data-csrf="1711630460,1f39464b638eaef2f694e7f42560e46f" Musing boats again!?!? | As Real As It Gets

Musing boats again!?!?

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
I'm looking hard at boats again
Leaning toward a mid 20's doall
Fishing, cruising, overnight er
Not afraid of fiberglass either

Current leader is a Sea Sport 2400 explorer

What say ye?

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
The only thing I'd say is make sure it has 4 Stroke power on the back. Stay away from I/Os. Seasports are really nice, but most of them have either a gas or diesel inboard. If you can find one with outboards/whale tale, you'd be in good shape. Expensive to convert them/repower.

teal

Dec 16, 2007
Missing, presumed dead.....
I got nothing to add - all my boat time is in a 16.5 foot walleye rig but wanted to say - I love these types of threads.

As to the 4 stroke idea - I've been impressed with the ones I've been around. Was standing on the dock next to a loaded Lund sporting a 150 Merc 4 stroke and it was so quiet you didn't know it was running. Seriously - guy pulled away and it took a second to realize he was moving under power.

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
Looking at one that has a I/O but needs a repower
Was leaning toward a Yammi 300 on a swim step

Think I may try to talk wih the Shelter cove crew and see how they like their Sports after converting to OB's
One of theirs is the explorer model

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Dave would be good to talk too about that. Probably looking at 35k for that repower, and that might be on the low side. The electronic controls ain't cheap either.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
I was thinking by the time you did the conversion, engine, controls, etc. Fireweed and Silver Seas runs them... Chet services them so he'll be able to tell you about any issues. I'd almost want to go twin 150's. I think Shane Westfall has a 300 on a 24ft Seasport. Track him down and talk to him too.

Boats are expensive...(grin)

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
I thought about twins also as it would eliminate electronic controls
Talked with a guy here yesterday who has a 2400 coho that he converted to OB and is running a 250 verado
He said moving the weight back after conversion to OB caused his boat to run a little bow high which he corrected by adding a little weight to the bow
Got me to thinking that twin 150's may be a little heavy
Would be looking at 1000 pounds hanging out there vs 600 for a 300

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
I like those 24-26ft Hewescrafts. A guy could do a lot from them, they have an open bow for beaching/pulling an anchor, and they don't need a ton of power. V birth is where they'd be lacking in the models I like. There was one with twin F200's I liked a lot I saw for sale. Pulling the boat all over the island is big for me too, so weight is an issue.

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
I looked at a 24 Hewes this week that bas a bracket and twin 150's
looks to be a nice setup and is a deep boat for the size
Gotta have a v birth for the family though

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
The only way to get what I really want would be to have one built and set up how I want
I've looked over a good number of boats
Most all are geared toward a bigger back deck for fishing room and smaller cabins
The 2400 explorer comes closest in a factory boat

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
Pooderbuilt does/did brackets for SeaSport and Osprey. Phone him up and ask about the conversion. Might be worthwhile to have him manage the conversion down here in Bellingham then ship the bracketed boat up there. I think he works with a local glass guy to fill the I/O hole and put a giant fishbox where the engine was, and all for not too much dough.

Power: I ran Endsley's old 26' hewes short cabin for four years with a honda 225 and it worked fine, though it could have used a bit more juice. No complaints, though, and worked GREAT in protected water at 23+ knots.

You could probably run a 24 seasport on a 250 4-stroke and do pretty well. I don't know if you have Honda service up there - the 250 has lean burn and will use substantially less fuel at cruise than about anything out there. It is light on displacement compared to the Yamaha 250 and 300.

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
Guy I talked to with the 250 verado said he was happy with ibis choice
Going 250 yamaha would be cheaper as I think one can still get them with standard cable controls
Wouldn't have to buy new electronic controls
Kinda think I would regret not going 300 though
Did find a GREAT deal on a new 350 yamaha.......

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Curious how 2 of that Merc 115 Command Thrusts would do on the back of a 24 Coho.. I think they come in at 377 pounds each. They'd probably do a bit better than a single 250.. but then you have the weight issue.

Like you were saying, it's all going to electronic controls for the v6 engines now, which add big $.

If I recall, Rob pretty much fished in everything with that 26 Hewes. Fishy boat.

No love for the North River or Duckworth? Nice boats, and they have a following if you decide to sell.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
The wife keeps dropping hints about wanting a boat with a cabin, heater, table, etc... I know what you are talking about. Big $$ when you start looking for a family hauler that isn't going to drive you nuts.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Also what are some of the things you guys consider "must have" in a boat?
Preferred heat source? [color:#009900]If you're going to spring for cabin heat, do it right, Espar Airtronic. Accept no substitute.[/color]

Cook top? [color:#009900]None, they are an absolute waste of space. Get a camp stove and/or BBQ grill for the back deck. You can stash it somewhere when you're not using it, or better yet, you can leave it at home when you don't need it for that particular trip. BTW, that cook-top/heater combo unit is doubly useless - it sucks as a stove, and it sucks as a heater.[/color]

Etc???? [color:#009900]If you get a pot puller, plan to get the 200# Safe-T Puller (or Hauler model) as a minimum. The Electrodyne is better still, but more expensive and requires a more permanent install. Stay away from the Ace Line Hauler and the rest of the $500-600 disposable units.[/color]

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Dan, interesting perspective on the cook top/heater combo. We did the wallas cook top/heater combo on the Kimber Dawn and I think it was the best money spent on that boat. Heats the cabin just fine from early May through November and does bacon/hot cakes every morning with a pot of coffee!

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
John,
Something to think about now, as you dive into your next set up, is what you'll want in another 5-10 years with the family.

