data-csrf="1713997475,e0ae70c1948321df10a8a978a6b826cf" Montana 223 rebuild | As Real As It Gets

Montana 223 rebuild

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Bringing the 223 Montana back from the dusty recesses of the gun safe. Going to have Shaen rebarrel, and he was talking Rock Creek.

Couple questions..

7 Twist? I don't even know what the cool 224 bullets are now. Will likely be shooting 75Amax initially.
Anybody have the "slightly heavier than factory contour" barrel? I'm curious what the actual weight difference would be. I'm inclined to just factory dupe, but I have an open-ish mind.
223 or 223AI? Probably personal preference more than anything... I have the dies, so will probably go AI.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I'd probably go 1-8" twist. I don't think the .223 is going to push the 88s fast enough to make them an attractive choice over the 75s. Might be wrong on that, though. I just know that my 1-8 twist barrels have been great with all the bullet weights I've shoved through them, from 40 - 75gr. Why change?

I plan to go 1-7.5" on my 22 Creed build, as soon as I find a suitable donor. I'd like to try the 88s out of it, where the faster speeds makes sense.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I go back and forth on the choice between plain and AI versions of the .223. I've run them both, and I lean more and more towards SAAMI .223 Rem. It's just less screwing around, and I don't shoot far enough that it makes a ballistic bit of difference to me.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Bringing the 223 Montana back from the dusty recesses of the gun safe. Going to have Shaen rebarrel, and he was talking Rock Creek.

Couple questions..

7 Twist? I don't even know what the cool 224 bullets are now. Will likely be shooting 75Amax initially.
Anybody have the "slightly heavier than factory contour" barrel? I'm curious what the actual weight difference would be. I'm inclined to just factory dupe, but I have an open-ish mind.
223 or 223AI? Probably personal preference more than anything... I have the dies, so will probably go AI.

I'll be in town Tuesday evening,with smoking checkbook in hand,should that help your "problem"?!?(grin)

If not...I've only got (1) Mike Rock 1-7" 223AI Montucky wearing a contour dupe,with shorter shank and 21" in length. I rather LOVE said platform and would happily Clone same.

The LAST fucking thing I'd wanna do to Montucky balance/handling,is fuck the contour up. As in VERY fucking last.

Hint..............(grin)

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I'll be in town Tuesday evening,with smoking checkbook in hand,should that help your "problem"?!?(grin)
Yeah, if I could borrow your checkbook for just a minute, that would be great!

Obliged, for the info. Was thinking 20" barrel.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
20" would be fine,I've Baby Montuckies that length too.

88's for me,for everything. They dig,slip wind and are just plum amazing.........................

False_Cast

May 31, 2016
MI
That what Shaen did for me. 1:7” factory Montucky contour dupe Rock, saami 223 at 21”. Massaged magbox and throated to kiss 75 eldm. I wanted the ability to shoot 88’s. Somebody once said something about reserve rpm, and it’s lack of downside. It’s too much fun and will be in-hand this weekend, looking to put the hurt on a doe.

okbow87

Jan 2, 2013
OKC, OK
I have one with the factory tube punched AI. Damn fun rifle and I've got two little boys soon to be 5 and 3 that are probably going to put the hurt on some shit with it in the coming years. Been shooting 50gr vmax's for brass forming and coyotes etc. Will probably switch to 75bthp when the real killing starts for the boys.

Brazo

Mar 29, 2013
The Keystone State

Couple questions..

Hello Sir,

Funny that you mention this as I have a Kimber Montana 223 arriving to Shaen for a rebarrel literally today according to the tracking #.
I spoke with Russell at Rock Creek and he said that I was the second person to use the file for the slightly heavier Kimber Montana 84m contour.
It took him a bit to find it but he has it and the barrel looks great.

5r rifling, 1-7" twist, cut rifled. I'm having it finished at 21". I'm having Shaen handle all the tricks to the magazine box and action for the longer rounds. I provided a 75 A-max with the rifle as a reference to throat to keeping in mind available mag room and proper feed/function.

From my research the slightly heavier contour is 3 ounces heavier than the factory dupe, maybe 4 ounces in 22 caliber. It is only heavier past the forearm or so I am told so that it works well in the existing barrel channel.

I have a second Montana in 223 I'll probably send to Shaen as well with a factory duped contour, but I'll take it one step at a time and see how this one feels.

Good luck, and I am sure Shaen can answer any of your other questions, we had a great conversation and I cannot wait to see the results!

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Shaen told me to talk to Russell, so I guess I need to get on the phone. I already confessed to him that I kind of fucked the rifle up the first time and he'd be on the hook to un-bubba my work. :)