data-csrf="1711645405,4545d0323ce569ec671e1f0ff95dcb18" ND Rut Ride | As Real As It Gets

ND Rut Ride

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
In the vicinity of dandihood
We don't have much for mud-holes or twisty trails through the trees (don't have many trees). Generally our biggest driving/hunting hurdle is deep, hard-packed, wind-blown snow. Weight is your friend bucking snow, as such....:

I've got a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers mounted on a 2nd set of rims I'll toss on come fall for a little more bite and to better handle rocks, gravel, etc. This time of year Whitey is a boat puller on the pavement and those smooth tires are just fine.

tlfw

Nov 27, 2007
Texas
I'd like to get into the 6.7L...but I don't want to tackle eating another elephant as I just finished my 2007 6.0L last year.

Squirt is eyeballing the beast with bad intent and I know has ideas of taking ownership when her time to drive arrives. Funny thing is the twin boys think it is too big...squirt thinks it still needs stilts and bigger shoes.

Tell me about the 6.7L. Does it look like a keeper engine? The 6.4L didn't impress...

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
I've got just under 4K on it so far. Only 1 honest "road trip" @ about 900mi and @ 73-75 cruise set, no AC I got a hand cal'd 18.95MPG for just under 200Mi. Just this week I finally emptied my 1st 2.5gal jug of DEF into the blue hole under the fuel door. DEF is ~$12/2.5gal, not even really a blip on the operating cost IMO.

Stickin' the turbo in the valley and reversing head-flow to make the shortest possible route for exhaust to spin the turbo up was pure fucking genious! The thing responds like a gasser when urged with the right foot. I've got 3:31's and with my boat in tow it comes off a stoplight better than my '06 6.0L did empty W/3:73's. My 6.0L was pretty good to me, did a exhause backpressure sensor @ 50K, FICM @ 75K and really nothing before or after that other than oil, filters, and fuel. The newer truck turns quite a bit shorter than the old one did as well despite having tires that are almost 2" taller. Peak TQ @ 1600RPM put it where a guy can actually use it whether cruising down the highway or running in traffic/town.

The 6.7L is just barely louder than your average gasser when it's idling and every bit as quiet when cruising. 75MPH @ 1700ish RPM doesn't suck.

tlfw

Nov 27, 2007
Texas
buddy has one in 6.7L and we can't decide who will be driving to Kansas for bow season. He doesn't have the steel up front like I do, nor the size of ass in the back...but I'm all for getting behind the 6.7L and in his ac/heated seats. Airconditioned seats! Are you kidding me? I may need to test that out next week when we are 97 degrees. Still May here. August will be nice. Borrow it for the trip to Florida. Except, I couldn't swing the tax bill if anything happened going through LA and MS.

Anyways, I don't care if we get stuck in his truck and he can drop me off and pick me up too.

Quiet...man those things are quiet!

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
We run the Nitto trail grapplers on a few work rigs here. Pretty good tire so far.

BUUUUT, what I think tlfw was getting at, was the tiny 285/75 R17's, as opposed to his 37"X13.5's.......(grin)

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
TX pard (Austin born/raised, Houston now) gets to Fargo Jan '11 and remarks about the tires on my '06 F250 looking like they belonged on a Ranger, they were 235/80/17 or 32x9.5. Pard from here gets is '09 with 33x12.5's stuck IN MY TRACKS in some deep snow and I turn around and pull him out going uphill.

He didn't give me anymore narrow-tire shit.

The pictured Nitto's are 34x11.5. 34x10 or even 9 wouldn't piss me off.

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
Yep, still like it. I've got 2 bitches about it. The fuel tank is too small, it's only 26 gal. Not really anybody's fault, there's no more room under there to hang a bigger one. 2nd is that you cannot completely disable the traction control. This is my 5th vehicle with traction control and I've decided you just have to realize that the algorithms written to govern traction control are not written by folks who drive on ice, compacted snow, or gumbo snot-mud. IMO, they're written to help folks stop/maintain control on wet pavement and nothing else. Neither of these would keep me from buying another, they're just annoyances. An 8' box model would solve the fuel tank issue as I believe they're 36-37gal, that'd be way better.

MPG hunting this fall was 12-13. Not bad for the stop, go, stop, glass, go, cut-off the coyote, stop, etc. My last road trip with it was 550mi round trip @ ~72-73MPH (Interstate in MN is 70) and I got 17MPG on blended fuel. I had it out for a spin today and on the current tank of fuel it's all been in town driving, lots of idle time for warmup and I'm averaging 10.5MPG. I've got 23K on it now and other than a DEF re-flash that all of the 6.7's got it's just been oil and fuel filter changes. I'm not following the oil life minder. I change oil every 5K no matter what and change fuel filters every 10K. No squeaks or rattles yet and it's done everything I've asked of it.