The Kimber Dawn does us just fine right now, but I know I'll be up towards a 35' in a few years. Two growing kids and a dog, and 28' gets pretty small after 3-4 days. The more time we spend on the water, the farther we like to explore. I think it fairly possible that you'll be outgrowing a 24' in no time at all if you really want to get out away from town much.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Brother Bill said:
Dan, interesting perspective on the cook top/heater combo. We did the wallas cook top/heater combo on the Kimber Dawn and I think it was the best money spent on that boat. Heats the cabin just fine from early May through November and does bacon/hot cakes every morning with a pot of coffee!
You are the first person I've heard that from. Hewes may be screwing everyone else, but their setup sucks. Buddy has that setup in his boat, and he can't keep it running at night for some reason. When he does run it, it fucks up the counter top in his brand new boat (formica next to the cook top). It is truly a lose/lose there. He brings a mr buddy propane heater as a rule.

I wonder if Hewes isn't just running the lowest end Wallas, and way underpowering the heater?

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
I hung a dickinson propane heater in the back corner of the hewes - it radiated like a woodstove when hot... It used no juice unless the fan was running, drew combustion air from outside, and exhausted outside. Win win win. That thing would have been a monster in an insulated cabin that was sealed off under the gunwales better than the Hewes. Worked fine while running too.

We cooked on the back deck with coleman propane stove. Lived out of totes - this was camping with two boys under the age of four.

Prop grip and single vs double: It's all about the prop. On the Yamaha 350 on my almar, the 4-blade Proptech cannot be made to ventilate when trimmed level or farther down, at any speed, with any load, in any turn, in any water. That sucker GRIPS. The Yamaha factory prop is better on fuel at cruise, but wants to start ventilating if I trim the motor to level or farther up. Don't sweat running a big single - you'll find a good prop for it.

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
cwh said:
Brother Bill said:
You are the first person I've heard that from. Hewes may be screwing everyone else, but their setup sucks. Buddy has that setup in his boat, and he can't keep it running at night for some reason. When he does run it, it fucks up the counter top in his brand new boat (formica next to the cook top). It is truly a lose/lose there. He brings a mr buddy propane heater as a rule.

I wonder if Hewes isn't just running the lowest end Wallas, and way underpowering the heater?
I really like the heater/stove setup in The Kimber Dawn as well

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
raghornjp said:
Agreed
I've almost come to the conclusion that a guy needs three boats
That about sums it up. I'd want a pretty good sized boat if I was going to do a camping trip with the family on it. 24ft will work, but I'd be wanting to toss kids overboard after a day of that unless there was a lot of beach time.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Lotsa ways to skin the cat and raghorn and I were musing this very subject the other day.

Packing that much gas,has always and would always aspook me. NOONE in the Commercial Fleet is gas powered. I'd look to simplify and bulletproof and that means single diesel and V-drive. A Cummins would be tough to whoop,for logistics. Also a back deck that is truly flush,do always appeal. I'd go hydraulic on my puller and cut to the chase.

The 28' TE connects alotta them dots by default,but they are typically located on the wrong coast. A trailer would be easy to score.

(Single V-Drive 28 TE RINK)

If SeaSport made their 27' Navigator so configured,it'd steal the show............

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
For just fishing I's think this boat would be hard to beat!
Add a true hard top and roll
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/photo_gallery.jsp?slim=broker&lang=en&ywo=blacksharkmaine&hosturl=blacksharkmaine&units=Feet&id=2870917&back=/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp&boat_id=2870917

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
It'd be nice to field a true flush deck,the 50gal fuel capacity would concern me and stowing corpses would steal even more room(unless there's under deck fish boxes that I'm not seeing). As a Meat & Taters Bloodbath Sonofoabitch,it would likely do alotta things easily and well.

Aluminum will always make me more nervous than 'glass..................

fogswamp

Nov 19, 2007
Just gotta plan around what its main use will be....sounds like a cruise camper that you could fish out of, I like fishing boat to be just that, a fishing boat, yep, you nailed it. Need three boats. Curious on what Calvin said at 24campfire about the 25-35k boat to cover the needs of area. Just talk the brothers into a new one and swoop up the Kimber Dawn........

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
We should narrow down the search..(grin)

Under 100k
Between 100-150k
Over 150

If I had deeper pockets, a coldwater 33 would be on order. (twin 250's)

b_johnson

Dec 8, 2007
Old Cape Fox
I'd go Canadian and save 30% off the top with current exchange rates.. You aren't using it commercially so Canuck made is no big deal. Eaglecraft, silver streak, broadwater...

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
If slips are easy to get down there, this is a lot of boat for the coin.

https://www.alaskaboatbrokers.com/listings_detail.php?id=234

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
You guys think big...(grin)

Nortic Tug towing a 24ft Seasport. Hotel + Fishability You just need lots of time.. (grin)

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
Way to big for me unless it lived in a slip, and I fish too many different spots for a boat that lives in a slip. I'd like a 28' aluminum boat with twin o/b's. Big enough for some comfort on over nights, small enough to trailer.

Sometimes you find a deal on a used six pack and if you're willing to put some time and money in slicking up the cabin you'll have a nice set up.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
cwh said:
Brother Bill said:

In addition to the Hewescraft owner Chris mentioned, I've got a buddy with a decked-out Glaciercraft. He has the heater/cook top, but he runs an Espar for cabin heat and rarely uses the cook top. For cooking, he either grills or uses his oven. Hell, they even bought a propane-powered coffee pot, so he wouldn't have to use the cook top to make coffee. If I'm correctly remembering what he told me, he said the thing would overheat and shut down before it would boil water. It's been a while since I've talked to him about it, though. I'll ask him, again.

