data-csrf="1711618163,fa715eb34223cb93d1e2a0bd0c2e11ee" New cabin build.... | As Real As It Gets

New cabin build....

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Figured I'd start a build thread. New cabin to play in during the winter months down here on the KP...

Had a guy out of Homer come set/drill some pilings (techno metal post alaska)....good dude and cost effective way to go.

Took a few days to get us to this point...

Wanted to start the build around 8', to get a better view...

Hoping to start framing around the 14th of the month.

fogswamp

Nov 19, 2007
Shower?.....power setup? Sorry just curious, I have a small cabin but I need a shower, thinking bath/ generator house separate

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Well...I'm going to have to see.

I have tentative plans to have a bathroom in the lower floor and some ideas on how to get shower capability and a toilet for the ladies to use.

This is pretty much just a winter use cabin, so I'm still brainstorming. Picked up a Honda 8500W generator last month with 5 hours on it for a song. When we're done getting her warmed in and I have some time and an can get some better measurements, I'll be in a better place to see what my options are.

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Have the same Hitachi NR83 nail gun. They're the shit.

Don't forget to block betwixt the floor joists at the middle floor girder before you lay down sheathing.

Bucket

Jun 16, 2009
Bill,
For the ladies restroom check out the Sunmar composting shitters. We have had one for a good 10-15yrs now and love it. Super easy.

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
TXNative said:
Looks good, why is the crawlspace so high?
Most places up there are elevated to keep bears out. I'm not too bothered with that, I really wanted to just capitalize on the view.

It has a pretty good view of the inlet while standing at/near ground level, but once your blinkers are 15' off the ground it really makes a big difference.

Plus I wanted to have a shop in the front part, underneath. To pull sleds in in the winter or just dink around out of the weather.

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Bucket said:
Bill,
For the ladies restroom check out the Sunmar composting shitters. We have had one for a good 10-15yrs now and love it. Super easy.
Those don't sound "fun"....but I'll have a look. I'm considering normal plumbing and a buried 500 gallon tank with holes shot in the bottom half.

Lawdwaz

Nov 25, 2008
Nice looking camp!

My boss was looking at getting into the Techno Post business but decided against it. It's a pretty neat way to go......

BrianW

Nov 18, 2007
Alaska
www.geocities.com
Very nice!

For a crapper, am I the only one who remembers those electric incinerator toilets in that one camp they used to put at the end of the road. Pad 2P? Was that the place?

They had the cool wax paper hats?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Who's gonna be around for The November to Remember?

More Bucks than ever and the relative Grade is offa the charts...............

haywood

Jun 5, 2010
Judging by the view, it's East of Anchor Point. North Fork road "area". Our place is near Knob Hill and we have a similar view. Just guessing though.

haywood

Jun 5, 2010
Just drove back to Washington to refill the bank account. I should have stayed to help ya with the trusses, roof etc. Instead I'm gonna park on I-5 with half a million of my closest buddies. Hasn't even been a week and I'm about to lose it.

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Took a bit of a break while we went on a cruise last R&R. Special K and Labdad got a bit more done before we left...

I came to work on Tuesday, and they went back up. Big thanks to Paul W and a few other buddies that volunteered to go up and give them a hand this week. Progress the last few days...

kenaislayer

Nov 17, 2007
Nice Dude! Mine has a similar interior design and our dimensions are the same. It looks like you had plenty of help.

Who gets to cut the Angle on your end rafter? :grin: For some reason that always seems more scary when your hanging out on the end of the roof.

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Finally all the doors and windows, even got the two large windows in the front. 300lb windows 14' in the air was fun. All the siding is on now as well.

Had the first fire before we left. Setting 16' of stove pipe, in 2' lengths is a bit of a pain in the ass to keep straight.

bobnob

Jan 15, 2016
NSW, Australia
Looks bloody awesome.

The wife and I made a dream come true the last 18 months and built a house for us and the kids on a few hundred acres 30 minutes from town.

Should have stopped daydreaming about it and actually done it twenty years sooner...

Good to see yours becoming a reality as well Bill.

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Been awhile since I updated on the build. We're far enough now that we can stay there comfortably during the winter months. Always a work in progress, but we've just spent 7 nights there after Christmas and had a great time.

Started insulating last fall...

Found a use for left over roofing...

Started in on part of the kitchen...

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Made a counter top and a kitchen base...

