data-csrf="1714077461,0b7ffac09a46ed28a2d2d1f2af8ddf4c" Oh No, oh no oh no oh no…. | As Real As It Gets

Oh No, oh no oh no oh no….

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Pards rifle last week…

Had we been citizens of the US of A using Talleys coulda been a $50 000 mistake (literally), as we were on a Stone Sheep hunt.
I woulda been WAY less interested in letting him use my rifle if I’d been paying non resident prices for a tag, versus $65 for an over the counter hunt.
As it were, the 600km drive and day of backpacking were a bitter enough pill for him as it was… Probably didn’t help that there were some “I warned you”s tossed in for good measure….(grin)

Attachments

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
Yea
That sucks
Was sitting in a deer stand hunting and happen to notice mine broken though on the top ring half
Had a second set break the same way
Don’t trust them so much anymore and have very few left

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Yup. I had 3 sets break, one on a hard use rifle, and two not so hard use.
I heard this one break when he took it off his pack and set it against a rock (gently, being a brand new custom) so it made me look when I heard the ‘ping’.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
If Talley burned those out of steel with a wire EDM and added some pitch in the process, they'd really have something.

Reactions: KodiakHntr

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Nice work. The incline adds a lot of complexity to a mill job; nothing lost for most shooters. I like the lightening cuts!

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Sorry for your pards misfortune. ;(

There's two red flags just in the pic that should have been addressed. For the 99% that just want to go 'Farmer Tight' on everything and never look at anything when doing it, there are better choices.

Good shootin'. -Al

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Not sure which red ones you are seeing Al, but I was there when everything was torqued to exact spec as per Talley instructions. And not with a Wheeler torque wrench.
He’s a logging supervisor that spends an inordinate amount of time inside equipment fixing stuff that shouldn’t have broke if it had been fixed properly in the first place, so he’s pretty dialed in on using the right tools for the job, and to spec.

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
I have no doubt things were torqued per spec. However, just because it's torqued doesn't mean it fits correctly.

To understand these Talley LW's, people need to realize they are an aluminum extrusion. That's not good or bad..it's just what they are. The extruding process imparts an enormous amount of stress into the material, which remains in the product after it's finished. When a highly stressed piece of extruded aluminum is mated to another part, it's imperitive that the fit between the parts be such that no additional stress in put on the part. When an extruded piece flexes in an attempt to conform to the shape it's being mounted on, the additional stress on a piece that already has a lot of stress in it can cause them to fail.

In the picture, the stress crack is vertical...right up through the mounting screw area. The pic clearly shows that the bottom of the mount in no way conforms to the shape of the receiver. And additional stress is put on the rings when the tops are screwed down since the parting line area of the Talley LW's often rolls inward.

I've written and showed pics dozens of times on how to get ahead of this, not only with the Talleys but other setups.

The last few sets I got have some subtle changes to them, including a longitudinal relief cut on the underside of the base...likely in an attempt to get them to conform better to the receiver shape. I think all this cut does is to remove strength in an area that's already highly stressed....thereby making a bad fitting situation worse. In a decent fitting situation, it might help. It would be interesting to see if that set of rings show that relief cut.

Rails and other mounting systems can be more forgiving...which people mistake as 'better'. when it comes to issues like this.

While I love the Talley LW's, they're certainly not for those that don't want to take it further and have a stress free, light weight setup. They bolt on rails and think they're great. But the stress is still there..it's just under the radar.

This won't exactly endear me to the masses but there you have it. ;)

Good shootin'. :) -Al

Reactions: Robertham1

Robertham1

Jun 16, 2015
Al,
I believe I have seen your write up on how to properly bed Talleys, but don’t recall the thread.

Would you mind sharing the link?

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Glad I asked, and appreciate you taking the time to write it out Al.

Doesn't mean I'm gonna go back to them, too much farming going on around here to do anything but go farmer tight on stuff, but I appreciate the insight.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I don't know anyone who shoots even a smidge,that has not had a LW failure.

They are easy to walk past...............