data-csrf="1713558181,423356d2eb27f9a160a06e83f0c1a67d" Scholastic Action Shooting...22LR Handgun | As Real As It Gets

Scholastic Action Shooting...22LR Handgun

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
The oldest is interested in joining the local scholastic shooting team...they seem to be a well run outfit and they do quite well in various competitions. I know nothing about what they do, but it appears to be a lot of speed shooting of steel targets with 22LR and later, centerfire handguns.

I've not interrogated them yet on their list of candidate 22LR handguns, but wanted to ask the good folks here if you have any experience of this sort.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Sounds like a Ruger Self Shucker Clinic and for GOOD reason(s).

Nice to hear.

We had to wait until Junior High to shoot a FWB 300S in Class.................

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
A family friend's kid has done quite well at it over the years, and I've seen photos of him with what looks like a 22/45. Good candidate? Lite? Sounds like something that could serve some other purposes also.

Vek

Nov 3, 2009
They cart them (middle and high schoolers) all over the country and compete against university teams, and tend to win. Something about that tipped me off that there may be some good instruction to be had.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
A family friend's kid has done quite well at it over the years, and I've seen photos of him with what looks like a 22/45. Good candidate? Lite? Sounds like something that could serve some other purposes also.

As mass goes,the 22/45 LITE steals the show,in regards to reliability,accuracy and precision. TandemKross and/or VQ guts shape the trigger pull nicely and it's easy to do good things.

Ruger wins on RELIABILITY alone.....................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
My preference is the original takedown,rather than pivot on front of frame. Mainly because I'm steeped in MK I's,II's and III's,so know them WELL.

I'd opine a MKIII wearing grip panels,rather than suffering the moulded frame's polymer static ergo's. 1911 scales obviously abound and run the gamut,so sizing mitts is a breeze. Ergo's are HUGE and if shit don't fit,it gets tough to hit.

You gotta be able to control the sight picture and reach mechanics(bolt release/safety/trigger/etc.).

I like a TK Flat Trigger,overtravel and re-set adjustment capabilities,mag safety defeat and can manipulate OEM mage release and safety actuations. All of which is subjective.

The premise has looonnnggggggggg been a mainstay..........................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Should add,that while the TK flat trigger is my ergo preference...that VQ does Ruger MKI,II,III,4 fire control systems VERY right.

Stay MKI,II and III,so by default choices abound. The TK Flatty,mated to VQ guts,is tough to whoop,as per my mitts.

While I've got tons of fancy shit,NOTHING is as reliable as Ruger. Stay OEM mags and all is good..........................

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
That dinky cir-clip on the mk1 trigger pins are a biotch to R&R when swappin' blades. Love the old mk2 targets in stainless with period Clark trigger. Put lots of grouse in the pot. Hogue makes a dandy handle for gripitude. Tear down on 2's takes a time or two to get the hang of it. Haven't ran a 22/45 but like the offering. Don't be afeared of polishing the internals and feed ramp to turn the trigger's gravel road into fresh asphalt. Fun stuff....

Last edited:

TWR

Feb 27, 2009
Oklahoma
Sounds like it might be Steel Challenge type matches.
I’ve had a Buckmark and the older Ruger MK II and a few others in SC matches and the Ruger 22/45 MK IV lite with TK mods was my favorite.
I did the TK blast shield, mag plates, their SS pro comp, straight trigger and Hogue wraparound grips with a red dot on top and everything lined up enough to win matches.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
You can go crazy...but the trigger is the first/last fix.

I was on fire today and hadn't shot it in 2wks..............(grin)