..even hung my custom copper pipe, walmart candle holder turned LED lamp.

That part of the kitchen will be done for now, at least until I finish out the wiring for the plug ins, etc...

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Some of the "non work" fun...

Made a table, but the wife said it had to stay at home.

Hauling gear with Labdads custom wheel/ski conversion kit...

Got almost a cord put up last week...

The boy and I made some box sets and he got them set out last week...

The kids have been in rally mode on their new sleds. Have taken up drag racing every other Sunday at the local roadhouse....

Family up from Iowa...

Little brother turned 7 the day before THanksgiving, so he got a birthday pie....

Had Thanksgiving up there, 9 people and 3 dogs, pretty comfortably. Needed a final scald on the turkey though...

Little Brothers first grouse...

The dog thinks it sucks...

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
As it turns out, leaving the parking break on, but trying to ride the sled anyways.....will lead to both your boot/pant leg catching on fire and your 2015 summit 800 with 200 miles. Well, it will lead to your wife catching on fire. (no pics of the sled, but it did better than the boots)

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Awesome man, the cabin is coming along nicely.

The boot is... not awesome. No skin grafts necessary I hope?

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
LOVE the "We do not have WiFi here". Who came up with that? Very clever.

You guys are living life the way it should be. Enjoyed the pics. Keep 'em coming.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
That's pretty sweet, Bill.

I have just over 600 miles on my 2015 Summit, now, but no fires that I can remember. You got me there! :grin:

What's your take on the new Arctic Cat 200's? I hear good things! I'm thinking of getting my name on the list this spring to get one next season. They are hard to come by!

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I'm hoping to drag the boat to Deep Creek and leave it there for May/June. Let me know if you guys will be in the neighborhood, and we'll coordinate a fishing trip in the Inlet.

I'm working on a couple new rods this winter, and two of them will be bent-butt halibut rods for the kids. They should be able to just leave them in the rod holders, and wind fish.

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Dan,
The 200s have turned out great, kids probably have close to 200 miles each. There is a bit too much ski/ground vibration transferred to the handle bars, so long rides are a bit tough on their arms and they are a bit finicky (some fixes for throttle cable adjustments and drilling out the pilot jet). Not sure if the Oldest will not out grow hers next year.

I'm looking really hard at the new Indy Evo for KT (and potentially Lilly).

If you need a place to stage the boat, we have plenty of space at the house in Soldotna. Will be around all summer....

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
If you end up swapping sleds for Lily, and moving the 200, please let me know. I'm probably in the market for Logan. He'll turn 8 in March. I think Rachel will still do fine with a 120 for another year or two; she just turned 4. I've got a line on two used 120's, so I think I'm set there.

My wife might like that Evo, and they seem priced right. I was thinking about one of the Renegade models with a 600 etec for her, but I don't think she'd use it enough to justify the purchase.

I'm planning to leave the boat at the campground we use quite a bit. It's less than 2 miles from the launch, and super convenient. Let us know if you want to get out fishing with us this summer. I might even be able to talk Chris into joining us! :grin:

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Will have a better idea come March, if I'll order two and ditch a 200, or not.

I'm soooo fucking tired of River and Sea, I'm going all polaris.

Looking at:
800 Pro RMK
Indy EVO ES x 2
Tritan XC for utility (plus some fun).

Going to be an expensive spring.

Would be fun to hook of for a trip on the water!

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Brother Bill said:
I'm soooo fucking tired of River and Sea, I'm going all polaris.
Man, I'm sorry to hear that! I bought a pair of sleds and a pair of 'wheelers from Bob, and he was great to work with. Their prices couldn't be beat, but I haven't needed them for any service work on them.

What's going on?

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Bob is the only on in that shop that has his shit together.

The owner is a useless cunt (several shitty conversations with that condescending prick), his wife is useless (would make a good donation as an MS 13 (probably a little harsh)) and his service staff (especially the fucks behind the parts counter) make my blood boil.

Sorry, I just got off the phone with them and my BP is still a bit high.......

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I remember one conversation with his wife at the boat show....
I can never remember her name, but she was trying to talk me into a set of Yamaha outboards and telling me that counter-rotating props were THE way to go, and it just so happened that she had a pair coming in that week, and she'd sell them to me really cheap. We were haggling over price, and Peter came up and proceeded to pontificate about how counter-rotating props were the bane of human existence. Her facial expressions were absolutely priceless! I just smiled and made my exit from the conversation.

