data-csrf="1714079520,8452e8fa469c2c1edbb55bd7ea99fe4b" My 'Lazy Leopard' project | As Real As It Gets

My 'Lazy Leopard' project

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
I know this is primarily a hunting board but hopefully you'll bear with this post.

This is a recoil-lugged Panda 30BR project I've been working on. Designed as a 'glue in', I machined the action and made a recoil lug for it so I could do it as a pillar bed. It's finally done and yesterday was a good day to test with N winds under 12-13 mph, although they were from 5-7 o'clock. Our range faces S-SE and this wind angle can catch you when the mirage shifts.

Barrel break in was a bit different than I usually do, mainly because I had some questions that had been nagging at me. That done, and my questions answered...at least to my satisfaction, it was time to do like John Wayne: "Let's get to the rat killin!"

Components were standard plain vanilla 30BR stuff. H4198, Fed 205M, neck clearance was .003, shoulders bumped .0025, bushing was .004 smaller than the measurement across the neck at the pressure ring. Seating stem was .015 shorter than when the marks just quit on the bullets. Cases are Lapua 6BR, the inside necks cut before neck turning, then annealed and full length sized again. No primer pocket uniforming but the flash holes are deburred with an aggressive internal chamfer. Bullets used were my Dakota B1, 1.00" jacket 8 ogive .3084/.3086 left over from my bullet making days....marinating since 2012.

It tuned up per the norm for a good 30BR set up this way. Staring from the lower rt. you can see the vertical tune out as the powder charge went up. Groups were three shots. The 33.5 was shot twice to verify. The final group on the left was the same 33.5 load but it's 7 shots which was shot purposely ignoring the wind speed changes and flag angle. You can see the 'poppers' as the wind picked up and mirage was flipping.

Thank you Kreiger for another great barrel, 'Humble' Henry Rivers for awesome barrel work and Sightron for a rock solid scope. The action and stock were purchased used for this project...a Kelbly's Panda RB/LP/LE and a Bruno/McMillan pattern stock (my favorite of all time).

Good shootin'. -Al

Last edited:
Reactions: dakotagun

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've oft wondered how a 7.62x39 would do,wearing a good .308" bore?

Looks like a fun project and it's a hammer................

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
It's actually a pretty popular round in NBRSA/IBS Score shooting. Mike Ezell did the initial work with it, calling it the .30 Major. It's basically a 30 PPC as the taper comes out of it when f-formed. They can shoot right with the 30BR's. -Al