data-csrf="1711652791,ce964903ec596865b106a965e4931084" Piston conversions.... | As Real As It Gets

Piston conversions....

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
When the piston ARs came out the talk was that they were the only way to go if the rifle was going to be suppressed. The hoopla seems to be gone and you don't see much about them anymore.

Last fall when we were playing with my buddies LR308 suppressed you couldn't put more than about 50rnds down before the chamber was so fucked up it wouldn't cycle. Would like to avoid that with my 300blk if I can.

What's the scoop, yay or nay?

Armed Ferret

Dec 18, 2007
Maryland, wishing it was TX
keep it wet and you don't need to worry about it. i've done 150-ish thru the .308 suppressed in a single range trip, just got the working bits wet every 25-30 rounds and had zero hiccups.

the blackout's even less finicky. usually will go 200-300 rounds of subs before it gets any cleaning attention, and even then it's not a long job.

the DI system is pretty self-regulating when it comes to buildup; bout the only way to really *REALLY* gunk shit up even with a can is an adjustable gas block set as low as it will POSSIBLY go to still cycle things. find that point, open it up one or two more clicks, and enjoy the self-cleaning aspect of the gas operation. (grin)

Armed Ferret

Dec 18, 2007
Maryland, wishing it was TX
main problem with piston ARs is the fact that every single fucking one is slightly different, parts don't interchange, and if a company goes tits-up, you're left with a gun that at VERY best will need to be switched to DI eventually if something gets borked.

my ak's and sks's are piston guns, and they do fine with that.

my AR's are all DI rigs and they do fine with that.

never really felt a need to change it up.

Eagle1899

Dec 9, 2007
not where I would like
I really love my Adams Arms Piston upper. 11.5 with a can is very handy. I only clean it because I feel guilty. I am pretty sure it could run indefinitely suppressed without a hiccup.

Every thing else gets retard dirty in quick order with a can.

J-Hon

Administrator
Dec 11, 2007
Northern Ky
My buddy has an Adam Arms kit on his 300blk, I run a DI setup. I haven't noticed a difference in how long each will run. A heavier buffer setup and a can that produces less back pressure seems to run a little cleaner.

Like everyone is saying.... keep it all wet. Makes cleanup much easier, runs longer.

Eagle1899

Dec 9, 2007
not where I would like
My dirty level on my 300blk depends a lot on subs vs super. Bullet and powder combo.... but keeping it wet (Synthetic motor oil cut with a little Hoppes) makes it run reliably.

I use a LWRC short buffer tube with a home built stainless buffer that is close to an H1 buffer. Barrel is a Seekins 8" 1-7 twist with pistol gas tube.

I have a Larue OBR 18" 308 that I run a Rugged Surge on. Carbine buffer tube and custom stainless heavy buffer (8.25 oz and slightly longer) that runs great. Gas block set on suppressed and kept wet it runs great.

Definite learning curve with autos and cans.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
I've only used H110 in mine with a DI bolt and after about 500 rounds there isn't much of anything to clean.

What powders you fellas using?

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Don't have any 1680 here but there's a 8lb jug of Imr 4198 sitting here that for the life of me can't remember what the hell I bought it for.....

Thanks