I've kind of got my heart set on Suzukis, anyway. :grin:

Bubba in the service shop was decent to deal with, with outboards, anyway. I've never needed him for anything else.

But, yes, I largely agree with your other assessments, and I try and make it point to talk directly with Bob.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Was that the one where she said "Go big or go home.", and I said "I'm going home" and walked off?

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Tried to order a G3 18 and T50 yamaha from the wife, she said she couldn't help me. My buddy (he and I ordered a pair of Alumaweld together last fall) went to Peter at our Sportsmans show about a new Willie, Peter promptly told him he was busy and walked away to the hot dog booth. Peter tried to low hole me on a Willie last fall that was used, I needed him for an appraisal. Then played the dummy (quite well I might add) until I told him to fuck off, to which he responded by choking on his coffee and telling me to calm down. Did the same to another friend of mine, tried to buy it out from under him.

Bubba was the only reason I didn't stroke out today, as I tried to pay them for the work on my Summit. They couldn't even get the billing correct. Lost count of how many return trips I've done to the counter, with a fist full of wrong parts. Course I need something from them and I get the run around, they under bill me and call me 3 times in a 30 minute period and are all friendly on the phone.

Amazing to me that they are supposedly a "platinum dealer" for ski doo.

If a guy got one free pass, to really fuck someone up with no recourse ....I'd be on his door step like The Fucking Flash.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
cwh said:
Was that the one where she said "Go big or go home.", and I said "I'm going home" and walked off?
This particular conversation (where they contradicted each other) happened at the sports show in Anchorage last spring. But I do remember other conversations we had with her when you were with me in their shop, and I do remember you saying something along those lines...always the Prince of Tact! :grin:

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
That is what they call me. It was at the sports show, in the Ben Boeke.

Bill, sorry to hear of the shitty experiences. I know several people who live in Anchorage, but have bought sleds and boats there because they beat the shit out of AMDS & Deweys price wise.

On the upside, (from a polaris hater) the pro RMK is a nice ride...

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
I just put a 2015 Summit up for sale, if you know anyone looking....grin.

The bummer about it, I like Ski Doo product (I like Polaris too) and they do have great prices....but I'll pay extra any day of the week not to have to deal with assholes.

I bet I'll spend upwards of 60K at Peninsula Power in the next 18 months. When its all said and done, I'll park all my shit in the parking lot out front of River and Sea for a picture....

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Spent 10 days up at the cabin last time home, KT's Uncle and Cousin came up and we got a deck thrown on and did a little spring break riding.

Took the kids on a few fun rides, this one was all the way to the top of the "high country". Those 200s do pretty well, and the kids always impress me....

Kids had a few buddies come up for a few days during spring break..

Doesn't suck up there...

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Very nice BB!

Keep an eye on the sistered (3)2x girder over the years. Even if treated, they will look fine on the exterior but will rot inside. Tap on the side centerline with a knuckle like you're checking a watermelon for being just right. The butt end of a screwdriver will also give you a good acoustic response. As the insides start to go, they will definitely give more of a dull thud sound.

Because it wasn't apparent in the photos, I'd suggest taking a gander at the American Wood Council's publication titled "Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide" for anchorage of the joists/ledger at each end where the deck connects to the cabin. During an EQ, the ledger will usually split/separate at the exterior joists so the Code requires a hold-down connected to these two joists, through the ledger and into the floor diaphragm framing of the occupied space. Read through the "Deck Lateral Loads" section of that publication and peek at the typical framing plan and sections illustrating what I'm talking about. As an example of these forces, stand a book up on your desk and think of it as the book being your deck and the desk being your cabin, rocking the book left/right will separate it from the desk at its corners. The required hold-downs will keep your deck from doing the same....

Uncle Dave

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Driftin' said:
Very nice BB!

Keep an eye on the sistered (3)2x girder over the years.

Because it wasn't apparent in the photos, I'd suggest taking a gander at the American Wood Council's publication titled "Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide" for anchorage of the joists/ledger at each end where the deck connects to the cabin.
That's pretty good info!

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Happy to help out a Brother.

Been a licensed civil/structural engineer for a fair spell. Spent months assessing and designing repairs for more than 100 damaged residential and commercial properties after the Nisqually, WA and Northridge, CA shakers. Last 2 decades doing structural forensics for law firms, insurance co's and contractors when things head south so to speak, being an expert witness in both federal district and superior courts for same. I've seen some things....

