data-csrf="1711652456,698e29aeccb21298c45ab466c68cfead" Q The Fix | As Real As It Gets

Q The Fix

J-Hon

Administrator
Dec 11, 2007
Northern Ky
So I just got mine in a bit ago and immediately took it on a hog hunting trip in Texas. Didn't see many hogs, but did toss 125 rds through it.

Came with the heavy (.850ish) 6.5 creed barrel. I originally ordered the 16" 308 barrel with intentions of using it as a suppressor host, but there were apparently problems getting the 308 barrels out the door. They are supposed to be sending it to me when they get them finished.

Initial knee-jerk thoughts:

With the heavy barrel this thing balances like shit. With a can on the end it's ridiculous. No mass in the ass to work with, though I do see several places it would be easy to add some lead weights to, if I were so inclined. I think I'm just going to chop up this barrel into a 20" light palma. Speaking of barrels, a new one is $750 and the extensions are currently only going to be given out to ‘approved’ gunsmiths. I think that’s a whole lotta bullshit.

Ergos are pretty good. Stock is adjustable and fairly comfortable. Folder is probably one of the better ones I've used and handy for flying/travelling. Handguard is legit 'fuck your shit up' sharp. I'm not usually on the fit & finish wagon, but seriously.... this is a $3k rifle, what the fuck.

Dunno how I feel about the DPMS mags. I definitely will be running the ASC mags for extra room. Real innovation IMO would have been a DPMS style mag that went 3.15" in a polymer body and cost < $50. Help us Glen Seekins, you're our only hope!

Dunno about the 45 degree bolt. In practice it’s different enough from a normal action to be awkward to use at first. The bolt lift is pretty damn stiff, probably the heaviest of anything I’ve ever owned (though to be fair, most of my rifles are fairly pedestrian 700 clones or similar). I’m also concerned about primary extraction, or the distinct lack thereof. Had a couple sticky cases that required serious whacking on the bolt handle to remove, and these weren’t at all hot loads. (ZERO pressure signs on the sticky cases, even).

Feeding was fine, shot some Prime ammo, 143 ELD-Xs, and 147 ELD-Match bullets @ Pmag mag length.

Extraction and ejection was ok. Had one instance of the extractor jumping over a case (not one of the sticky cases, either). Had a couple instances where rounds wouldn’t eject very well, usually when someone hadn’t gotten the bolt throw down yet.

Did have one FTF, light strike. Hit looked reasonable, and it fired on another go. This was a reload, but primer seating depth looked sane.

Overall, rifle is neat. Looking forward to yarding it apart over the holidays and seeing what it looks like. I bought it with intentions of using it as a suppressor host to hunt with. It’s pretty Gucci, but I think it will work well for that. As it sits I don’t think it makes sense with a heavy barrel, I think the bolt throw is sorta wonky, and doesn’t seem like it’s going to work as a ‘platform’ for tinkering. Mags are limiting, primary extraction is questionable, and the barrel deal is a complete cock block.

Eagle1899

Dec 9, 2007
not where I would like
There is supposedly a modification for the bolt lift.

Calling them is the way to get the ball rolling apparently.

Dave Tooley is doing the factory barrels.

Don't see the mags as much of a problem.

I want to get my hands on one to fuck with it.

J-Hon

Administrator
Dec 11, 2007
Northern Ky
So where are you seeing this bolt lift mod at? There another big thread on these somewhere aside from Facebook/SnipersHide?

I'm in Northern KY, if you are local you are free to take some shots; I'm not stingy.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Had seen the Thread awhile ago and none of it was warm/fuzzy.

I tend to like stuff robust and simplistic............

260madman

Aug 19, 2014
3 grand and almost a year after unveiling you don't sound happy. If it were me I'd be the same.

J-Hon

Administrator
Dec 11, 2007
Northern Ky
Ehh, I wouldn't say I'm not happy. I think it will be pretty cool w/ a 16" 308 barrel or a lighter/shorter 6.5CM barrel. As a handy/ andy suppressor host (if those at all go together) it's better than anything I've used. As a chunk..... I definitely think I'd prefer a Tikka/700 in a chassis.

No point in bullshitting myself though - there's definitely things I wish were better or different. I really do think there's a lot of really killer ideas in there (traditional stock-less receiver design, AR style extension & aluminum construction, tube handguard, adjustable folding stock, etc) that could change things up forever. Some more shooting/development cycles would probably help to get things right.

