Built a transmission adapter for the floor jack, because bench pressing a transmission/T-case isn't as much fun as it used to be.
Pulled donor T-case apart and followed crawl box instructions... hopefully. These parts are probably not required, but it reminds me of taking something apart and then trying to put it back together again.
These guys make a triple stick adapter for yotas with dual cases. http://www.radesignsproducts.com/triple---twin-sticks.html
So, you have H-L, H-L, and 4WD-2WD all independently shiftable. And you don't have to cut another hole in the floor, and you don't have to get rid of that sweet 32 year old vinyl bench seat. Had to have it, classics are worth keeping original!
However, the original shift lever, still in charge of H/L for the front case, did not play nicely with the new levers. They recommend heating and bending it, but its a steel/rubber vibration dampening type of shaft, and that just wasn't going to happen.
Addendum. If I hadn't mentioned it, Ags are awesome - incredible upgrade. I'm sure I can get stuck 2X deeper than before.
If I can track down some bolts and a breather fitting, I'll bolt her back in tonight. Then have to shorten a driveline on the rear, and hopefully don't have to fuck with the front driveline. Crossing fingers.
Well, I'm back... grin. Been drying shit out all day and just starting to put some of it away.
No pics on the deck, for some reason. Forgot I guess. Lots to report.
Ags are awesome, and if you have the chance, take it. Traction in mud/swamp is outrageous. Places I got stuck before, I walked through without spinning a tire. Having all that traction, while pushing diffs/axles/frame through the swamp, will require lower gears, because its a lot of work. So, second transfer cases was nice. Having 5 gears before 10mph (indicated, I have no idea how accurate that is) is nice while running rough trails, because you can pick the gear that you should be in instead of revving or lugging. I kept up with a full on buggy on 44" ags with no problem. Embarrassed him at points, as I have a front locker and he does not. Got stuck once, could have walked it out, but we gave it a quick yank and were done. Otherwise, it was a rock star the whole time. Having a super low first gear in the Obama heads was great.
I had to add to the tunnel to clear the triple stick. Welding sheet metal may not be my strong suit, but it got done, if not pretty. Incredibly time consuming, and I may post a picture of the horror show. Had to shorten the rear and lengthen the front drive line, and am happy to report that neither hiccuped. The 2WD/4WD lever isn't quite working right. Not sure if it is because of the stripped hole that I d/t'd to the next standard bolt size, or what, but of all the things to not work, that's great.
Summary: a couple bou's hit the deck, a moose got strung up, and there is one less wolf eating up there...
I'm game to pressure some wolves Want to put a little more range on my trap line this year too. Wouldn't mind running a couple snares out a couple of known wolf areas, but its gonna be cold
Wife and kid on top of the yota, and a pretty good example of why a moose buggy is handy. Picture taken from the top of the buggy.
Moose gutpile buried by a bear. Couldn't make the timing work to find him when he ate it. Never saw a bear except up high and late in the afternoon when it was too late to make a move. A shame, as there was meat stolen off a couple camp neighbor's meat poles.