I'm glad you guys like yours, Bill. I always thought they were a good idea, but you're the first person I've heard sing any sort of praise about them.

fogswamp

Nov 19, 2007
Anybody have any experience with a C-Dory or Arima......Also Raiders are on sale here in the northwest, they are a spin-off of Hewescraft..

mkoeh475

Dec 24, 2007
Wisconcsin
I'm with Teal, I will never own a boat like this but enjoy the discussion. Not that it helps you raghorn, but Mercury has a test shop up the river from where I work and I get to see them out testing their stuff quite a bit which is cool. I love looking out my office window and seeing a big center console with anywhere from 1 to 4 outboards tearing things up. Last time I shot the shit with one of their guys he had a 19' bass boat with a Confederate flag on it and he said his job for the day was to try and blow the gearcaase at 80mph. Due to our proximity to the merc plant it is what a majority of guys run here.

fogswamp

Nov 19, 2007
My fantasy would be a 22' Seahawk with a 200 yami....could get competitive....trailer and all.........

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
Sharkhide doesn't let aluminum do its thing. Google up a discussion of removal of mill scale for new boat fabrication on aluminumalloyboats.com - posts by kmorin. Go look at basically every aluminum boat that's been used for a few years and you will see little white dots of corrosion - these are little corrosion cells which result from manufacturers not removing the mill scale. Sharkhide is clearcoat for mill scale...

The big commercial builders (matsumoto, shore, etc.) acid wash the scale off their plates and their boats turn the color of Larry's webpage background here and stay that way until the end of time.

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
C dories are flat bottomed so unless you have dead flat waters they'll pound our you'll have to run very slow.

I pretty much copied the c-dory 22 layout when I built my tolman skiff. It's a good functional layout to fish four people on the deck and comfortably sleeps two in the cuddy and one on the bunk in the pilothouse. When the kids were little we'd put all three of them in the cuddy and momma and I would use the bunk and a fold out. It was cramped +p, but beats a wet tent.

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
Was thinking about brackets
Wonder how a flat bottomed bracket would do mounted as close as possible to flush with the boat bottom?
Thinking it would help planing and may decrease fuel burn on a hull with alot of V

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Have similar experience with Arima that Paul mentioned RE C-Dory. In moderate to heavy chop they will beat on ya. The Ol' Man & I beat pretty hard on a Sea Ranger for a couple decades until he passed and I sold it. We were going to sell it and upgrade to a 24' Grady White walk-around until he made his valiant race against cancer....

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
fogswamp said:
Anybody have any experience with a C-Dory or Arima......Also Raiders are on sale here in the northwest, they are a spin-off of Hewescraft..
Those Raiders look good. A 22' Raider would get it done up here in style, both the hunting and the fishing. (provided you don't want to use it as a hotel)

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
North River runs hull extension brackets on its boats, as does Hewes for the 22' boats. My 26' hewes didn't have one, and it worked fine. Such a bracket would be tougher to graft onto a glass boat - when I had a bracket put on the Almar, a couple of sturdy straightedges, some plate and a ground-flat weld made the bottom of the bracket a hull extension. The boat runs out flatter with the extension, and keeps the bow down in chop better at slogging speed. My net weight stayed about the same (1300# +/- diesel out, 820lb outboard and 55 gal fuel in).

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Just splashed the pacific with the new to me 200hp honda. 3800 gave me 29mph. Much better, expecially for a 23ft boat. It maxed out at 4500. It's got a 4 bladed stainless prop that I can't find a number on. It will probably work well for hauling big loads though. I have to haul 4 guys (including me), gear, and hopefully and elk on an etolin hunt here at the end of the month.

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
Have spent the better part of the day talking with folks about the convwrsion and brackets
Got some good info and some prices from local dealer
Talked both single 300 and dual 150's
Th 300 would require two sets of electronic controls if I want to keep the outsid steering station
The 150's would pretty much rule out the second station

Guess I could use the outside station for the kicker

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
It's propped too big. I need a 17 pitch 3 blade to hit that 6k rpms it looks like.

Good luck on your choice. Is the boat a local boat?

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
raghornjp said:
Have spent the better part of the day talking with folks about the convwrsion and brackets
Got some good info and some prices from local dealer
Talked both single 300 and dual 150's
Th 300 would require two sets of electronic controls if I want to keep the outsid steering station
The 150's would pretty much rule out the second station

Guess I could use the outside station for the kicker
If you're going to the expense and trouble of twins, size them large enough so that one of them will get you on step. Otherwise you'll have a very expensive kicker to bring you back in if one of them shits the bed. It's also worthwhile to make the fuel system as close to independent as possible.

Wonder how much kidneys go for?

https://www.alaskaboatbrokers.com/listings_detail.php?id=275

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Vek said:
The 26 hewes with 225 Honda used a 15p prop.
Ended up going with a 15dx15p 3 blade aluminum prop. I max out at 5800. 4000 gives me 26mph, with about 115 gallons of fuel in the tank. Taking off all the troll gear, cleaning the bottom, etc I'm sure helped. I'm a little stern heavy, so I think a beefy set of trim tabs are in my future.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
You know what you are doing for a bracket yet? I remember seeing an armstrong on Craigslist for not much $ a long time ago. Might want to throw up a WTB ad and see if you can steal something. It might come together much cheaper than you thought before..

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
I talked with Chet and am pretty sure I'm gonna have one built
I'm thinking a 48" bracket matching the hull contour with a 36" setback and a full width swim step is what I want/need ...........

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Nice. I see it up on a stand at the shop.

I'm changing my mind by the minute on what I want to stick on the back of my rig!

