data-csrf="1713595517,5cb1a0cd8cc128a8399ab1ad23160f6c" NRL22 | As Real As It Gets

NRL22

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Any of you shooting in this?

I've shot in about every match in my area for the last couple of years except for Benchrest, but I swear the NRL22 stuff is more fun than all the others combined.

I shot my first one in January and then the February match was cancelled due to the range turning into a swamp. Yesterday, we shot the March match and had a blast!

If you've got a match local to you and have been debating shooting it, I'd encourage you to get there ASAP!

Reactions: 7mmMato2

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Nothing like that around here,which is a shame................
The matches just started here a couple of months ago, but it's addictive as hell!

I've been fortunate to win both matches, but what a way to run the Vudoo's and anything else hard and fast...

It does a great job of exposing a lack of fundamentals too and making you wish you'd practiced more.

Shooting from standing and kneeling has been my Achilles heel in both matches...

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
They're really smart with it. Every month, they put out 5 stages that each match must have. They lay out all of the rules and gear that is allowed on each stage. This way, shooters are competing not only against the other competitors in their match, but all of the other shooters across the country.

What's really smart though, is that they announce the course of fire about 2 weeks before the next month's matches start, so everyone has plenty of time to practice, get their dope down etc...

Each match director can and usually does, add some additional stages. Since NRL22 limits their stages with targets from 25 yards to 100 yards, most match directors add a stage or two, with shots going out to at least 200 yards if not farther.

This month, my local match had a bonus stage with the farthest target at 202 yards and another bonus stage shooting handguns. For the handgun stage, you could shoot your own or shoot one of theirs.

This is the page where they have all of the previous courses of fire available for download.

NRL22 Stage Downloads

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
It looks like a riot. Someone in Anchorage/MatSu should start a club. Appears the only one in AK is in Talkeetna.

7mmMato2

Oct 7, 2019
It is a blast. I have shot 5 or 6 of them. I suck at it but it is fun. One match I went to had a bonus stage with steel at 204 yds and 354 yards. They let us practice before the match to get our dope. I was hitting them consistently in practice but when we ran that stage I got off a five mils on when I spun my dope by the time I figured it out on the 204yd target and moved on to the 354 I ran out of time. Wind was complete opposite at 354 then it was at 204. Practicing off of the obstacles pays off. I'm using a Tikka T1 and was using a Swfa 12x I like the SWFA but not being able to crank the power down to help find the targets was a handicap. And only 5 mils per rev was a pain in the ass as well. I am now running a LRHS 3-12 it seems to work a little better but I like the reticle in the SWFA a little better. Going to Southern Kansas for Long Range PRS match this weekend found another range having a NRL22 match on Sunday so Im going to stay over and shoot at it as well. These NRL22 matches are fun and challenging.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I think I'm going to break down and buy a set of the targets so I can shoot the stages repeatedly, with multiple rifles to see how they perform against each other...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I mused same,but already have a complete KYL Swinger Rack and a 1/5 Scale Steel Sillywet set up.

Pass the Vudoo.....................(grin)

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Are they doing this at Kettlefoot?
No, they're shooting them at a farm outside of Johnson City in Limestone TN.

In case you're interested, I'm planning to shoot in an NRL22 match in Knoxville on Saturday...?

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
FYI...my positional shooting sucks...like cost me 90 points in the match sucks...

Anybody have any tips on how to improve with it?

The magazine on the Vudoo is in the way, but I'm having a hard time choking down the cost of a few of the billet 5 rounders...

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
Positional as in off all sorts of odd objects, or as in sitting, kneeling, standing?
For the latter there is 100 books or more. Read and learn the basics of the positions and then practice. For the former, set up similar type obstacles(rests) and practice and try different positions to learn what works.
Good shooters dry fire many more practice shots than they ever live fire.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Positional as in off all sorts of odd objects, or as in sitting, kneeling, standing?
For the latter there is 100 books or more. Read and learn the basics of the positions and then practice. For the former, set up similar type obstacles(rests) and practice and try different positions to learn what works.
Good shooters dry fire many more practice shots than they ever live fire.
Mostly sitting, kneeling and especially standing.

Since it looks like I'm working from home for the next few weeks, I'll be setting up something in the basement to dry fire with...