data-csrf="1711634318,a50ecc722d4e1838eda614dc12d627fc" Quiet here since '16? | As Real As It Gets

Quiet here since '16?

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
If I guy couldn't live without a crossbow, where would he go for info on how to pick one? I've been interested but the advertising overwhelms the intelligence by a factor of 1000!

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
Been using a crossbow last couple seasons. Lost a couple of my good places to hunt a few years ago and got out of the compound game.

PSE Vendetta XL was my last one. Really miss shooting and hunting with a compound. Trying to find some locally this time of year, especially in a long draw length, is proving to be a challenge.
I sucks loosing places to hunt. But that's just how things go sometimes.

Do you have an archery shop near you in VA? Have you looked at other bow manufacturers? What's your draw length and what draw weight?

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
If I guy couldn't live without a crossbow, where would he go for info on how to pick one? I've been interested but the advertising overwhelms the intelligence by a factor of 1000!
Yes, there's a metric shit ton of them out there....laffin....

I will some this up with one manufacturer "EXCALIBUR".

Here's why:

No bow press needed to replace the string or if you aren't going to shoot it for a while you can un-string it.

Strings are cheap.

Quality is good and with recurve limbs no maintenance is really required.

Good company to deal with.

Take down models are available and can be stowed under a truck seat.

I don't have any connection with the company but can tell you a buddy has used them for years and loves them.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Yep, Excalibur has been great for me. I have a Matrix 380. Those things are built to last, and no tuning issues or anything to worry about.

I have a 32.5” DL, as far as weight I like 70, but I’d like to try 80 and see how it goes.

We have a few shops, but they mostly sell bows and provide the basic setup. No real pro-shops close at all.

A few I’d like to check out:
Matthews Traverse
Bowtech BT-Mag X
Hoyt Double XL
APA Black Mamba 35

Makes buying a new rifle look cheap!

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Yep, Excalibur has been great for me. I have a Matrix 380. Those things are built to last, and no tuning issues or anything to worry about.

I have a 32.5” DL, as far as weight I like 70, but I’d like to try 80 and see how it goes.

We have a few shops, but they mostly sell bows and provide the basic setup. No real pro-shops close at all.

A few I’d like to check out:
Matthews Traverse
Bowtech BT-Mag X
Hoyt Double XL
APA Black Mamba 35

Makes buying a new rifle look cheap!
10-4 on the Matrix. Those be lots of goodness in a smaller package without any messn around.

Mathews - They make good stuff. I just sold a Halon 32. No real complaints except for me personally I had to change my grip to shot it. My mitts are big and Mathews risers aren't the most favorable for that. You would have no issues with DL on the Traverse. Mathews DL's run (approx 1/2") long.

Bowtech - Never give them a thought anymore. I've had issues with them in the past with their limbs delaminating. One year I had 2 sets of limbs replaced. Which I was forced to buy another bow that I didn't want so I can hunt the rut due to waiting on replacement limbs. I've not personally had a Bowtech blowup on me but their nickname is "Explode-tech". Maybe today things could be better, but I'm not dumping $1K on a potential problem.

Hoyt - I'm partial to them. (I just bought the new RX4 Ultra carbon) I like their grip and durability. Only bow manufacturer that dry fire tests shit. Your DL is definitely not a problem with the Double XL but there's not an #80 option. But with the tweaking you can get to #74. Speed shouldn't be a problem either but I'd run a heavy arrow with good FOC or EFOC and a 2 blade fixed head that would smash through about anything.

APA - I ALWAYS wanted to shoot one of those things. They look unique kinda different like an Oneida but not that extreme. You can do some tuning without a bow press and can change the string without a press as well.

You are 100% correct that a complete new bow setup can cost more than a rifle.

I hope this helps.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Thanks! That helps a lot.

Ive found a couple Traverses that I plan on shooting in the next week. Hoping the string angle won’t be too bad, I know the last time I shopped around I really preferred the 35”+ bows.

Matthews had a bow 7-8 years ago in 32” DL, Z9 I think...I really wanted one, but when I finally shot one the peep seemed 2 feet from my eye. I’m thinking they were 30” though.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Thanks! That helps a lot.

Ive found a couple Traverses that I plan on shooting in the next week. Hoping the string angle won’t be too bad, I know the last time I shopped around I really preferred the 35”+ bows.

Matthews had a bow 7-8 years ago in 32” DL, Z9 I think...I really wanted one, but when I finally shot one the peep seemed 2 feet from my eye. I’m thinking they were 30” though.
Your welcome.