I get asked about DEF a lot, IMO, it's a non-issue. You can buy it almost anywhere they sell diesel fuel. I buy it locally for ~$15/2.5gal. I fill it myself when I know I'll be taking a long trip, other than that I let the dealership top it off during oil changes.

I had an '06 F-250 with the 6.0L diesel prior to this one and the '11 rides better, turns shorter, and must be better balanced, it's hard to get the back end to step out, even when you're trying.

Pappy

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Could not resist, thing pulls like mad. Hoping for good things out of it, am thinking this is not the new yote runner at least until I see one.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
My Toyo M/T's are toast at about 30K miles,aboard my Blue Bitch.

But I don't play on too much pavement...............

Pappy

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I've not seen 30k on any tire. But then again I spend most of my drive time in the shit, not on some pretty logging road.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
If a Golf Course is in the "shit"...then you've prolly gotta point. Purty hard on tires,the way you gotta stand on the brakes every 50yds,to open/close gates.

I'll open a ZipLoc,seal it and bring you a quart of fresh air to work...so you can see what it smells like...............

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
80mi run straight up the Interstate yesterday with a 10-15MPH tailwind @ ~80MPH yielded 16.5MPG on 50/50 blend.

Same drive back today INTO 25MPH wind @ ~76-77 yielded 12.9MPG again on 50/50 blend.

Wish I'd gotten the long box.

Pappy

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I got 10 mpg on the way home with it the other night with a 24' horse trailer and 20-30 mph headwinds. Crusing around the golf course here at home it has been getting around 15 and that is with some sitting around idling and not much highway.

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
Big Stick said:
I'd be curious to see how far my speedo is off,after jumping to the M/T's?...............
GPS will tell you. Get a lock, set the cruise and read the GPS screen.

FWIW, the Nitto's are ~1" taller than the stock tires and now my speedo is 'pert near perfect. With the stock tires I'm going ~2.5MPH slower than the needle reads when measured via GPS.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Need to have a talk with the Greens Keeper here,about how the grass on the Driving Range is gettin' outta hand...after she gets tonight's pork roast tossed in the oven.(grin)

Was fucking around opening Mail and can see where a guy could get some good JFK footage with the spotter/camera adapter................

mkoeh475

Dec 24, 2007
Wisconcsin
Horse1 said:
Yep, still like it. I've got 2 bitches about it. 2nd is that you cannot completely disable the traction control. This is my 5th vehicle with traction control and I've decided you just have to realize that the algorithms written to govern traction control are not written by folks who drive on ice, compacted snow, or gumbo snot-mud. IMO, they're written to help folks stop/maintain control on wet pavement and nothing else.
Not sure if it works on yours, but on my '12 F-150 you can completely disable the traction control. If you press the button once, the basic system is turned off. And if you press and hold for 5-10 seconds a message pops up saying that the AdvanceTrac system is off. One quick press again and the whole works is back on.

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
mkoeh475 said:
Horse1 said:
Yep, still like it. I've got 2 bitches about it. 2nd is that you cannot completely disable the traction control. This is my 5th vehicle with traction control and I've decided you just have to realize that the algorithms written to govern traction control are not written by folks who drive on ice, compacted snow, or gumbo snot-mud. IMO, they're written to help folks stop/maintain control on wet pavement and nothing else.
Not sure if it works on yours, but on my '12 F-150 you can completely disable the traction control. If you press the button once, the basic system is turned off. And if you press and hold for 5-10 seconds a message pops up saying that the AdvanceTrac system is off. One quick press again and the whole works is back on.
Turn advance track off and try to hang the back end out or put the whole thing into a slide. It's never "off".

mkoeh475

Dec 24, 2007
Wisconcsin
Doesn't one of them kick back on at 35?

Regardless, I've had zero sign of advance track being active at all this winter if I turn it off. Maybe a change from 11 to 12? Beats me, or maybe it's different from the 250/350 to the 150.

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
mkoeh475 said:
Doesn't one of them kick back on at 35?

Regardless, I've had zero sign of advance track being active at all this winter if I turn it off. Maybe a change from 11 to 12? Beats me, or maybe it's different from the 250/350 to the 150.
Turn it off, find some snow or mud, put it in 4wd, stay under 35 so you know they're off, make a 90 degree corner @ 10-15MPH and mash the gas in the middle so as to pull the whole rig sideways. It won't do it. That doesn't sound like a bad problem as I described above. However, try bucking deep wind-hardened snow or sticky/slimy mud. The rear tires often to not track with the front and then the system starts doing it's dynamic braking in an attempt to right the ship. I wish there was a 2nd key port for "Let me fucking drive" that'd completely disable TC and ABS.

mkoeh475

Dec 24, 2007
Wisconcsin
We don't get the mud or the snow that you guys do so I can't give it the full test. But a few weeks ago we had a couple inches and I did the test as you requested and I got the rig sideways.

Couldn't agree more on having all the shit shut off if a guy wanted.