data-csrf="1711616051,e56cd70eee6eb895b29cc25e216bc03f" Resurrecting a classic | As Real As It Gets

Resurrecting a classic

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
This project is a pre '64 Model 70 that had been nicely rebarrelled in 270W. The stock is a light weight unit that had been nicely pillar bedded by someone. After getting everything together and shooting the gun (it shoots well), the owner decided to have the stock Cerracoated in a nice camo pattern. So far, so good.

After the coating was done, the fun began. :( During the curing/baking process of the coating, the entire stock structure moved around to the point that the barrelled action would not physically go back into the stock. I'll spare all the gorey details but it ended up here to see if something could be done.

Here's some pics of how it came in the door. Remember...this gun was all together and shooting nicely before the coating.

Warped and skewed. Both pillars were also tipped and out of square. Floor plate fit gives some idea of the movement as it wouldn't come close to closing:

Last edited:

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Established action screw c-c and the center line and milled the old pillars out. Some pics of the clean up work on the mill to get everything back in some sort of straightness:

New pillars in prior to milling out the old bedding:

Floating in the Pro Bed:

This little receiver jack brings the barrelled action straight up out of the bedding:

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Somehow, everything fits:

Made a pillar for the center action screw to get of that nastiness:

After more time on it than I'd care to admit, it's all back together and ready to go huntin' again. With all the new-school trick stuff out there, it's sometimes nice to go back to basics with a classic rig like this.

Good shootin' :) -Al

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
I should have mentioned that it's a quality, light weight composite stock from a good maker.

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Ai, I know you have repeatedly answered but do you have a source for the bushings you use to center the action screws in the pillars?
Thanks
I used to make them.....but I go through them like a fat kid at a dessert bar. :oops: Now, I get them from my local Ace Hardware, Amazon or ebay in bags of 20. They are 5/16" O.D. and 1/4" I.D. with a flange on them. Make the pillar I.D. 5/16", glue them into the pillars from below with some gel Super Glue, put a couple of long length guide screws in the action holes and you're good to go. When the bedding is cured and the sleeves and pins removed, you'll have .031 clearance all around the action screws.

Hope this helps. -Al

pavementends

Dec 9, 2007
Mississippi
I used to make them.....but I go through them like a fat kid at a dessert bar. :oops: Now, I get them from my local Ace Hardware, Amazon or ebay in bags of 20. They are 5/16" O.D. and 1/4" I.D. with a flange on them. Make the pillar I.D. 5/16", glue them into the pillars from below with some gel Super Glue, put a couple of long length guide screws in the action holes and you're good to go. When the bedding is cured and the sleeves and pins removed, you'll have .031 clearance all around the action screws.

Hope this helps. -Al

Thanks Al, they defiantly look like a better way to go.