data-csrf="1713974699,54f1e5aa8a691cecce8566cb3665d35c" Most rugged fixed lower power scope | As Real As It Gets

Most rugged fixed lower power scope

SnowshoeWalker

Oct 1, 2018
Alaska
I have a 458 Lott on the way soon and plan on having it setup with QD mounts and irons on it as well. What's the most bombproof, fixed power scope? Snooping around the web, it looks like the older Leupold M8 3 power and 2.5 were known for their heavy recoil handling abilities. Is the newer Leupold FX2 ultralight 2.5 power as durable? Is there a better option out there?

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
I'd personally want more eye relief on a kicker than the 6MQ has, and the 1-4x has some reports of failure. Spend larger on the 1-6x SWFA; it's listed with more relief and has a better reputation for durability.
Or sell the 458. I can't see needing anything that big unless you just like loud noises and bruises. Which is A-OK if you do!

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The Reupold 2.5x never showed me anything and if I can find one laying around,I'll give it to you.

The 1-6x HD is one that I REALLY like.

I'd be tempted to just use a Red Dot..............

SnowshoeWalker

Oct 1, 2018
Alaska
I'd like a 1x6, but typically the more complicated a thing gets, the more likely it will fail....hence the fixed power train of thought. If you find one Stick, holler, I'd buy the old tube off you and give it a Lott of thrashing to see if it holds.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Haven't seen this rifle in a while,but it was wearing one of 'em and must be here somewhere.

I'll throw a Romeo 5 aboard..............

Reactions: Al Nyhus

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
While it’s not a fixed, the Leupold 1-4 shotgun scope with the heavy duplex has served me very well on slug guns and on my 470 Capstick. I only run the Capstick at about 75% as it has a propensity to like to break the Encore butt stocks. Have run a lot of rounds thru the slug guns without any sort of scope failure. Only caveat I’d throw out there is my scopes are at least 20yrs old, can’t speak for the newer products.

Last edited:

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
A pard has slipped down for the last (2) R&R's and can't get rid of the Skunk. We're not lined up very well,but I reckon I can get him a Cast and a Shot,before he peels tomorrow.............(grin)