data-csrf="1711656730,1b35efd9e2c26104b45cb6d43811b89c" Scope for 416 | As Real As It Gets

Scope for 416

pavementends

Dec 9, 2007
Mississippi
Helping a friend. He has a CZ 416 that he loves. His Leupold Varo X III 1.5 x 5 has failed for the second time. The first time he sent it back to Leupold and they "rebuilt" it. This time he called and explained the issue (will not hold zero) the tech said it was probably his mounts Alaska Arms QD rings. My friend actually shoots and has over 500 rounds through the rifle. Killed hogs, deer, Cape Buffalo steel at 230 yds and 315 yds. Any experience with these mounts? Suggestions for a scope? I have loaned him a straight 3x which has always worked on my .375 and .458 He loves the rifle (European stock) but no longer trusts the scope.
Kind regards
pavementends

SnowshoeWalker

Oct 1, 2018
Alaska
I've had solid luck with Trijicon Accupoint low power scopes on .416's. I put a NF NX8 1-8 on a 458 Lott and it's going strong. My Lotts are using the AK Arms QD mounts and I've never seen them budge.

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
In the vicinity of dandihood
Buddy has a Kahles K16i on a CZ .375 H&H w/ SM-1 reticle. There is a minor issue with that scope on that rifle. You can't quite get it all the way down to 1X. There's a "wing/fin" on the power ring that acts like a power-throw lever. @ 1X it hits the bolt handle.

His gets an exclusive diet of 300gn A-Frames and has been to Africa at least 3X with zero drama from the luggage monkeys. IIRC, his is mounted in steel Talley screw-lock rings on the factory dovetail. I know he looked @ the AA QD's as well but I don't believe he ever pulled the trigger. I'd estimate he's between 250-300 rounds through that scope/rifle combo.

pavementends

Dec 9, 2007
Mississippi
Thanks for the replies, Leupold sent a return authorization and are either going to fix or replace the scope. Friend is trying a Leupold straight 2.5x as he as lost faith in the variable after several failures to maintain zero.