data-csrf="1711701369,91df797874443e1fc41689bee50b6bbf" Packin pistol | As Real As It Gets

Packin pistol

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
If you're out for the day or week in the woods what the pistol packing? For me it's the Mdl 57 in 41 mag. What's your pick 422, grock, SA?

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
Had a good pard that really dug the 5.7. Claimed to have dumped a buck at about a 100 yards with one. Wouldn't have doubted him.....

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Usually a 422 or 622...though my Kimber TLE makes the trip more and more...Chris

Spencer SS

Dec 5, 2007
da Bayou state
This could go anyway you want it.

Me, I'm a wheelgunner, 4" 686'll get about anything done. If I'm needn' more punch, Redhawk 44M with stout 286gn hard cast loads. Rimfire, 617, gotta like an even 10 round.

Jug head

Feb 1, 2009
Ruger MkII most of the time and a 4 inch 629 SS .44 mag if I think I might have to kill something.

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
A had a 6" 629 for a while. Very much liked the pistol except the barrel was just to much. Really would have liked the same pistol in a 4 inch.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
I hardly ever pack a pistol anymore, and rarely regret it.

The 4" 629 is nice, and the 329PD is even nicer, at least to carry.

Forgot I even had that pistol until now.

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
629 is a great gun and for shooting I like it better. But damn, that 329 is easy to pack.

I haven't personally owned a M&P. I've shot them quite a bit with some evil contractors, LE agencies and individuals. Some of the guys love them no doubt and they are hard working guns. I don't recall any puking.

The trigger is not the classic reset style that I'm used to and prefer. I like working the reset of my go fast guns. Saying that, one of my pards whose agency went M$P AR and Pistols was issued the full sized and compact pistols. The trigger on his full sized is very different than the other M&P's I had shot. Still a long ride without the reset but much smoother and lighter than the other earlier dozen or so I had shot.

The XD45 and Glock 31 are tough pistols that really work.

If you want to play R&D with the M&P, I'm GUESSING you'll have a solid pistol to beat the shit out of for a long time.

A bunch of the guys I work with have been issued the Glock31 which is a strong, tough durable weapon. Some of them also own the XD45 and are constantly trying to get it approved for their department. For my money on a polymer I'll take the Croat gun.

Jug head

Feb 1, 2009
No doubt the 629 is more fun to shoot.I'd like to see how much abuse the 329 is capable of though.I can't believe the price increases on the smiths.

The trigger on the M&P is lacking,but supposedly they have a 2nd gen trigger in the works.

I like the croation sensation and it's tough to beat the price for magazines.I've seen them in grab bins for next to free.

TWR

Feb 27, 2009
Oklahoma
Jug head said:
Rogue said:
Jug head said:
As nice as the mountain gun is,the 329 is better.
Can't argue facts....
I fucked up and bought the 4 inch 629 rather then the 329.
Na, at least you can shoot the 629 with full power loads, my buddy was in yesterday and reminded me how it takes the first half of the cylinder to get past the stinging sensation in his hand and on to numb with his 329... but pigs is all I gotta worry about and 44 specials work just fine.

Jug head

Feb 1, 2009
I've never had an issue with the 329 and I feed it a steady diet of 2400 and 250 grain hard cast.

I've had plenty of experienced shooters touch off 18.5 grains of 2400 and 250grainers in a 4 inch 629 and cry about the "magnum",which is nothing but Keiths .44 special load.

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
Got a friend that had to get a S&W 500 when they first came out. It weights more some of my rifles and really lets you know when you trip the bang switch....

44's and 41's are what I mostly dig in revolvers.

Jug head

Feb 1, 2009
Buddy of mine bought the 5 inch 500 smith and picked up two boxes of Corbon.You could feel your clothing compress standing next to the fucker going off. He ended up buying a lyman mould and loads it in the 1000 fps range and it's a shitload of fun to shoot and it still flatens shit. All of them,44 and up are fun until you start getting above 1000fps and then it becomes abusive.

TWR

Feb 27, 2009
Oklahoma
Rogue, I shoot 44 SP's most of the time in my 629 Mountain gun. Pack it when I go fishing with rat shot and it makes a great snake charmer. 240gr HP's when just tooling around on the 4 wheeler shooting armadillos and such.

I don't break out the magnums until deer season but truthfully a 900-1000fps 240 gr bullet will do all I need it to do.

Jug head, the same buddy of mine has a 500 as well, it's pretty sweet to shoot with light loads but I ran a couple heavy loads and found the 44 is my limit.

said MG;

TWR

Feb 27, 2009
Oklahoma
I had a 6.5" Classic that I shot pretty hard but I have to admit, I baby this thing.

Sold the classic and convinced myself I wouldn't buy another 44 until it said MG on the side, took a couple of years to find a pre-lock.

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
Very nice. I had a 6 inch classic that was a blast to shoot but it was a truck gun and never on my hip. I could see a 4 inch 629 in my future.