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Yep, good stuff!

There are ledgerlok every ~18" into 2x6 backers for now. Next trip up will but threaded rods through in 4 locations (It is actually two decks side by each).

Still have some bracing to do as well. We got a bit ahead of ourselves the day we put the joists on over the sistered 2x's and I forgot to wrap the top of them as I had intended.

Driftin' said:
Happy to help out a Brother.

Been a licensed civil/structural engineer for a fair spell. Spent months assessing and designing repairs for more than 100 damaged residential and commercial properties after the Nisqually, WA and Northridge, CA shakers. Last 2 decades doing structural forensics for law firms, insurance co's and contractors when things head south so to speak, being an expert witness in both federal district and superior courts for same. I've seen some things....

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
One last thing BB,
The Code and the Deck Guidelines proffered above require solid 2x blocking where joists cantilever over supporting girder frames. One doesn't want the joists to domino or slide off the supporting girder ends. These blocks are missing from your photo above so I don't know if they were subsequently installed. For a lightly-loaded deck, you can likely just do every other joist space so each joist is connected to a block and you can easily face nail the joists to the blocking. You could also stagger each block above the girder to fill every joist space to allow face nailing. Face nail or screw one Simpson LTP4 installed horizontally at the center of each block to the bottom of each block and to the top of the supporting girder. The blocks/LTP's provide the load path betwixt grade and the decking, i.e. during an EQ, the earth moves and the structure needs to keep up.

You are likely savvy that all fasteners into pressure treated lumber are required by Code to be corrosion resistant. Those chemicals will eat those that aren't. Use the Simpson nails that go with their brackets. If you go with wood screws instead, follow the same logic as to size and finish.

Looking forward to the photos as you and yours enjoy your wonderful new cabin!

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
I savvy what your saying, and codes are good, but it is a cabin (and no permit/inspections required)...grin. I'll do the deck proper...

The joist blocking is on my "to do" list next time up as well, have to wait for things to firm up a bit before we can get back in there. Probably end of May.

Driftin' said:
One last thing BB,
The Code and the Deck Guidelines proffered above require solid 2x blocking where joists cantilever over supporting girder frames. One doesn't want the joists to domino or slide off the supporting girder ends. These blocks are missing from your photo above so I don't know if they were subsequently installed. For a lightly-loaded deck, you can likely just do every other joist space so each joist is connected to a block and you can easily face nail the joists to the blocking. You could also stagger each block above the girder to fill every joist space to allow face nailing. Face nail or screw one Simpson LTP4 installed horizontally at the center of each block to the bottom of each block and to the top of the supporting girder. The blocks/LTP's provide the load path betwixt grade and the decking, i.e. during an EQ, the earth moves and the structure needs to keep up.

You are likely savvy that all fasteners into pressure treated lumber are required by Code to be corrosion resistant. Those chemicals will eat those that aren't. Use the Simpson nails that go with their brackets. If you go with wood screws instead, follow the same logic as to size and finish.

Looking forward to the photos as you and yours enjoy your wonderful new cabin!

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Probably time for an update....

Spent the summer on the KP this year; painting the main house, replaced all the windows, built a deck, kids did the baseball/softball thing.

We did make it up to the cabin a bit to continue the chores and have some fun....

Spring riding...

Some mid summer...with a bit of work

A midnight ride...

Dog still likes it...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
How bad are the Bears?

Seems like everyone says they aren't improving and I'm suprised there's not a joint effort to knock them back,as I assume what all are saying rings true?

I don't miss that shit...............(grin)

Brother Bill

Administrator
Nov 17, 2007
Paradise, Alaska
Big Stick said:
How bad are the Bears?

Seems like everyone says they aren't improving and I'm suprised there's not a joint effort to knock them back,as I assume what all are saying rings true?

I don't miss that shit...............(grin)
We haven't had any issues yet, not to say we haven't seen any....grin.

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
Good pics Bill. I'm looking at building a barnominium in the future. I've come across some metal siding called TruLog. It's definitely something I'm interested in looking into in the future.

Shooter71

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Cool pictures. I’ve been rebuilding the house for years and can only get a project to about 85% completion before I rip something else apart. We don’t have any interior doors, which is nice when people come over. They bail as soon as someone needs the bathroom. Haha!!