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Probably should have asked if anybody needed any non-skid. Ordered up a gallon from Farwest Paints for $45, and the shipping came to $70.. grin. I hear it's good stuff.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
I'm touching up my pacific. I got the exact stuff the factory uses, in the same color. If I have any left over, I'll let you know.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
No, from Farwest paints. They supply Pacific with what they use. Just call up and ask for the same non-skid Julie from Pacific orders. It's about $45 for the gallon, and $70ish on AML. But, you can get up to 250# of hazmat for that $70, so find a few guys to split it with.

http://www.farwestpaint.com/

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
He just dropped the price from 18k. I spoke to him. The engines are 2004. The first year the 150 Four Stroke came out. I'd probably value each engine at about 5k each. If they were 2010s, it might be worth it, IMO.

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
Well, a deal has been struck for the Seasport and the owner should be here in a couple weeks to close the sale
Talked with the local shop and they said they could pull the engine and drive in 4 to 6 hours
Then on to the welder for building and fitting the bracket
Then to the fiberglass man to close the transom
Then back to the shop to have my 350 installed
Gonna be a process ........

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
I just ordered my trailer today. From Ohio of all places. We've got 3 of them coming together to save shipping.

Be curious what you decide on the heating. That's been on my mind. Mine goes to the welder after Kirks stretch job gets done.. You bumping me? (grin)

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
raghornjp said:
Well, a deal has been struck for the Seasport and the owner should be here in a couple weeks to close the sale
Talked with the local shop and they said they could pull the engine and drive in 4 to 6 hours
Then on to the welder for building and fitting the bracket
Then to the fiberglass man to close the transom
Then back to the shop to have my 350 installed
Gonna be a process ........
You sure you don't want to pull the engine in my driveway? I'm sure we could figure it out in a few days...(grin)

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
My boat has dash vents for the windows already so I'm hoping it will be pretty easy to just plumb in a heater to the existing system ??
We shall see
I'll probably talk with the guys at shelter cove to see how they went with theirs too.
The welder says he hopes to have yours and mine in the shop at the same time .....grin
He was hoping for maybe 2 1/2 weeks from now depending on how long the stretch takes

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Roger.

I jumped into the wiring of mine this last weekend. Not too bad. 95% of it will be gone, but the main stuff is lined out nicely and is in great shape. It'll be easy to get it wired up once I decide on electronics. (Been antagonizing over that one) I am going to have Rocky build me a new dash. I want to flush mount a chart plotter, sounder, and radio, so I need lots of room. Going to try to make everything as simple as possible. I just might have mine going by this summer. Not like I'll have time to use it though.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
22' is a pretty small boat. They put a nice cabin on it though. Zero interest in an IO though.

Where are you sourcing a D4?

fogswamp

Nov 19, 2007
Ya was thinking might be a good repower project but length and side height are a concern.......

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Nothing wrong with a 22. That boat would be ideal for a 250/300. To have the bracket done right, you are looking at around 3-4k unless you have a buddy you'd trust to do it. Grab a good 30" off The Hull Truth and you could have a killer little fishing boat for not too much. Almars are bullet proof.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
You'll want a hull extension type bracket for a boat like that. Nice thing about those older vintage almars is they are built like a tank. You can blast or sand it down, buff it, and have basically a new looking boat. Get it built for a 30" shaft for offshore use. I'm starting with a bare boat, so my costs will be much higher. Although I get a new trailer, kicker, fuel tank/system and electronics.

There is 3 of us going with coho designs to wrap our boats now too. http://www.cohodesign.net/boat-graphics/

I'd go with camo if I didn't think it'd hurt the resale value.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Now that I think about it, somebody did a convert on a similar sized almar over on aluminum alloy boat forum. Posted pics of the process. Put a 300 Yami on it.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
It'll be a great king year, no doubt. Troll will be shut down in a week or two. Good numbers will build locally. Not sure how many they'll let up catch though come July 1st. The guys who are doing well, as usual, are earning them.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Nothing ever comes easy,especially in the Winter...but prolly because I don't pay a whole 'lotta attention to it,the numbers really susprised me. I know guys in Summer,who don't deliver as many,as they are in the Winter.(grin)

Price just might be a touch better too,as I'd heard $9.75 or thereabouts if I recall correctly. No Pickles,but if you've lotsa Peanuts,the money is there.

Good to see 'em grind and make it pay.

I'm just hoping creeks swelled,but it's been way more wind volume than rain volume,in my AO.............

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Might have a deal going on twin 200s. Going to go with the camo wrap too. Now I need to see how big of a fuel tank rocky will put in it.

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
Haven't talked with him since just before he finished the other almar like yours he was working on
I'll probably touch base with him Monday or so to see how it's looking

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
With how things are shaping up, it's going to be an epic year for fish. Hope you have a good smoker, a pressure canner, and a big freezer. You'll be looking for ways to store fish.

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
No
It's hooked up to the main
He used it to pick up pots mostly
The kicker is on a hydraulic lift that is sweet
I'm gonna leave it mounted as is and continue using the tiller

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
I enjoyed talking with the guy I bought it from.
He's good people and has killed alot of fish on that boat including some big fish
Was interesting on how he targeted big fish
His largest is 70 pounds
That him inside the front of the most recent visitors guide
Kool dude to talk with .
I plan on keeping the mojo going!......

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
The funny thing is that it'll "kick off" here in about a month. No time at all. There can be some nicer sized kings around in April/May. I'm getting stoked. This summer is going to be amazing. We'll have to talk gear here soon. I've got some herring heads that are working really well.

You gonna keep it wet, or keep it on the trailer?

