty good luck considering. Bought a “McMillan” off a guy that wasn’t. He was broke and had already spent the money when I received the package. It was a beat up Brown Precision so I didn’t get hurt too bad.

Another guy sent me a bad check for a down coat I was selling but he paid me back plus the bounced check fees. The old lady remembers that transaction to this day and doesn’t want me to take personal checks.

I sold a rifle to a guy that I had purchased used and not taken apart. He wasn’t pleased to find it had been bedded when he got it. I didn’t knowingly omit the information but felt bad about it.

Last edited:

Cuando

Oct 23, 2014
I bought a rifle for a friends kid for Christmas in early Nov 7-8 years back. The fella dragged his feet on it all worried because he didn't know the rules about shipping a gun to California. I FINALLY talked him into shipping it overnight and told him that I'd split the shipping with him. My buddy had to drive home 1.5 hrs from Christmas vacation to pick it up (after the ten day wait) on Christmas Eve. I was pissed and told the 24hcf regular he could eat shit on the shipping.

The other one was more recent. A 24hcf regular was looking for some RL 26 and the local gun store had some. He asked if I'd get some for his friend which turns out to be a GIGANTIC douche from the PNW. I figured WTF. Maybe it'll smooth over some bad blood. Boy was I wrong. Next time we got in an argument that faggot starts texting me and he's gonna come to my house and kick my ass doncha know. Acts like he knows who I am because he knows my name and we talked for 20 seconds on the phone. Total sociopath and stalker like behavior from a grown ass man.

• Haha
Reactions: Joshf303

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
I think that I hosed cwh on a tyvek transaction a while back. I probably marked up the material a good 10% or so.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Yes, you are a regular Jeff Bezos! Getting rich selling Tyvek. Sadly I've bought several rolls since then. Did sleep on that Tyvek a few nights in order to camp under a group of rams without having to cross the river every day. We ended up getting one though.

I forgot about one, where I shipped a rifle before getting payment. When the check showed up, it was $200 short. But we got that straightened out, so no harm done.

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Not overly positive, but I’m probably North of $25k myself. Only burned once on a “too good to be true” deal by a scammer.
Hell, I even bought a camera from some fucker off the innernetz, and when it showed up it was in better condition and more shit in the box than advertised. And I think that fucker in Alaska bought it from some OTHER fucker in Alaska!
I haven’t really had any poor interactions from guys that I see posting regularly.
About the worst one I had was some fucker from Alaska offering up use of his car (the nerve of that guy, offering to leave it at the airport for me….) and boat and camping gear when I’d asked a couple questions about shit to do when me and an ex were planning a vacation there that didn’t materialize. The nerve of some people….

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
I've been lucky too I guess.

I've bought more than I sold online. The only thing bad that's ever happened to me was I bought a 700 7mag that was supposed to include some 162 hornadys and some brass. I got the rifle but never got the other stuff. I said fuck it and let it go eventually.

Every other deal has went great, most people go out of their way to be cool.

We are lucky to hang out in a group of good folks.

Ndbowhunter

May 18, 2021
I'v had a lot more issues with the shippers then people

Dans Fieldcraft apparently was sticking out of th box

Teeder on the fire had to track down a 223 montucky I sent him. It went mia

And I sold a swfa 1-4 to id Daves buddy and the front bell was pancaked.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Well over $100K. (6) vehicles for starters,sight unseen.

Rifles,pistols,scatterguns,glass,spotters,cameras,lenses,etc.............................

7mmMato2

Oct 7, 2019
Another 25-06 yesterday..................
[/QUOTE]
What did you get? Im am currently without a 25-06 but I need to change that soon.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've 1000's of the 90 GMK HP's,but it's tough to light 50+ grains of powder,in something that a 223 will whip it's ass.

Rifle is rather sound and I might go FULL Retro,with a MK4 M1 10x................

Reactions: 7mmMato2

7mmMato2

Oct 7, 2019
I've 1000's of the 90 GMK HP's,but it's tough to light 50+ grains of powder,in something that a 223 will whip it's ass.

Rifle is rather sound and I might go FULL Retro,with a MK4 M1 10x................
It dont have to make sense.. :) Just something about the 25-06 that I like. Nostalgia I imagine.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
In fairness however and at a 3400fps launch in the morning's atmosphere,it'll stay supersonic to almost 800yds..................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
At 400yds it's going 2000fps with 20" of full value wind.

A SALAMI 223 with a 75 ELD makes 2000fps to 500+ yds from it's 2950fps launch and drifts less than 20" at same,in full value.

There's less than 75fps of impact velocity difference,at the 200yd line.......................

Reactions: 7mmMato2

Rman

Jun 4, 2008
Calgary, Canada
A buddy was sweating over buying a saw from out of state, and asking for how to hedge his bets.

Got me thinking that I have sent a small fortune to a whole bunch of folks that I know only through the internet, one usps money order at a time. And for the most part, without issue. There's been a few things left out of a few descriptions that I wish I'd known before hand, but 99.5% of transactions have been good. Pretty great track record, and now I've jinxed myself.

Anyway, how much do you think you have spent in person to person transactions with folks you've never met? Im thinking it has to be 50k for me, and I'm not a big spender compared to many. Kinda curious if my track record is the exception or the rule.
I'm about to find out! Trying to get a deal done on an 036 Pro. Fella is just outside Denver, in Aurora. Seems GTG so far...
All other dealings have been on forums and known sites (E-Bay, etc). This one is on CL, so we'll see!

R.