data-csrf="1711636159,8579035139770c2eef102f657066c70a" Rough RAR 17HMR Chamber Issues | As Real As It Gets

Rough RAR 17HMR Chamber Issues

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Yesterday, I took several of my 17's to the range. I had recently acquired a few and moved scopes on a few others, so it seemed like it only made sense to shoot them all the same day.

I started out with my Predator model Ruger, topped with a SWFA 10X SS. This is a great handling little rifle / scope combo and I just knew it would be a shooter. While the groups were good, I'm sure they could be better. My problem came from nearly every other shell sticking in the chamber after the shot. At first, I thought maybe it was an issue with the ammo. I tried CCI TNT and Hornady VMax with the same result, 6 - 7 shells stuck in the chamber out of 10 shots fired.

Next, I shot my new Cooper 57M topped with a Leupold fixed 12. Using the same ammo, out of the same boxes, I had no extraction issues. As a side note, the Cooper is a Hammer! The Cooper loves the Vmax.

Next up was my Anschutz 1517 topped with a Nikon Prostaff. Once again, I shot ammo out of the same boxes that I used with the Ruger and had zero extraction issues. The Annie loves the TNT.

Batting clean up was my Volquartsen Classic topped with an older Nikon Tactical. Again, there were no extraction issues with the ammo. I was a little concerned with shooting that ammo in this rifle since there have been some reports of Out of Battery issues, but it ran like a champ.

Is the issue with the Ruger worth contacting Ruger about or should I try to clean up the chamber myself? Most of the rounds that were stuck were easily removed with my knife, but it certainly makes for a pain and I'm sure it had an effect on my groups.

One other thing that I figured out, the old Leupold will have a new home before long. Another 10X MQ will be on the way today, or maybe 3... The MQ really is like cheating.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Are you sure it's the chamber and not the extractor proper? I'd color some live ammo,gun 'em and look for chamber anomalies etched in that ink.

Odds are,the extractor groove has some shit in it,so the extractor hook isn't riding as deep as it should...or the hook needs a little bit of needle file work to arrange a better bite.

I'd not poke anything in the mail and would simply have it whooped in a coupla minutes................

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
That's great advice and something I had not thought about. I'll dink with it when I get home and find out. I also thought about swapping out bolts from my 22 Magnum to see how it does.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
While it is "possible" that there is a chambering woe,it's 99.9999% the extractor and it's mechanics.

No big deal................

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
Been thinking about this and can't wait to get home and see what's up. The only thing that throws me is when it could get the round out, it sent them about 6 ft away from the bench...