Jug head

Feb 1, 2009
I can't believe the new prices that the smiths demand.Last 629 I bought was $650 new and it's only been a couple years.They're in the $850 range now..

Jug head

Feb 1, 2009
Rogue said:
My current favorite. Mdl 57 in 41 RM.
Interesting that's what departments carried as a service revolver,little classier then a grock.Times change.

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
I paid $350 for a new in the box one owner 629 in 2005. Yeah. Anyhow, we keep our eyes and ears open and hope we haven't burned all our play money when a deal shows up, right.

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
Grock 22's are bad ass brawlers. I've got well over 10K rounds through one and haven't given it a real cleaning. Knocked it down maybe three times.

Ain't nothing sexy about em.

TWR

Feb 27, 2009
Oklahoma
I know... I gave $600 for this one used but still very tight.

I know another guy who has a 29 MG with lock for sale, he wants $750 for it, too rich for my blood.

I bought a 6" 629 the day the supreme court ruled in favor of the 2nd amendment cause I liked the lighter barrel (no under lug) and felt like celebrating(?) it was less than $700 but it went down the road as it didn't shoot anything like my classic or this MG for that matter.

Jug head

Feb 1, 2009
For $350 you pretty much skinned his ass for him and sold him back a hairy bill fold.

Jug head

Feb 1, 2009
I like glock and have a 17 that's been through hell and eats anything it's fed and I feed it cheap shit.

I nearly caved and bought a new gen 3 G23 because it was being closed out dirt low for the gen 4's.Went back and it was gone.

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
Sounds like the Gen 3 may be the better ride. Haven't ran the fours hard enough to say first hand. Everyone kept crying about the fours so I haven't bit.

Sounds like they've worked the bugs out.

Jug head

Feb 1, 2009
Some of the "experts" are predicting that the gen 4 will be a better gun in the larger calibers.Hell if I know.

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
No idea. The last true test dummy I played, I bought a sight unseen Tikka Whitetail Hunter in 1999 IIRC. Don't like dropping coin on unproven junk until I've finger fucked it somewhere else. I've probably only popped 500 round though gen 4's owned by others.

I'm kind off thinking stick to XD for anything new to me in polymer until something else comes along.

Jug head

Feb 1, 2009
I like the XDM from the standpoint of shooting hardcast because it lacks the glocks poly barrel.But I've known plenty who shoot cast in the glocks without issue.In all fairness cast isn't why I buy a glock in the first place,but it is handy to shoot in the .45acp.

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
Jug head said:
I like the XDM from the standpoint of shooting hardcast because it lacks the glocks poly barrel.But I've known plenty who shoot cast in the glocks without issue.In all fairness cast isn't why I buy a glock in the first place,but it is handy to shoot in the .45acp.
Cast is good stuff and for high volume blasting it's hard to beat it for price. I score a decent cache of Linotype years ago and just know starting to run low. Played with a four inch XD in 40 S&W today. Very tough not like them.

high country

May 11, 2012
Add the x frame grips to your 329 and feed it anything you would a 6" 629. A huge help.

This what they look like....

Lawdwaz

Nov 25, 2008
For the lighter end of the packing gun side, a S&W 317-3 might be an option. I just got this one last week, 2nd hand.

422, 317 and Gene Wiseman lightweight folder......

high country

May 11, 2012
This 450ti didn't last long as I traded it off for a SxS 16 to a fool, but imagine 19oz. 45lc+p....it bucked so hard it would pull 3 bullets out of the case with a factory crimp die. Was sweet at shutting up the tough guys though...lol!

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
This year, I've got the His/Hers CCW where I want it.

Woulda taken my own pics but haven't had the time..Laffin..

His: Kimber Pro Carry II 45 ACP 28 oz. empty.

Hers: S&W 360 PD 357 5-shot. Only weighs 11.4 oz empty. This is the third and last one for the wife. The other two didn't work for her. Either too heavy or she didn't like the DAO pull on the other Smith revolver.

Jamie

Nov 17, 2007
Oly. WA
When in the woods I normaly carry rifle, a lot of the time it's a CF22. If I get the wild hair to carry a pistol then its a blackhawk beisly in 45LC

Painless

Administrator
Guys I know I am a little late on this one, but I picked up a new packin pistol and I am digging it. I grabbed a DB9 for less than 4 bills (actually less than 3 as I had some christmas gift cards on me). The little bastard is a handful but I'd not want to be on it's receiving end. I read that a few folks were having some issues with theirs but to date I haven't had a single issue with mine. I have put about 400 rounds of cheap plinking stuff through it and almost 100 of the Hornady TAP rounds as well. First few clips had a couple of bobbles but it was mostly me figuring out how to hold it and stuff like that.

Not sure if I trust it with my life just yet but so far it has done everything I have asked of it.

A couple of pics