J-Hon

Administrator
Dec 11, 2007
Northern Ky
Sure

Got the 16" 308 barrel in my hands, which drastically changed handling for the better (balances about an 1/8" in front of the magazine). With a Ti can and 3-15 SS it's a little under 9lbs:

Barrel change was easy/peasy. Pretty slick setup, only needed a T25 torx, a vise + DPMS 308 block, and their barrel nut tool.

Rifle shoots great, no complaints there. It's definitely growing on me, especially w/ the 16" barrel and as a suppressor host. Haven't really had any other issues with firing or extraction that I can recall, but I've actually been burning through a bunch of factory 308 lately until I re-gear back up to load 308.

Things I still am not huge on:

• Bolt throw is better after getting more used to it, but still pretty stiff. Supposedly there is a revision here but I haven't been able to get the new bolt handle yet
  • Still want a light weight 6.5CM barrel. The bare rifle w/ the 308 barrel is really light and handles fantastically. A shorter/light 6.5 barrel would be tits. Talked to Tooley about re-profiling my existing barrel, but he wanted nothing to do with it.
  • Haven't broken it down to try and reduce trigger pull yet, because honestly the bolt (where a lot of the magic happens) kinda scares the fuck out of me. I wish I could reduce the pull weight down to about half or less of it's current weight.

It's a cool rifle. No idea on how to 'quantify' the price, but I don't feel cheated or anything. I'd like a Mini-Fix, but don't have any interest in 224 Valkyrie and suspect barrel availability will be tough.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Shorter barrels of lesser contour,certainly appeal to me,in a Chassis Blueprint.

Have yet to "suffer" a rifle that balanced too well,handled too great or was too short............(grin)

J-Hon

Administrator
Dec 11, 2007
Northern Ky
Yeah you were always pretty on the money there. Everyone has to go through the heavy/long shit to see the light I think, myself included.

A buddy is spinning up a 12" 308 Montana as a dedicated suppressed critter-gitter. Should be an interesting comparison.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The Montucky Foot chambering/twist rate?

LOVE my 18" Montucky 270...which handles like a Foot,wearing a can...............

J-Hon

Administrator
Dec 11, 2007
Northern Ky
He snagged a 308 off GB recently. I think his plan is to just lop the factory barrel off @ 12" and build an integral can that will take him to 16" to avoid NFA paperwork.

Neither of us have really done much w/ Quickload or anything to figure out what bullet makes sense. I keep wondering if a man was going to go that short.... would 338 federal actually make sense? Those 285 ELD's look pretty wild.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
You'll be seating 'em below case mouths(285's),to fit Montucky mag constraints.

A 338 BR would be intellesting................

J-Hon

Administrator
Dec 11, 2007
Northern Ky
Q has been teasing a "8.6 Creedmore" lately. Basically a 338 Creed, that Hornady is going to support it from the factory. They show some really long looking bullets getting loaded into a DPMS mag, but I have no idea if they've done anything to shorten the case.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
JD's first 338 Whisper was on the BR case...so there's some history.

IMHO,it'd be the path of least resistance,as Lapooey BR brass is exceedingly robust and I'd wanna stay .473" boltface there. Also think it'd take little to no mag work on a Montucky,due projectile length,helping funnel things into battery.

Wouldn't aspook me..................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
21" Kreed,is a buncha Ooooomph and a nice place to be.

I can only speak to the BR case on Montucky and S/A 700's...but anything AICS DBM footprint,will certainly feed slicker than snot,with either primal or PVA guts in their bindered mags.................

Eagle1899

Dec 9, 2007
not where I would like
Fix takes a SR-25/PMag... I will play around tonight... I have mags (Pmag and Larue) and BR's in stock..

I really want to like the Fix. Kevin pulls no punches and takes no shit... I would expect the Fix to be the same.

Cuando

Oct 23, 2014
[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/itzMG4HWZYE[/video]

6.8 Creed next?

J.D. Jones would be proud.

Cuando

Oct 23, 2014
Driftin' said:
And you aren't encouraging him at all, are ya....

Be interested in firsthand intel.
Here. Read this thread from start to finish and then tell me what's what.

http://www.asrealasitgets.net/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/206255/1.html

Cuando

Oct 23, 2014
Driftin' said:
Well, shit. That's what I get for gawking guns whilst working.

Start at the effin' start....
I'm still laughing at this.

Thanks man!

Brett

Oct 19, 2013
OK
Cuando said:
Driftin' said:
And you aren't encouraging him at all, are ya....

Be interested in firsthand intel.
Here. Read this thread from start to finish and then tell me what's what.

http://www.asrealasitgets.net/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/206255/1.html
So great.......