data-csrf="1711690774,ebac5c9f0427ee1712a260a9e372e880" rebedding procedures | As Real As It Gets

rebedding procedures

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
First off, I should state that I hate doing bedding jobs. I don't do it enough to have it down, so I'm always nervous. I have a couple of stocks that I bought used that need rebedded. I don't know what material was used for the initial job on either one. My thought is to grind enough out to ensure a good skim and rebed. Do I need to worry about material compatability? Can I get away with not removing all of the old material? I don't have a mill, so I guess I'll be free handing a dremel, unless anyone has a better suggestion.

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
You won't have an issue with incompatibility. However, you want your bedding thick enough that it's not going to crack or chip. I like MarineTex myself but it's picky on it's mix ratio unlike others. Proper prep goes a long way in good bedding job.

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Release compound possibly left on the existing bedding surface is your biggest concern. Whatever it is, you have to get it off or the new stuff won't stick. If they used any kind of silicone, it really has to be mechanically removed. Solvents won't get it all; sanding/grinding/Dremelling will.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
I clean well with 91+% IPA, then grind out/rough up with dremmel with auger bit.
Then clean again with IPA. Then masking tape, putty, and paste wax for release.

I use pins for the action screws to hold things in alignment and fix the action in place with surgical tubing or tape or clamps, ect… depends what I’m doing.

I clean up the squeeze out with q-tips and IPA before it cures.

I’d expect the current bedding to be epoxy based so shouldn’t be an issue. Maybe color differences though.

Reactions: Painless

wolfman

Mar 25, 2009
NB, Canuckistan
thanks boys. I'm up to my eyeballs in bear clients until the end of june. Then it will be time to try and get through a bunch of my neglected projects.