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
raghornjp said:
The poles I'm talking about are for tuna etc I think
I'm having the Almar put together with long range in mind. Art is getting ready to sign the papers on the Glory though, so I might shelve putting engines on till next year. I'll have zero time to fish this summer/fall, so no use eating a year of warranty for 5 hours of use.

Actually, I'm still trying to figure out when I'm going to have time to ever use the thing...(grin)

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
Plans are to keep it in the water during the summer so I don't have to launch every time
Probably pull it once a month or so and clean the hull and stuff off
Then keep it in the yard the rest of the year

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
raghornjp said:
The poles I'm talking about are for tuna etc I think
Good call to hang on to those...I've got bigger plans for this year after talking with some of the NOAA/F&G bios. Its going to be an interesting fall on that front.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
I don't think that's a possibility, with how it is laid out. One big tank is how they roll in those boats. When waterfall converted they only put in 100 gallon tanks, but wished they'd gone a bit bigger. If I had more room, two tanks would be nice. (and I'm sure a lot more money)

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
That's a pretty decent deal for somebody if it's legit. All one has to do though is change the gauge on those older hondas to manipulate hours though.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Supposed to be a blizzard here,for the next few days.

Warm & windy has been a trend this Winter..............

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Be interesting to see what happens with bears and bucks. Was really hoping for a big snow pack to keep things greenish through Sept up top.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
They best stay green till late August. I have a date with some alpine up there. Not that I care if the deer are up top. I'll go anyway just to do it.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I heard a purty good low water Chromer Report yesterday too.

Trying to be a straight up Blizzard here...gonna be a fun day............(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I expect to see a few on the next pass...especially if I can set the feesh rod down long enough to look.............

Uncle Dave

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
I'm stuck here at work for a bit still. Have to catch you on the next one. It will be time for bears!

Uncle Dave

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Nice

Let's get all the boats together and camp out at least once, a'la Spring Fling.

Probably come home with a few skins.

Uncle Dave

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Great! Did you get any pics? It seems things are coming along nicely. Hope the kid is hanging in there.

Uncle Dave

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
No prob, he keeps me pretty well updated.

I really don't like the new hayrack design but I was overruled by the designer.

I think it will fish though.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
She's a doll and easily one of my favorite people.

You've enough connections,to make something happen.

It's better than ever...............

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Yes, a camo stripe. Need to polish it, but it's looking less waterfallish. Heading to the welder soon, engines will be on order next week. Twin 150s and a 9.9 High Thrust. Trailer is on it's way from Ohio of all places. Putting in a decent electronics package too. Garmin 740xs with the good charts, Furuno 1870 for sounder, and a few radios. Not sure I'll rig it for trolling. Probably look to rent/lease it out for the summer.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
The guys from cohodesign are awesome. Sending me samples..

Not sure I'm digging this color combo, but it's growing on me the more I look at it..

Uncle Dave

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Looking good. The clock is really running now...hope we can all get our projects finished.

My head is spinning over electronics.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Uncle Dave said:
Looking good. The clock is really running now...hope we can all get our projects finished.

My head is spinning over electronics.
Yeah, it'd be nice to do the electronics right the first time. Next weather window I am running up and grabbing the Glory and bringing it down. Arts got all his stuff off of it. I need to grab a pile of hooks, line and a few dozen more flashers and then i should be GTG on that deal. I've got a few hooches they are liking, so probably 10 or so packs of each and then keep it simple from there.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
A guy just popped in my office,with a bunch of 35mm prints from '94 in Juneau. He was working the fuel dock then and it was interesting to see alotta familiar boats,in their Glory Days.

I just want it to RAIN................(grin)

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Boss hit it out of the park for a 6 man charter boat. 33' and will be the standard. Went through it yesterday, and it is one thought out boat for a work boat. He narrowed the cabin a bit, and made it longer. A 300lb guy can fish all the way around it. It's got room.. The ones we run now are 31'. I love the wrap that coho designs did. When it gets lighter outside, I'll snap a pic of what he did to my almar. I like it!

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Twin 250 Verados, same as the other boats. We have a pile of spares should something go haywire. We are pushing 2500hrs with several of them now, and don't expect to swap short of 4k hours. We are learning that the the break-in is crucial to getting high hours.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
That's a fair amount of ass. How much fuel will the new boat burn,when running in the sweet spot? 20gals an hour?...............

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Thats is what we burn with the 31's, so yeah that'll be close. That's about 4150 rpms and going 27kts. The new one as more deadrise, and that might slow it down a little, but will give it a much better ride in the chop.

Only thing I'd add to the boat that isn't going to be on it would be an auto pilot for downrigger fishing.

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
I'm hoping mine is ready here in the next couple weeks
Looking forward to see how she does
Still got to get a raft and maybe some new electronics
And maybe a nucanoe.......or two

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Absolutely no reason for more than 10hrs of running time for a charter boat, unless you want to be lugging around a lot more weight than necessary.

16Bore

Feb 11, 2010
Virgina
That's what Gilligan said.

Disclaimer:

The only thing I know about boats is that most of them float.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Calvin said:
Absolutely no reason for more than 10hrs of running time for a charter boat, unless you want to be lugging around a lot more weight than necessary.
On a boat of that size,I'd always want the extry capacity and would simply load fuel as per whim. Packing gas cans and all that bullshit,sucks heavy ass.

Added capacity would simply add options,less concession..............

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Been turning and burning on the Glory the last few weeks. Not many spare minutes with everything else going on, but it'll be ready on May 1st to do what it needs to do.

