data-csrf="1713564323,f61c2196924d271cbe82eef30881f4fb" OUCH!!!...………... | As Real As It Gets

OUCH!!!...………...

SnowshoeWalker

Oct 1, 2018
Alaska
-28 here right now. Heading out for a 3 day predator hunt in the morning. I love me some real winter hunting and camping. I like that stupid cold stuff, we need more of it. It's a good population control feature.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Buddy in Texas was rubbing it in,that it's "only" 76 there,so it's barely a 156 degree difference.......................(grin)

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
In the vicinity of dandihood
Straight #1 keep the diesels runnin' or is there some other secret sauce for that cold? I've owned a diesel pickup for ~10yrs now but -25F ambient is the coldest I've had to run one. Straight #1 is a non-issue but there's a big difference regarding diesel @ -25 vs. -40 and less.

Reactions: wolfman

SnowshoeWalker

Oct 1, 2018
Alaska
Apparel? Big puffy down jackets are nice. When I go out predator hunting in those temps, it's layers topped by down. Liner gloves in insulated mitts and bunny boots with thick Darn Tough socks

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
If - 70 wind chill is forecast, i like to wrap a nice cabin around myself and stoke the fire. Predators are safe from me.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Jeezus, -42 before the wind chill.

Thought it was sporty here when we were 150’ in the air hanging pipe in a -15 windchill. Can’t imagine there is much machinery that would run at -42.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I reckon there's some additives.(grin)

Have one machine alone,swilling 20,016 gallons a day,at it's current rate.

Pard shot this frame,day before last...as it was a touch "brisk" that morning..................

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Was -40*C here today until noon-ish, but dead calm. Calling for -47*C with the breeze tonight though.

Not positive I believe it though, as it is currently warmed up to -30*C (which I *think* is -24*F according to the above pic...grin)

Was cold enough that the tires on my pickup took about 20km before they weren't flat in one spot.

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Well its all about what you are used to... I was thinking it was a bit brisk as I stood outside just now pissing off the deck in my jammie pants and flipflops. Definitely a breeze outside now.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
-4 F at the cabin and much colder down on the lakes. Bout froze my hands again. Nothing wanted to jump into my traps and end the misery though.

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
I can't even imagine temps that low. I can imagine 95 degrees with 95% humidity.

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Buddy in Texas was rubbing it in,that it's "only" 76 there,so it's barely a 156 degree difference.......................(grin)

The fact that they feel the need to point out a wind chill warning when the ambient is -44 tells me all I need to know...

I can't even fathom that kinda cold...

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
-42F ambient is the coldest I can recall ever having to deal with myself. Had to pull the battery out of my '85 Ford Ranger and let it warm up in my dorm room for a few hrs, then my truck would start.

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
We're about 1/3 of the way through a 12-14 day predicted stretch where 0 +/-2F is the predicted high temp for the day and minus high-teens to minus mid-twenties the lows overnight.

Sends a fair lot of folks elsewhere, mostly folks without any roots to the area.

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
We're about 1/3 of the way through a 12-14 day predicted stretch where 0 +/-2F is the predicted high temp for the day and minus high-teens to minus mid-twenties the lows overnight.

Sends a fair lot of folks elsewhere, mostly folks without any roots to the area.
Currently -47*C with the wind. Supposed to warm up to -25*C tomorrow. Which doesn't seem like much of an improvement, but generally what happens is a guy will start seeing town folk out and about in shorts when it hits day highs of -20-ish after a week of these temps. Pretty sure it is all a mind set, survive -40-ish for a week and -20 seems right fucking pleasant after that.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
It was -35 the other day and no wind,with guys not even wearing jackets.

It's ALL about the wind.................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I made it out last night but it hit -125.

I’m happy to report I’ve never seen -49 ambient with 35mph winds.............

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
I can't even imagine. Do gas engines even run in that weather without coaxing?

SnowshoeWalker

Oct 1, 2018
Alaska
That's intense cold. Coldest ambient I've ever seen was -62°F. My old Dodge Dakota started and went down the highway, but the belts screamed like mad and the tires pounded the snot out of me for 6 miles before they rounded out the flat spots. The truck never got warm inside, but the windshield didn't ice over inside, so I was fine.

The

Jul 24, 2009
Its a Secret
I don’t know if there are additives in the fuel, but probably.

Larger equipment usually stays running high idled if it can’t be parked in a heated shop. There are a lot of heated shops. There are also Wabasto, block, and battery heaters on them so plugging them in usually works. The problem with equipment usually isn’t getting them started. It’s what happens to belts, hoses, seals and hydraulic fluid when it’s that cold and you are using them.

Most small shit usually has block, battery, and transmission heaters with a trickle charger. So plugging it in usually it will start. When extremely cold everything is usually left running 24/7. Most 550’s I’ve seen also have a high idle installed.

Most outdoor work is stopped around -35-40 because equipment likes to blow hoses and seals if used in those temps and a lot of shit requires equipment. People are not out in those temps very long unless it is absolutely necessary, and that’s rare. Once a few of use chose to do a small job at -65ish. We decided to do it and if someone would have been around they probably wouldn’t have let us. We got it done but it probably took at least twice as long. If you are working in a small structure throw a heater trunk in and within 20 minutes it’s good enough to work in.

Dressing warm is the same as anywhere. Everyone is different. Some people need bunnies some don’t. Some people are cold fully dressed in arctic gear. Thermals, hoody, hat and FR bibs usually gets it done. A jacket and face mask if you are out in it for longer. Korbana or Carrhartt fr jackets.

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Worked at a large veggie processing plant each summer back in the late 70's/early 80's to pay for college. Ran an electric forklift in and outta a huuuuge warerhouse freezer that was -20F. Not a temp I'd like to live at for any period of time....