data-csrf="1711621873,3ef3e73459ec95642f9f18051910cc66" Quiet here since '16? | As Real As It Gets

Quiet here since '16?

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
Sounds like a good season Dakota. Lot of stand time probably saw all kinds of stuff. I saw some bucks that a while back I would have been happy to shoot. Decided to let them all walk to see what next season holds. Hoping they survive till end of Dec.
I've been guilty of letting bucks walk in hopes of seeing them grow for another year. But.....around my parts some dickhead will poach it, get hit by a car or get gutshot by some clown that thinks he's shoots better than he really does. So, lately if I like the animal I just take it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 30338

Prowler

Nov 17, 2007
Surrounded by Idiots in SW,PA
I finally have some guys around the property that I hunt that understand what it takes to grow mature deer. I watched several this year that I hope make it to next year for the boy to poke a hole in.
I really hope that approach works and works well for you. I gave that a shot for over 10 years. If everyone is on board it works. Common sense tells all of us that bigger deer are mature deer. Although age plays a part, genetics fills the other important part.

Here in PA they started antler restrictions probably around 2000. So in the areas I hunt it was 4 pts to one antler. Now it's 3-up, omit the brow tine. So when I'd let a buck walk it was sub 130". Well others didn't follow that so I said screw it.

Although when I bow hunt I tend to shop a little depending on my time away from work. As I said previously, if I like the buck he's gonna take a dirt nap regardless of numbers or rack size.....

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
What rest, sight, and release are you guys using?

Hamskea Trinity, BG Mountain Lite 3 pin (.019), & Carter 1st Choice on my EVO 33.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
I'm on my 3rd QAD on my Mathews. If this one breaks, i'm throwing it in the trash and going Hamskea or Vapor Trail.

Wanting to find a Stan Perfex somewhere to see if it fits my hand.

MBG Ascent Verdict Assault (I think) has been fine. Long ways for the SH Bulletproofs i used to use.

Reactions: dakotagun

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
Thanks for the info. Either the UV hinge or Carter Evo 20 will be what I try next.

I don't feel like I have issues punching the trigger. My brain just doesn't work that way. Maybe my time behind rifles has helped that. ?

I do feel like I start to aim hard when I'm out of practice. Just another version of target panic, I suppose. I think I'd benefit from practicing with a surprise release that is similar to the thumb trigger.

JamesFrido

Mar 30, 2022
  • Deleted by Painless
Show…

rconsyug

Dec 1, 2022
  • Deleted by cwh
Show…

GeraldBoild

Apr 17, 2023
  • Deleted by cwh
Show…