data-csrf="1711655340,91f963b571a2c5d699e295891d064b0f" Scope for Montana 7 WSM | As Real As It Gets

Scope for Montana 7 WSM

ktnlocksmith

Apr 30, 2019
Wanting more than 6x on a Montucky 7
Wizzum. Looking at a samplelist SWFA 3-9 and a cameraland Bushy 3-12 LRTS.

Thoughts?

snowchaser

Jul 27, 2010
vermont
Mine wears a Bushy 3-12 LRSTI at the moment and I like it, I have SWFA 3-9 on the way , not sure what it's going on yet. I have a 3-15 SWFA on a fieldcraft and that tracks absolutely perfect.

Lineman

Dec 31, 2010
VA
For me, the camera land price makes it a tough choice.

Normal price is a different story.

I have more time with the 3-9, and have that scope on more rifles than anything.

The LRHS/TS is a step above in low light. Tracking/RTZ seems equal. Adjustable parallax doesn’t matter to me on my hunting rifles.

Either blows away the fixed power SS line. My eyes don’t like them at all in low light or ‘grey’ light. I’ve replaced most of them on my rifles.

For me, I’d pay $250 more for a Bushnell over the 3-9, but there’s no way I’d give close to 1k for them. Either should be able to handle anything I’d ever need a hunting rifle to do though.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The LRTSi 12 X is nice and I'll take Gen 3 over Gen 2 reticles.

Been low overcast light all morning and the 6x is more than unfair...which is how I like to roll. Wind is plum Sporty!...............

raghornjp

May 4, 2010
A whole nuther country
My Variables are always set at 6X anyhow...so they think they are Fixed Fuckers too...............
I do that also and that’s why I like the 3x9
When set on 6x it’s reticle seems just a little heavier and easier to see in poor light
But, I almost always dial to 9 when given the time and any distance is involved

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Snowing/BLOWING at your house? Good one here.

i've never had a 6x MQ let me down and I can REALLY hold that reticle hard. The 3-9's ain't even luke warm to me..............

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
Snowing/BLOWING at your house? Good one here.

i've never had a 6x MQ let me down and I can REALLY hold that reticle hard. The 3-9's ain't even luke warm to me..............
I'm not convinced of the 3-9's either. I haven't had any issues, but really don't know if they're worth the cost when I can 6 and 10x and have complete confidence for half the price. In fact, I've got another build or two on my mind and one each 6x and 10x are atop the list for glass. I guess that's a good thing for my wallet...

Last edited:

ktnlocksmith

Apr 30, 2019
I do like the 6x. It flat out works and I dig it down low, but on the mountain I have wanted more Xs. A slightly lower profile doesn’t hurt my feelings either. The mq reticle is more appealing to me, but I’ve also been tripping over the idea of illumination for another $100. Pretty soon lingering is going to bite me in the ass again...

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'm not convinced of the 3-9's either. I haven't had any issues, but really don't know if they're worth the cost when I can 6 and 10x and have complete confidence for half the price. In fact, I've got another build or two on my mind and one each 6x and 10x are atop the list for glass. I guess that's a good thing for my wallet...

The increase in erector travel and added parallax,really slams the door for me.

I've seen increased X's hurt Production,a LOT more than they "help" and Im still never not wanting all the feedback I can get,due both trace and impact.

Tough to beat the 10X as a Giggle Glass and the 6x as a Killing Glass.................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I do like the 6x. It flat out works and I dig it down low, but on the mountain I have wanted more Xs. A slightly lower profile doesn’t hurt my feelings either. The mq reticle is more appealing to me, but I’ve also been tripping over the idea of illumination for another $100. Pretty soon lingering is going to bite me in the ass again...

It really don't take many X's,to place a reticle reliably on a victim needing a tag.

Often interesting to grab a couple guys and more than a few rifles and take a spin,to see what actually do what. Especially so,when like chamberings,like bullets and like speeds are represented and different X's are incorporated. Done it/seen it a bajillion times and tunes change,but the X's are largely moot in the equations and it's entertaining,when folks come to those realizations.

Now if a guy is trying to clean a 1/4" KYL Rack at the 200yd line,against a challenging background,you're gonna want/need the ability to resolve same. Most Critters are greater than 1/8 MOA however.(grin)

There's some nice illumination now and in yesterday's weather and what thus far appears to be Today's weather conditions,such things can't hurt the equation. I REALLY love Illuminatti illumination,as it's finite when wanted and easily controlled and the extry battery compartment is magnificent. I'd rather that and it's 4x MQ on a Utility Rifle,than a 10x MQ.

