data-csrf="1711664177,76aaf48dfb8d28f73129e4e498403c97" Musing boats again!?!? | As Real As It Gets

Musing boats again!?!?

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
They are good, solid boats. That looks like a different hull design than mine. Use and balance is a big consideration when deciding between twins and a single. I am not sure I would want a single on mine with 5 dudes in the cab in a following sea but one guy put a single v8 merc 300 on his and is happy. But, that hull/cabin is different than what I got so it’s hard to say. Looks like more of a shallower boat style or is the pic screwing with me? Might get away with twin 115 merc command thrust engines. Mine is the sounder and does great with twin 150 mercs. 30mph at around 2.5 mpg.

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
That's a riverboat hull...jetline or whatever. Some of them are self bailing, and they're all pretty rugged. Pretty flat, but enough V to work fine in protected water. If it gets sloppy you'll be slogging, but you'll make it.

I spent enough time on piss flat water in PWS to know that that hull will get you out to Montague, and burn less fuel than a sounder in the process, while getting you there quicker. Single 300 would be a rocket.

I talked to one guy at the Whittier ramp who had a 22-ish wooldridge with a 250 optimax. He picked his days and if the water allowed, cruised at 35 knots.

ptarmigan

Apr 13, 2008
Anchortown
That's a riverboat hull...jetline or whatever. Some of them are self bailing, and they're all pretty rugged. Pretty flat, but enough V to work fine in protected water. If it gets sloppy you'll be slogging, but you'll make it.

I spent enough time on piss flat water in PWS to know that that hull will get you out to Montague, and burn less fuel than a sounder in the process, while getting you there quicker. Single 300 would be a rocket.

I talked to one guy at the Whittier ramp who had a 22-ish wooldridge with a 250 optimax. He picked his days and if the water allowed, cruised at 35 knots.

Yup, it's an Almar jetline hull. It was some kind of survey boat prior to getting the overhaul. My buddy will just be using it in the sound, so I think it should do fine. Can't be any worse than some of those 20'-22' Hewescrafts running all over out there. This is a pic of it prior to getting torn down.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Yup, it's an Almar jetline hull. It was some kind of survey boat prior to getting the overhaul. My buddy will just be using it in the sound, so I think it should do fine. Can't be any worse than some of those 20'-22' Hewescrafts running all over out there. This is a pic of it prior to getting torn down.

Is he locked into a single with the bracket he has? Single 300s ain’t cheap unless he has a line on a good used one. Twin 115s or 150 mechanicals will be in the same price range.

Last edited:

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
I will say that my contract boat was almost an identical hull as mine. He has a single 300 verado. I run twin 150 mercs. He follows me, same spots, same speed etc. the fuel burn isn’t even close. He burned significantly more than me in a day. If I burn 40, he burns 60+ gallons. Another operator told me the same thing. Same hulls, a single 300 versus twin 150s. Not even close in burn and longevity. You can expect 1500 hours out of a single and oil burn starts early on. 3-4K with twins.

just something to think about.

ptarmigan

Apr 13, 2008
Anchortown
I will say that my contract boat was almost an identical hull as mine. He has a single 300 verado. I run twin 150 mercs. He follows me, same spots, same speed etc. the fuel burn isn’t even close. He burned significantly more than me in a day. If I burn 40, he burns 60+ gallons. Another operator told me the same thing. Same hulls, a single 300 versus twin 150s. Not even close in burn and longevity. You can expect 1500 hours out of a single and oil burn starts early on. 3-4K with twins.

just something to think about.

Quick update on his boat. We took it out on the sound last week. He settled on a 250hp Merc. It was flat calm, so no heavy weather testing. We got 9gph @ 28mph/3500rpm cruising. Top speed was 43.5mph with 22gph @ 5000rpm. I think it will make him a great sound boat!

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Well, after 3.5 season, the Almar is officially sold. ‘Twas a good boat, and it killed mountains of fish. Will be missed. Upgrading to a 28’ NR

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
John,
Something to think about now, as you dive into your next set up, is what you'll want in another 5-10 years with the family.

The Kimber Dawn does us just fine right now, but I know I'll be up towards a 35' in a few years. Two growing kids and a dog, and 28' gets pretty small after 3-4 days. The more time we spend on the water, the farther we like to explore. I think it fairly possible that you'll be outgrowing a 24' in no time at all if you really want to get out away from town much.
Truer words have never been said .......

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site

Got the yamihammer sold. Will get the bracket treatment and twins. Have a lot of days this summer to decide if I like Lowrance or not. And the Seahawks decals are coming off ASAP. Grin.

Reactions: 406 SBC

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
28'? Whatcha got in mind for power?
yep, 28. Pretty killer design as they shortened the transom width to give it about 11’ of deck space.

it will be 3.0 Merc 150s. Mainly because that what’s i have and could get. Going to put the kicker in line with the mains for future tie bar use. Probably add a steering station outside and go with a 25 and auto pilot. In a few years will switch the hewes and this boat over to the 200 v6 mercs unless something better comes out.

Last edited:

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
Joel, what's your impression of the 150s on that 28'? Also how would you compare the ride between the old 26 and the 28?

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Joel, what's your impression of the 150s on that 28'? Also how would you compare the ride between the old 26 and the 28?
150s are fine. With a charter load I am 28mph for 13gph. So 2.15 mpg. Like all boats the more you fish it the more crap you get in it and weigh it down. I started the season at 2.3 mpg. If I would empty it out I would probably get the 2.3 back.

Ride is fine and much better than the Almar. The Almar was a pounding boat. North rivers are broaching boats though. Once you learn to balance the load it’s not that bad.
My favorite boat is the Hewes 250 by a mile. That thing is a beast and we have proven that boat many times over.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site

I don’t even know how many days I have fished now. Started May 24 and end Sept 4. Be nice to do something else here in 11 days.

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
My 28 walkaround hull's about the same as that but the walkaround has my weight farther back. I don't broach running downhill unless tabs are in the water more than just for leveling. If it's big and steep and tidally influenced then I have to watch that I don't stuff the bow...have to run up the face of the next wave and stay there rather than going over. Ran into that little dilemma on a hard ebb and 25kt NW winds off of Sooke and Victoria last summer, running home from Sekiu. You can shed green water a lot better than mine! That run had me thinking about a different (enormous) scupper arrangement retrofit. It also had my mouth dry and my 12yo in tears.

If you're measuring in statute mph it sounds like your mercs are over 15% more efficient than my single V8 yamaha (with full fuel 200G, shrimp pots and 9 licenseholders of varying age). If knots, then holy moly, way better.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
It didn’t help I stuck that anchor winch right on the bow. It’s heavy and heavier with the chain and anchor. My buddy has the sister ship and he said the ride in a following changed with the addition of his drum.