Put a dark blue stripe that fades on the Almar. Had the guy put on a few kings too, just because he could. Makes the boat look different, no doubt. In to the welder next week, but I'm out of time, so will wait till the fall or spring to hang twins on it. No point in burning warrantee time. I still need to rewire it and do a bunch of stuff. It'll be "right" when I'm done. Still wrestling with the electronics package. I have the new trailer too. Very nice, and way overkill, but it'll make towing it around the island for various hunts a breeze.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Judd, they've been getting the kings good over here. Splashing the Pacific here in a few minutes. If you've got a day and the weather cooperates, we should go load up on fresh fish.

Oatmealsavage82

Nov 15, 2011
Alberta Canada
That Almar is one kick ass looking boat I've got a buddy that does vinyl that is working on something for my boat at the moment should be a good laugh if he gets it figured. What do you think the Almar would weigh kitted right out?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
GOOD day,to not be out in a boat.(grin)

Have yet to hear a Beaver,but just heard wheels sail over.................

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Was planning on looking things over out there today, but bumped it back to tomorrow. Probably take a look at 20+ spots, to see what's where. It's almost time to fill the bank account back up.

BrianW

Nov 18, 2007
Alaska
www.geocities.com
Calvin said:
Been turning and burning on the Glory the last few weeks. Not many spare minutes with everything else going on, but it'll be ready on May 1st to do what it needs to do.

Congrats Joel! What a summer for you! Best wishes for a fantastic season.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks BW. Busy times, no doubt. I'll fish the boat a whole lot more in 2017. Hope to have my own charter outfit going by then and run 8 groups from July 10th-Aug 10th. I just have May, July Kings, and Sept Cohos to fish the Glory this year.

trapperJ

Apr 13, 2009
The east side of Paradise AK
Calvin said:
Judd, they've been getting the kings good over here. Splashing the Pacific here in a few minutes. If you've got a day and the weather cooperates, we should go load up on fresh fish.
That would be great. Work has had me pretty tied up for awhile now but after this coming week I'll be more flexible. Weekends are good for me though if you go out.....

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I gotta catch you some time and fuck you outta a scope. Roundeye and I have a swapaloo going and I thought I had more glass than I do. Might still could,but cain't know where I stashed it.

No hurry and should you need,I've lotsa other glass to get you through..................

trapperJ

Apr 13, 2009
The east side of Paradise AK
I yanked it off the rifle a while back to do a hand off. Got stuffed in a box when I moved in to the new place last month but found it just the other day.

If you're over my way chasing fish stop by. I'm on the corner across from the ball field/ basketball court. You'll see my truck and the Kelper(Joel's old pacific). If not I'll be in Craig Monday morning and can swing it by.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Feeshed this AM,and will wait on rain.

Mom gets back from America tomorrow and will be at work Monday,so if you are passing through,kick it loose there. If you need/want glass,I've got piles of it and you are more than welcome to pick and choose.

We need to go Bear Gawkin' some evening....................

Uncle Dave

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Dude, does your cell still work? You must be out having fun. Not sure if you were one of the last 3 blue Tacomas I waved at on the road...

Hit me up when you get time...

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Seeing some light at the end of the tunnel with boat projects. Did all my prep yesterday, and will be laying new non-skid on the pacific this morning. Need to finish painting the Glory too today, and will be hauling out for the night on Friday to zinc and bottom paint. Momma and the girls really want to catch some fish! They come down and keep me company while I grind away.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
July 1st will be a wild ride out front if what's going on is any indication. I'm going to go into freezer/canning mode here soon. More interested at the moment in finding some fish within the boundaries I'll be able to sell during the hatchery openings in a few weeks.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Non-skid! About a 4 hour job, to do the whole boat. About 50% I had on the boat was compromised with water intrusion. Scrape, sand, acetone, tape, and prime and it looks new again. it rolls right on. Judd, I'm going to order more if you want a gallon. Hopefully it sticks.... I hit it hard with the 80 grit to rough it up.

Finished product. Did it in the slip.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
You can still fit king in your freezer? (grin)

Hope they get it done. I'm about all fished out for personal needs, and I start tuesday on the guiding gig.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
That reminds me, Gary did a heck of a job on the Almar. He still has it, doing some work on the dash and waiting for aluminum to cover the back deck. 130 gallon tank filled in the hole rather nice. I think I'll have enough fuel to go moose hunting.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Now it's the dreaded electronics to order..(grin) With the rate I'm burning through cash it's going to end up being a garmin 44dv. haha

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Steve did the same thing with the same boat, and put on twin 175 verados. He's reporting 10gph at 24kts with 4 guys plus himself. 4k rpm per engine. Looks like I'm going iwth verados. Can't beat that economy in a 25ft boat and outboards. Running them easy like that will get you into the mega high hours.

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
If those numbers are accurate that's GREAT economy
Can't wait to get my ride in the water and see how it acts and fuel burn
I'll be burning more than that I'm sure.........

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
That would be a nice place to be burn wise
Looking forward to all of us being on the water and fishing
Should be able to cover some ground and have a better than good chance to always be on some fish
We gotta talk tuna sometime?............

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
I guessed at what pitch I need and ordered a prop last week to help speed up launch
Hoping all goes well and maybe get to put some electronics in soon too
I'm ready to fish!.........

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Be interesting to see how things shake out this season. Things don't feel very fishy to me, despite lots of fish having been around.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
There's undoubtedly been ALOTTA early Fish and Bait,for whatever reason(s)...all of which are indicators,but not actual delivery offload factors.

I reckon the Grinders will be fine,just as per always and them that ain't,will have plenty of fuel for their excuses.................(grin)

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Blew a power steering line in a blowhole today. Gaffed a king and looked down in the water and said "oh shit, where is all this oil coming from?!" Found the hole, got out of the wind, and patched it with duct tape and a hose clamp to finish out the day. Slayed the kings...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
It was purty sporty this morning,at the house. I know some of The Gang threw in together and hit the Outside and caught fish.

