data-csrf="1711665402,88e18a0d458e1997e7ad71f889b1bb26" Old classic glass | As Real As It Gets

Old classic glass

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Picked up a nice Bausch and Lomb Zephyr Light 7X35's with the original leather case, circa early '70's. Magnesium body and pretty good coated lenses....the color resolution is excellent. Not waterproof but a nice set for in the truck, etc.

No denying how good modern glass can be but some of the older stuff is pretty darn good.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Those are cool Al!

My father has a set of Leupold Gold Ring Binos that are probably 30 years old or older. They are still clear, although I keep prodding him to send them into Leupold for a good cleaning.

SnowshoeWalker

Oct 1, 2018
Alaska
I think I have the same set Al Nyhus, I'll check out the model when I get home. I have a handful of old B&L optics, including one of their old spotters. The clarity and build quality back in the day on that stuff had to be top shelf. Great stuff.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
My Dad had those. Built in Rochester NY by real optics experts when B&L wasn't a "brand", it was a company. Leather case and all. The strap rotted but otherwise nice.
I had to wash my hands before I was allowed to touch them, but I eyeballed a lot of "firsts" through that old glass! They were under my coat when I walked the woods with the 541S he bought me in 1971, when I was too young to even know what it was. I still remember how they smelled.
I'm short on sentiment and nostalgia, but that picture does it.