data-csrf="1711630447,8d70367402eaa2e7824d3b324f457e45" Ruger 22/45 | As Real As It Gets

Ruger 22/45

J-Hon

Administrator
Dec 11, 2007
Northern Ky
I like mine, it's my go-to pistol for a suppressor host and frog gig setup:

(Yes I know that picture makes me look like a tactical weirdo, but it's a killer night time setup)

I've been meaning to get one of those speed-strip kits that come with the bushing to do away with all the safety and magazine brake nonsense. I've heard they make take-down a breeze, and do a whole helluva lot to clean up the trigger.

hangunnr

Administrator
Dec 12, 2007
Flatlandia
I've one of the "Lite" versions. It'll be used as a suppressor host in the future.

My only bitch would be the trigger. While I was able to clean mine up, it was a major pain in the ass.

J-Hon

Administrator
Dec 11, 2007
Northern Ky
Here's that kit I was talking about from Midway (I've seen it under $50 elsewhere):

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/243182/majestic-arms-32-speed-strip-kit-ruger-mark-i-ii-iii-22-45

Supposedly a huge bang for your buck with these guns.

JCM

Jan 8, 2013
I need to get one of those quick take down kits. I don't clean mine unless it just won't function.

The 22/45 is THE handgun that everyone loves to shoot. Anytime someone who's never shot handguns wants to shoot I break out an array and let them try everything. EVERYONE comes back and wants to shoot the 22/45 more.

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
First handgun I ever owned... old man wasn't a big fan of pistols, and of course I bought one as soon as I was out of the house.

Fun guns, and probably shoot better groups than I can. $290 seems a bit steep, but I haven't priced one in 10 years :) For an all-rounder, I prefer the SS MkII. The 22/45 is great to shoot, but for something you pack around in a holster, it has more potential to throw a magazine.

Wader

Feb 11, 2008
SW Washington
Jamie said:
I like mine, took first place in last night match.
Oh shut up! (Thanks to him, I ended up 2nd in that match! :). Come to think of it, Jamie won the centerfire match too--also relegating me to 2nd. :( ).

I've shot Jamie's gun a fair bit and I like it. As a regular 1911 shooter, the grip and angle are very familiar. The rest is just typical Ruger feed/function/accuracy. I shoot a MK II Comp Target Model and don't like it any more than a 22/45. I just like MK II's over the III's.

Wader

Feb 11, 2008
SW Washington
mkoeh475,

One other thought: Depending on which model your buddy has for sale, it might not be an incredible deal. Check out Gunbroker to see what a particular model is selling for. (Gunbroker 22/45 models for sale)

If it's an average deal but you prefer a different barrel, or color, or whatever, you might want to hold off.

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
Everyone ought to have at least one, my fave is the 5 1/2" ss bull barrel, perfect balance and very accurate.

I've put many a callus on my thumb trying to keep mags loaded for the kids.

mkoeh475

Dec 24, 2007
Wisconcsin
Thanks for the input guys. It's at my grandpa's house right now and I'm hoping to see which model it is next weekend. I know it's not a screaming deal but it's an itch I've had for a while and I like no paperwork.

athhud

Oct 21, 2008
AL
22/45 is about as much fun as you can ask for in a handgun. I've got the Hunter model (long fluted stainless steel barrel) and I would go homeless before I sold it. The only thing I didn't like about it was the trigger. It had to travel forward a long way before the sear would reset. That made it very difficult to shoot it fast. A Volquartsen trigger kit solved that issue. I also installed a Mark 2 hammer bushing which allowed me to remove the magazine disconnect. I don't normally fire it without a magazine, but I can't think of a single reason that it shouldn't be an option.

Shooting clays on a 100yd berm with a suppressed .22 pistol is about as much fun as it gets. One day I hope I shoot well enough to appreciate the accuracy of the 22/45! Until then I'll settle for sub-moa at 25 yards.

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
Have an oooold SS Mk II Target. Had Ron Kesselring put a Clark trigger in it at his recommendation. It was a huge improvement. Many blue grouse have seen the light too.....