Figured to see your old boat in my driveway,but Trapper musta changed his mind with the weather.................

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
There's a lot to like on that boat. Not sure I could stand all the wood, but I'm sure a couple good coats of rustoleum would take care of that. I think 3 helms is probably enough, but I'm not sure there are sufficient battery switches.

Its even got a stripper pole!

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
Never had the chance to see a Norvelle up close, but that configuration could a lot of things very nicely. Wouldn't mind a slightly bigger cuddy, but all in all it's pretty close to what I'd want in a 28' aluminum boat.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
With a car like that,no matter where you was...you'd already BE there.

Wouldn't be tough to burn R&R's,just kickin' it and let everyone else run around like chickens with their heads cut off. Would be easy to nurse out of,with a little Whaler or similar.

I think a guy could probably fuck up and have fun,without even trying...assumin' he had Reloading Equipment aboard...............(grin)

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Spoke with Mr. Norvelle a couple months back for an hour or so about a 3210 Flybridge with twin yamaha 300 or 350. Were I to cast a vote for an upgrade, that'd be it....

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
It's crazy what new boats go for these days.

Around here a 7kt boat won't hold you back one bit. 3-4 hours will put you square in the middle of things and you certainly don't need to fish the open water to catch fish. A nordic tug or something similar with a efficient diesel, auto pilot, and all the amenities of home would be heaven with all the great places we have to fish around here.

Tow a 20-23ft beach combing/fishing boat behind it that is offshore capable and you'll have a ton of fun and have to buy a walk in freezer.

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
Up North I need something I can trailer and mid 20 knot cruise. If I didn't have a 2+ hr drive to splash and 30-50 miles to get fish I'd consider other options.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Electrolysis cain't be seen,where it matters most. To score a used boat that wasn't an electrical fucking wreck,would be inordinate...at best.(grin) Conjoin that with where/how it sat and one should prolly be nervous,as a fucking MINIMUM. A modest soak in a HOT Harbor,does no favors. One of many reasons,I've long been a fan of trailers and keeping my shit in my hip pocket.

Joel mentioned "Nordic" and there was a fair looking one on the Site which Paul linked to. Not much to fret there,from a structural standpoint,no matter where it was moored/stored. They are a heralded design,for good reason and not dying,is never a bad start to a day.(grin)

I get it,that wind in the face and blasting all over the place,is a nice option to have...but when talking the boats sized thus far,what one typically has to give in order to get that,is a rather steep curve in all things(initial expense,upkeep,fuel consumption,yada,yada).

REALITY is,HOW in the fuck would one keep from catching fish and having a GREAT time...no matter what the GPS groundspeed indicated? A sound hull,with reliable power,that rides nice and holds enough water/fuel to bear the brunt,is all anyone could ask for/need.

Going 80MPH,ain't gonna put a guy on more Bucks either.(grin) There is a lot to be said,for being thorough and if one is Radio Fishing,he's done before he even starts................

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
One thing I didn't realize how much I'd like is the Dickenson stove in the Glory. Hot food, fresh coffee, and heat makes all the difference..(grin)

I was leaving the dock, running 50 min to Caldera, trolling for 12 hours, and running back to the dock burning $25 a day in fuel with the 4-71. Not bad!

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
The Dickenson's are sweet. I wouldn't want one on our boat, but any bigger, and its almost required.

I could see owning a Nordic Tug here, if I kept it moored at my destination and flew a float plane to it. They are neat boats, but not for southcentral. In Paradise... much different story.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Understood on the difference. It's a lot different being a 5 minute walk to the harbor and a 1-4 hour cruise at 7kts to great fishing compared to what you guys have to do to get on the water.

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
I've looked at alot of boats with different setups.
and have decided that to get much more usable cabin space you've got to go big
And big don't go fast cheap!
I like the idea of a trawler
And a mid sized
And a skiff
GRIN

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
raghornjp said:
I've looked at alot of boats with different setups.
and have decided that to get much more usable cabin space you've got to go big
And big don't go fast cheap!
I like the idea of a trawler
And a mid sized
And a skiff
GRIN
Looks like your boat is done?

Boats get expensive in a hurry, and it'd be nice to have one that did it all, not to mention the costs of ownership. I think the Glory pulling my Pacific would be an ideal set up for most of my boating needs, including commercial and sport fishing. Not sure why I have the almar if I don't start chartering out of it.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
You are backed back in, so there is hope.

Easy limit of 12 kings today. Think I was done by 8. Fleet is out in FORCE. Pretty amazing what passes for a "guide" these days, given the chatter on the radio from some of bigger lodges.

Halibut showed up overnight in a big way.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
7ft maybe? I was swaying pretty good in the shower when I got home. Ran offshore pretty far. One guy puked. I don't even notice anymore unless it's really big.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Awesome. I'll be out there every day for awhile now. Kings showed up again off the beach. We'll see if they stick around.

If a guy wants trophy halibut, NOW is the time. Littles ones are moving in quickly though which makes targeting them a bit more difficult.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
It's small. It'd be a great little put put boat for just working kelp lines. I bet you could get a lot of hours on that engine. I have no experience either and they might suck. (grin)

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Had a GAF halibut today to get today. This one about hit some king guts and a bunch of squid that came out of the guts. About 215. Picture doesn't do the lump we were out in justice. We were thrashed and my dude got it up in 10 minutes on the front of the boat by using the swells to lift the 'but and reeling like hell on the backside of the wave. Felt good to stick a harpoon in a big one again. It's been awhile. Hope it calms down, have another one to get tomorrow. Kings took longer, but we got the 10 we needed.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
BTW, those $30 impertec suck. I have about 5 holes in them already, but keep wearing them to get my $30 worth. The film is already rubbed off on much of it, and I'm only on day 17 of the season.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Was out shooting today and my Wingman mentioned guys hoping to venture a goodly ways offshore today for R&D and I said..."I bet they didn't have any fun,if they even went".

