data-csrf="1713507286,f5bd44a57f76a747da2f8c3b12e3367a" New Bow Choice | As Real As It Gets

New Bow Choice

labdad

Nov 20, 2007
Looking for a new bow. Would like axle-to-axle no longer than 30"-31" to facilitate handling and packing into the airplane. Thoughts on the Mathews Z7 and the Bowtech Assassin?

Painless

Administrator
Can't remember if I shot the Assassin or not, I shot a lot of bows while looking for a z7 Magnum. I know that I have shot the z7 and the z7 extreme and both are great bows. I just don't like the Extreme as it is just too short for me, the Z7 is about perfect though not as fast as I would like for it to be. From shooting the Z7 I can tell you that it is dead in the hand, no vibration what so ever, it is plenty fast and very quiet. The draw lengths tend to run about a 1/2 long and the wall softer than two cam bows. The draw cycle is very smooth as well. I have shot several Bowtec's but I never could warm up to them. One of my buddies had a Patriot or Admiral (could be mistaken on the names, it was their flagship from 09 or 10) and after the limbs split the second time he swore off bowtecs for ever. I have personally never seen this so take that for what it is worth.

I know my bow recomendation wasn't very helpful, but I can tell you without a doubt that the spot hog wise guy is about the best release going, and the Rip cord Code Red is one heck of a rest......Blake

labdad

Nov 20, 2007
Very good, thanks for the feedback. Have shot nothing but Hoyt and Martin and like the looks of the Onza 3 but would prefer a shorter bow. Really leaning toward the Z7. Thanks again.

standeford

Feb 3, 2009
Tennessee
I shot a pile of them last fall. I liked the Bowtech Assassin all right, but I ended up with a Darton 3800. It goes 33", but it is a machine.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
I'd worry about what feels good and what you shoot the best. As far as airplane requirements, todays bow cases are made more compact than ever.

My BIL just got the Mathews Z7 Extreme. Im not impressed the least bit. The bow is top heavy and the speed is not as advertised. He called Mathews and complained and they said the rating is taken with a bare bow. No string suppressors on, which is all rubber bullshit. I've had several bows including Mathews which all held close to advertised speeds. Don't know what happened in this case. Can't recall his draw length, which that has a bearing on speed.

Id shoot them all and roll with what feels the best in the shortest package.

Check out Hoyts new carbon riser bow. Very nice.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
Yes, about $1,200 give or take. Might land one next year for a primary huntn bow and put my Alpha Max 35 for backup.

I just picked up a new Hoyt Alpha Elite a few weeks ago. Just waiting for my other shit to come in. Talk about $$$$$. Gettn into the IBO scene.

No matter what you get into it requires deep pockets in todays time.

bgold

Jul 30, 2008
Missouri
That's what keeps me out of the new bow market.

I'm looking for a nice older used one to get back into bow hunting at the moment...

firedog

Nov 21, 2007
SW Washington
If you find what you like go over to Archerytalk.com and check out the classifieds. Lots of deals on new bows over there and might be able to find what you want. I am really interested in the Elite bows, heard lots of great stuff about them also.

I also vote for the Spot hogg wiseguy for release, shot my buddys in elk camp last year and loved it so bought one myself during the winter. Awesome release!!

Apr 3, 2010
Got my lefthanded Z9 off of there for a nice deal. Just arrived this evening.

firedog

Nov 21, 2007
SW Washington
Don't think you can go wrong with any of the big name bows made right now. Congrats on the new one. I keep saying I am going to go look but can't bring myself to not use my Guardian that shoots so nice. Maybe next year, like I mentioned really like what I hear about the Elites so I will at least shoot one.

labdad

Nov 20, 2007
I suppose I should brow-beat him into using a bow for the bear hunt this fall...

labdad

Nov 20, 2007
Yes, even though it suffers a bit in the overall condition of the hide, at least he stuck it fair and square.

labdad

Nov 20, 2007
Yeah, I went the 15,000 mileage route. No, plan to be carrying the 45/70 as your back-up/gun bearer, Bwana.

tlfw

Nov 27, 2007
Texas
Bill, I'm not busting on you...it was/is my all time favorite hunting video. Impressed is the word I'd use. You inspired me to get into shooting the sticks from strings. Dave did a good job on the camera work. Heck, I saw the video before we met in camp, and I couldn't wait to ask you about backing out of the jam earlier scene in the video. I didn't even realize the hide condition until you told me about it. What was the distance you closed in to...20 yards? Crazy good job...

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
I shoulda tossed a 'grin' in there.... I knew it was all in good fun!

IIRC it was 28 yds....been awhile since I shot my bow, damn shoulder.

Will have to pick it back up before October I guess!!

labdad

Nov 20, 2007
Just got it set-up with Back Country and have shot it some. Love it! The difference in noise, draw, speed and less vibration is nothing short of amazing.

Spencer SS

Dec 5, 2007
da Bayou state
Bowtech Destroyer all the way, bad motherfucker. The Z7 ain't bad either, but unfortunatly I'm a Traditional archer. If I didn't work in a bow shop, I wouldn't touch a compound outside of bowfishing.

Spencer SS

Dec 5, 2007
da Bayou state
If they were loud, something wasn't right. We've setup a mic and checked it; It averaged .5 deci louder than the Z7. Both at 28.5"DL, 65lbs DW, with CX Maxima 350 @ 462gn total arrow weight.

Spencer SS

Dec 5, 2007
da Bayou state
My Idea for the destroyer 350 would be 80lbs limbs and 900gn arrows for Dangerous game. I may end up with something like this one day, because I ain't gonna meet most of Africa's KE requirements for Bowhunting Dangerous Game with a longbow.