data-csrf="1711665475,e9c579007738ebb23d39b3e3f06e602f" Not quite what I was expecting | As Real As It Gets

Not quite what I was expecting

remsen

Dec 9, 2007
Danville, CA
On a lark I took my wife out to the Tesla factory (it's about 20 miles from us) to see what electric cars are all about. She has a nasty commute and was wondering out loud how much easier it would be if she had access to the carpool lanes (you get that in CA if you have an electric car). Short version of the story is we took out the Model S for a test drive and walked out with a deposit placed on one.

I've driven some fast cars in my life but there ain't nothing like the moves on the Tesla. It really is like hooking up to a catapult. I can't say I'm a fan of being a guinea pig on new technology, so I know there may be a day when I really regret having bought the thing, but I haven't grinned that hard since the first time I opened up the secondaries on a 442 when I was 16.

remsen

Dec 9, 2007
Danville, CA
I really didn't want to like the damn thing. I'm sort of old fashioned when it comes to cars...I like manual transmissions and loud/powerful engines. The Tesla is the exact opposite of that. But when I got behind the wheel and the guy said "nail the throttle" I was converted. The power is unlike anything I've ever experienced, other than maybe a roller coaster. It's instant and overwhelming and it doesn't let up. I think that the number is something like low 4 seconds for zero to sixty, which is Corvette/Porsche territory. Since it's a single speed transmission the speed gains without any interruption and the handling just shocked me...the thing is heavy but all of the weight is very low, so it has sports car handling.

Best way I can describe the rest of the car is that it's what Apple would have built had they been in the car business. Things are well thought out and look great. I'm waiting for delivery so I can find the flaws that most certainly exist, but damn, electric cars can be fun to drive.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
remsen said:
Best way I can describe the rest of the car is that it's what Apple would have built had they been in the car business.
Bummer... but at least its fast right? Is the deposit refundable?

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
The one good thing about electric is it makes massive torque down loan vs. an internal combustion engine that has a power curve and the rpms have to come up before you're making torque.

If I hadn't escaped the bay area and had to deal with that traffic everyday, getting an electric to use the commuter lane would be a strong consideration. Can't believe we almost bought a house in Tracy to commute to Milpitas.

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
During morning PT, talking about safety, I've joked about surviving combat just to get smoked by a prius or some lezbo in a subaru.

Guess getting flattened by one of those wouldn't be quite so bad.

labdad

Nov 20, 2007
I sat in an S model yesterday while at a mall here in N.J. during my visit with the younger daughter. That is one sweet vehicle! If I lived in an area where it made sense to have one, I would.