I bet they turned tail................

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
Finally got it in the water
Always fun when the trim buttons are reversed and crossed from what I'm use to running ......... Grin
The prop is close but not quite what I think I need
Was only able to spin it 5300 but fuel burn at cruise wasn't to bad
Gauge said 13 gal hr at 3900 with a 26 kt cruise speed

BrianW

Nov 18, 2007
Alaska
www.geocities.com
raghornjp said:
Was only able to spin it 5300 but fuel burn at cruise wasn't to bad
Gauge said 13 gal hr at 3900 with a 26 kt cruise speed
That's a lot of fuel. What size engine again?

My Suzuki fuel burn gauge hasn't seemed reliable in years, but haven't maintained it either.

MallardAddict

Jun 4, 2008
Washington State
Saw a guy in the Straits here in WA. a few weeks ago running a trio of the 7 marine 627hp outboards on about a 30' custom aluminum job. Fucker was wicked fast but I would hate to see his fuel bill.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Gaf Halibut today. Did I mention we have a lot of big halibut around? Chuck and I only had 4 gaf fish to get, and if we could keep all the ones we released to get our unders, we could have sank the dock.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
It was chaos for awhile. Big halibut after big halibut jumping on. Had one break a Trevala rod. I fish that spot about once a year, and swear never again..(grin)

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
One of those GAF halibut costs about $380. Guys are going to be buying them like crazy next year I have the feeling. I'm having trouble finding a spot where I don't catch 2-4 big halibut a day.

New kings showed up. Getting bigger.

Ramhunter

Dec 10, 2007
Uncle Dave and I have been talking about what, lots of smaller Kings this year than normally, both down where your fishing and out of Seward where we are fishing! Buddies of mine been fishing kings off Montague Island are staying the same thing!

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The Big Boys are chasing water temps...to get away from the warm stuff and outta the Cookie Cutters...............

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Those 25lb+ kings aren't here.... yet. They didn't hit the beach last year until late too. I remember the day they arrived, small tides, and a bunch of wood showed up from offshore all covered in barnacles. The kings came with that current change and we slammed them until we finished at the end of Aug.

There is an obscene amount of cohos and pinks in the ocean this year, spread evenly out pretty much everywhere I've gone offshore as of late. Seiners got 24k cohos in 1 day off noyes last sunday if that's any indication.

Uncle Dave

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
I'm just curious why so many undersized this year. I get that the big ones will show when it's time but I would guess something like 30-40% of the fish I've caught have been at or under 28inches. Way more of them than normal, seems to me...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Same old shit...Bucks are still 6 weeks away from being done growing and there are them that "fret" this year's Rut.

The Fish will show and the Bucks will mow...................

Uncle Dave

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
I'm not getting the undersized ones instead of the normal ones, I'm getting them in addition to the usual.

Double the fish number but half are shorties...

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Lots of undersized and small kings are usually an indication of a lot of kings in the ocean. They dilute the kings out there, and you catch a lot of them. My guess is that most of them are Columbia river fish. Usually mid-july is a lull in the king action as we wait for the bigger BC Skeena fish to show up. Some years king fishing is all but over by now if those BC fish skip us and move by offshore not to mention those kings take a beating from the seine fleet. I'm still getting easy limits on kings daily, without it slowing down much. We'll see how it shakes out. Sometimes they like the southern end in Aug, sometimes they don't. We won't have a 2nd king opening, so we'll never know what is really out there.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Fleet went way over the 120k they had for the 1st opening. Fairweathers and Icy kicked out a lot of kings is the word.

Uncle Dave

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
The girl at the plant told me the idea was shut down the first opening a touch early, to better support a possible second run.

We shall see, I suppose...

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
That'd be cool. I might get a day in. Most of the time they are offshorefor the second opener. What's the status on your rig? I'm digging the Glory. Wish it was glass and I had slush tanks, but it is what it is. I'll stay in pretty good shape jumping in and out of that hold.

Uncle Dave

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
My project seems to be going nowhere again. Not impressed with the local 'experts'...

Might be fishing it by mid-Aug but it'll be close...

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Looking forward to the day when I can do everything myself, and not have to pay anybody for anything except major woodwork and engine overhauls.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Well, our GAF day went about as expected. Left 3 on the table for tomorrow, but we did bring in 9 between 70 and 255lbs for our GAF fish, and also a handful of 20-35lb fish for our normal limits. Not bad for 3 hours of fishing for 2 boats. Cut a 90, 120, and 200lb fish loose too. And yes, Chuck and I lifted those suckers on those hooks. My back is going to feel it!

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Both Chuck and I fished within sight of a lot of other boats too. Amazing what a fishery we have here. I had a mom and dad, and 4 kids aged 10-15 on the boat with me. Those kids cranked up some big halibut today.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Kings-ok. Several 65lb+ have been caught not by me, but not many big ones. You can get limits though.

Cohos-good

Halibut-world class

Weather sucked today, but we needed a day like to today to remind us what it's normally like. (grin)

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Shelter Cove is selling (5) seasports this year. 4 with Diesels. Price seems OK. Never heard of them having mechanical issues on the water...

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
You couldn't pay me to take a Waterfall with a diesel, considering how hard those guys ran those boats.

Dave at Shelter Cove took good care of his boats.