The Traverse is 33" axle to axle. I was ok with a 32" ATA with a 31.5" (measured) draw length. So you could be on the bubble with your draw length. Just remember to try the 32" DL before the 32.5" cuz they run long. With the large Cams on the Mathews it helps with string angle. There is hope that next year Mathews offers a longer axle to axle than the 33" Traverse. But with this Covid bullshit going on who knows if they'd continued R'n'D.

Yeah....that Z9 was a turd. Very slow and the string angle sucked hind tit hard.

Also if you like less let off Mathews offers 75% mods rather than the 85% that come standard. I personally dig less let-off but you do loose a little bit of the valley at the end of the draw cycle. Its not "jump outta your hand" jumpy or a hump'n dump either.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
What rest and sights are you using?

I liked my VT pro v, had spot Hogg sights but can’t remember the model.

I’m sure there’s a lot better out there now.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Hmmm......Im trying a new Hamskea Hrbrid Hunter Pro setup as a limb driven rest off the lower limb. The verdict is still out on that one yet. (I'm recouping from shoulder surgery right now so a few more weeks).

If you like simplicity and durability with a limbdriven rest the Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro is a good one. I've used it without any problems.

Yep, the Vapor Trail Limb Drivers are another good one.

If you want a cable driven then I'd definitely rock the QAD Ultra HDX. But you gotta periodically check the timing so it falls correctly.

There are others as well but those are the ones I've had most experience with, oh the Ripcord was another good one.

I'm currently running a CBE Tek Hybrid Pro with a dovetail. I made it a 4 pin. 2 .019" and 2 .010" pins. It has 4 fixed pins and it also slides to 100yds. They discontinued that model and brought out the Engage series.

Spot Hogg makes great stuff too. As does so many others. You just gotta decide what you want as far as moving pins vs static pins.

I chose to have 4 pins within the housing. So say 20-30-40-50. My peep is now set perfect with the pin housing and my anchor. If I choose to shoot a 100yds I only move my sight housing half the distance to get to 100yds. If you use a slider and 1 pin you "should" set your peep up to shoot at the distance you shoot the most (20-30yds?). So.....if you do shoot at say 80 yds your anchor mixed in with your peep and sight housing alignment will not be perfect. Its awkward. I just thought it was worth mentioning. I don't plan on shooting animals at 100yds. I like to practice at longer distances and if I gotta fling an arrow for a follow up shot I'm good to go.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Good info, I appreciate it. Gives me some reading/researching to do.
Im trying to decide if it’s worth the risk of buying used. Appears to be pretty easy to save 3-400 on a year old bow.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
There is nothing wrong with buying used, IF the guy you're buying from took care of his shit.

Plus, new bows come out in November, maybe then there will be something that you may like more better....

Witt

Dec 30, 2009
NE
Knocking the literal dust offa the Z7. The bug bit me again, I've been out of archery a few years.

Witt

Dec 30, 2009
NE
My 70lb limbs are maxed out and the scale reads 62lbs. My peep is also twisted & there is some fraying. So anyways, rather than worry about tweaking it back into spec just yet I got a new string set I'll put on next weekend hopefully. I don't even remember it being an option before but I see a lot of silicone-bearing string waxes now so I ordered some. I like how it's a bit softer than the old stuff. I gave my arrow rest to a friend (who is new to archery & gave the archery bug back to me) and set up a ripcord I had in the package from long ago. Screwed together a draw board to help with tweaking.. I'm going to have some fun with it for awhile.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Blake, keep an eye on the string loops on the cam posts if you got the original string/cable set. Been seeing shit unravel there. Mathews don't serve the end loops and there may be a burr on the post.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Cool......the OEM Mathews string material isn't shit. It's how they are put together is what puts the stink on them. I changed the works on my Halon32-6 I had. Zero peep rotation and gained fps.

It's a shame that today's bow makers do that.

Witt

Dec 30, 2009
NE
The Z7 is shooting just fine now with fresh vapor trails. Saw a handy trick on archerytalk.. vinyl automotive wrap as arrow wraps. I fletched about 20 arrows with wraps I cut outta this stuff and they've been working great. Just need a few seconds with a heat gun to help them conform and stick, and the cost is great at around a nickel per.
I got a 1' x 5' option for $10. Looks like that small option isn't on there right now but there's plenty of automotive wrap to choose from out there..

Drew

Feb 23, 2011
Anyone dialing in for this season? Built new arrows, new strings on the bow, tuned and I'm currently dialing in my new slider sight.

Drew

Feb 23, 2011
Good info, I appreciate it. Gives me some reading/researching to do.
Im trying to decide if it’s worth the risk of buying used. Appears to be pretty easy to save 3-400 on a year old bow.
You can really score on used gear. Just double and triple check pictures. Some assholes try to pawn their busted shit off on you. Archery Talk forum is a berry patch for good stuff cheap.

