data-csrf="1711648083,ce5a27fb1bbe8aebb87cccf53c5ad2b7" Out of 105 BTHP's, next option? | As Real As It Gets

Out of 105 BTHP's, next option?

RDW

Sep 6, 2014
Hornady's run the best in my 6 CM and so far very good in the 6 Grendel but I am almost out.

What is the next best option, Scenar's, Matchking's, Berger's?

All applications are deer, hogs and long distance steel.

Joshf303

Dec 24, 2014
Easily Skinners...
Although I’ve killed a bunch of hair and steel with 108s too.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
Josh,
Do you punch shoulders with the scenars?

I've shot 2 antelope, 3 whitetail and a mule deer tight behind the shoulder with them and they have all died but ran a lot farther than I'm used to seeing. Seems like they dont start expanding much til they get at least halfway through a critter

RDW

Sep 6, 2014
I grabbed a 1000 Scenar's while I had the chance and will look at the MK's.

Joshf303

Dec 24, 2014
Josh,
Do you punch shoulders with the scenars?

I've shot 2 antelope, 3 whitetail and a mule deer tight behind the shoulder with them and they have all died but ran a lot farther than I'm used to seeing. Seems like they dont start expanding much til they get at least halfway through a critter
Typically yes, esp knowing how Scenars “act”....

I’m not scared to bust shoulders with them over their counterparts with everything being equal. Curious on what chambering, velocity you are referring to on the critters?

I did overlook Dave’s 6 Grendel option in the OP. I’d weigh starting and impact velocity pretty heavily with the Scenars on game there knowing they are a little harder. Going “softer” there wouldn’t be a bad way to fly IMO...

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
Josh

I e been shooting scenars out of a 20" 6mm creedmoor. Velocity is about 2980 at the muzzle. Shots have been between 100 and 400 yards. The mule deer died the quickest, I think it's because it has the most body to expand in.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Typically yes, esp knowing how Scenars “act”....

I’m not scared to bust shoulders with them over their counterparts with everything being equal. Curious on what chambering, velocity you are referring to on the critters?

I did overlook Dave’s 6 Grendel option in the OP. I’d weigh starting and impact velocity pretty heavily with the Scenars on game there knowing they are a little harder. Going “softer” there wouldn’t be a bad way to fly IMO...

The Hornie 105 BTHP is VERY happing running/jumping Krunchenticker feed ramps,whether on '10's or '15's.........................

Joshf303

Dec 24, 2014
The Hornie 105 BTHP is VERY happing running/jumping Krunchenticker feed ramps,whether on '10's or '15's.........................

Yes Sir... that’s what the ARC is eating currently in factory fodder. Velocity is anemic as shit but just planning on whistling those through for the brass.

I’m a fan of them for sure, but not sure what I’ll use when I go to loading for it.

go ahead

Jul 22, 2008
TN
I’m glad Josh asked that question. I had a long night a few weeks back and ordered 20 pounds of lever and when I was putting it up I found 2 8# jugs. Very good shape on small primers too. We shoot a few 223’s and 223AI’s but was wanting to put something together in 6mm especially if it will run on lever. Sooo the big question is 6ARC or 6BR? Thanks fellas.

go ahead

Jul 22, 2008
TN
I have a couple 223 Montana’s and would like to keep them the way they are but sure like the idea of a baby 6mm Montana too. I like the tikkas fine and would rather rebarrel one of those than a hard to get Montana I guess.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
6 ARC is on a "Grendel" size head, so an odd size bolt face. 6BR is a smooth fit for the 308 bolts.
Given what you mention, a 6x45 on a Montana would be a simple change. You've already got brass to go with the powder and primers.

Joshf303

Dec 24, 2014
6 ARC is on a "Grendel" size head, so an odd size bolt face. 6BR is a smooth fit for the 308 bolts.
Given what you mention, a 6x45 on a Montana would be a simple change. You've already got brass to go with the powder and primers.
Wonder if there is enough meat to open a .223 bolt face up to take a Grendel case...

6 BR is the easy button for sure.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
The Kimber 223 bolt is quite a bit different than the 308 . Lots of subtle but significant dimensional changes. I wouldn't mess with it, which is saying something. I'll attack about anything with the lathe, mill, and TIG welder.
The ARC might actually feed and function in a 308 size rifle too, but I wouldn't build that [or a BR] when a 6 CM will just drop in.
I've envied Stick his 6BR Montana but not enough to reproduce it.

go ahead

Jul 22, 2008
TN
Wheels turning. Kinda think I’ll just build the BR. My wife wants to take the girlsto Glacier next year when we’re in Montana so maybe I’ll swing by Columbia Falls and pick up a action. I really like tikkas just fine so I’ll rebarrel a 223 to 6x45 and leave the Montana’s alone so I can give each daughter one.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Exactly correct. KILLER Lapooey brass,one pass in a sizer and you are there.

OEM 223 COAL,do it alotta favors and you can happily 88 there.........................