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
Anyone dialing in for this season? Built new arrows, new strings on the bow, tuned and I'm currently dialing in my new slider sight.
Working on it. I've been shooting off and on most of the summer and have just started again after a few week break. We put up one of those "redneck" blinds on the property last week so that really gave me incentive to get after it. Bummer is that due to work I usually don't get to bow hunt until our rifle season rolls around--in November.

Witt

Dec 30, 2009
NE
Did some more archery tinkering.. screwed together a string building jig & made a few string/cable sets. My strings have a bit of peep rotation but the rotation has at least been consistent, maintaining alignment repeatedly at full draw. I reckon the 90+" solocam strings I've made are too long to hide anything short of perfect layout and serving.
163515.jpg

Reactions: Prowler and Rogue

firedog

Nov 21, 2007
SW Washington
Did a lot of dialing in this year, having finally bought a press it made a huge difference getting things on my bow and sons really good.

mine is a RealmX pulling about 73lbs and 29.5” draw. shooting a heavy arrow at about 550gr.

Reactions: Prowler

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
My entire setup was new this year except my carbon stabilizer...

Hoyt RX4 Ultra, Axcel plus carbon pro slider sight, Hamskea Hrbrid Hunter Pro rest and Grizzly
Stik arrows with Cutthroat single bevel broadheads.

Tag soup in Kentucky but snagged a smedium 9pt here in PA in a one evening sit.

6.5 yd shot and a 33yd recovery.
20201123_101415.jpg
20201123_101458.jpg

Last edited:

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
Nice buck!

6.5 yd shot, did you get any on ya......😂

I picked up a new to me bow this year but haven’t scored with it yet.

Pullit listed a Bowtech Reign 7 over on 24hcf and I was too weak to resist. Got damn it’s a nice bow, quick and quiet.

I generally don’t hunt the late archery season here but with it being as warm as it’s been I may this year.

Last edited:

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
6.5 yd shot, did you get any on ya......😂

I picked up a new to me bow this year but haven’t scored with it yet.

Pullit listed a Bowtech Reign 7 over on 24hcf and I was too weak to resist. Got damn it’s a nice bow, quick and quiet.

I generally don’t hunt the late archery season here but with it being as warm as it’s been I may this year.

Thanks....

Laffin.....Na, was playn Tarzan up ina tree but did paint the leaves red real nice.

One of the best shooting bows I had was a Bowtech. It's downfall was the limbs. Splintered twice on me so I tripped it. Hope they got their shit together so you don't have the same problems.

Weather seems mild in the NE. I'd be out play'n aswell. I might get a Ohio tag but I'm undecided as of right now.

Last edited:

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
That's a dandy. Congrats!

The bow thing bit me pretty hard this year. It had been 10 years since I shot a deer with a bow and I am already excited about next year!

MyCreditDom

Jul 22, 2021
  • Deleted by Painless
Show…

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
Nope. Didn't get to hunt much in archery season.

Restrung the bow and starting shooting a few times a week now. Tourneys start in Feb, so that'll be fun next year.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Nope. Didn't get to hunt much in archery season.

Restrung the bow and starting shooting a few times a week now. Tourneys start in Feb, so that'll be fun next year.
Yes, the same here as far as hunting PA.

I did go to Wyoming for Elk. Was hot and all 3 of us came home empty handed. To make things simple and straight to the point, fuck guides as well as horses.

I never seen an Elk. Shoulda stopped at a zoo on the way home to atleast say I seen one.

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
Anything get kilt with a stick and string this year?
Wife shot her first deer with a bow. Small spike buck. It was fun to be there with her. She will be pretty wild about the archery thing from here on out.

I sat for 125+ hours and threw in the towel with below zero temps becoming more regular around here. I ended up killing a doe last weekend after passing on some bucks that I probably should have shot back in November. I'm glad to be done and to have three in the freezer.

Apr 3, 2010
Sounds like a good season Dakota. Lot of stand time probably saw all kinds of stuff. I saw some bucks that a while back I would have been happy to shoot. Decided to let them all walk to see what next season holds. Hoping they survive till end of Dec.

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Wife shot her first deer with a bow. Small spike buck. It was fun to be there with her. She will be pretty wild about the archery thing from here on out.

I sat for 125+ hours and threw in the towel with below zero temps becoming more regular around here. I ended up killing a doe last weekend after passing on some bucks that I probably should have shot back in November. I'm glad to be done and to have three in the freezer.
Congrats to her......

Sitting and waiting does suck cuz it's boring at times. When I get to do it, I like the break from work and gives me time to relax and most of all be away from people.

Reactions: 30338