Main thing is,I simply get to shoot a bunch and in differing conditions,so I can largely make a bullet do what I want,whenever I want and especially upon Critters. Chasing a skillset,in absolute horrid conditions on purpose as practice,is gonna reduce connect percentages for Play,but upsize same for Critters,because you know well in advance,what can be done with a given platform,in given atmospherics...which just might be THE reason to practice.(grin) Same goes chasing DOPE,on the otherside of a Transonic Slip,as stability goes out the window. The more you can KNOW,the more GUESSING sets on the shelf,only to be retrieved for Giggles or R&D.

Most folks are wayyyyyyyyyy underboolited,wayyyyyyyyyy over X'd and wayyyyyyyyyy under of amassing the Trigger Time,to realize things which are so glaringly obvious. It's easy to watch and know in the flesh,who's done their homework or not and in all facets. How to set up a shot,how to read wind,how to arrange POA/POI,the very basics are unwavering in their feedback and Score Card.

I get to see it all and THE best part is,everyone honestly "thinks" they've got it going on......................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Perspective,in retrospect and talkin' yesterday.

The difference in platforms,eating up the 5 Mils of visible MQ windshield,as per the atmospherics of the day...which prolly weren't favorable.(grin)

300 FWB and 8.4gr Exacts at 685fps = 15yds
HWK97 and 16gr Exacts at 635fps = 20yds
Heavy Vudoo and 40gr Camp Run at 1123fps = 75yds
224 Speedmire and 88's at 3200fps = 640yds
300 Whizzum and 208's(with fucking '19 at 2800fps = 640yds...guess which is more fun to shoot?!?(grin)
7-08 and 180 at 2600fps = 720yds

The lineal angular seems to really fuck with heads.................

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
In the vicinity of dandihood
Maybe not popular here, but, those open box 3-10x42 Nightforce SHV's for $699 w/Forceplex reticle are a solid scope. Wish I'd been able to nab a few more before they discontinued the IHR reticle but the Forceplex isn't a bad choice at all.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Just hard to go backwards to SFP and NightFarce REALLY struggles with reticles.

The LRTS 3-12x,simply has much better features,for less jingle...if one is chasing Variables..............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Just soooooooo fucked up,in sooooooooo many ways..................

Just hard to go backwards to SFP and NightFarce REALLY struggles with reticles.

The LRTS 3-12x,simply has much better features,for less jingle...if one is chasing Variables..............

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'm tempted to buy a Tactacam,just to see WTF...but would like to see one first.

Can see where it would be fun and connect dots handily...............

Horse1

Dec 31, 2007
In the vicinity of dandihood
I have 1 MOAR NXS 2.5-10x42. It’s busy and even @ 10 from a solid rest it can be time consuming to “find your spot”.

I much prefer the IHR W/reference pints @ 3/6MOA for Windage.

the Forceplex w/2.5MOA duplex subtension is fast and useable. Back the power ring off to 5x and the duplex references become 5MOA wish is still useable .

I dial elevation independent of reticle.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
A static constant shore is nice for Movers,Wind,Breath Holders and the like...no matter the magnification. As is Beaver Dope corrections.

Typical scenario to employ all on a given outing,then there's The Herd Factor and the ease of applying Ocular DOPE,to the reticle,whether the erector has been corrected or not.

You are granted copious moves in ALL directions,less being painted in a corner(ever)....................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
None of it can touch a simplistic 6x MQ,which kinda comes full circle and prolly by design.

Pun be intended................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Now as SFP Variables go,I can hold The Super Dumplin' 3-15x DMR2 like a rock.

Fine as Giggle Glass,but not Meat & Taters Utility.................

Jordan Smith

Nov 26, 2015
I’ve hunted a bunch with the Montucky in 7WSM wearing both the SS 3-9x and the LRHS 3-12x, and while the 3-9x is a fantastic meat scope, unless I’m trying to cut ounces the LRHS is the easy choice for me.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I find the LRTS '12x faster/friendlier than the 3-9x.

Was actually gonna poke the newest FDE on my Montucky Six Twat-Six,because it would look purtier than the black LRTSi '12x...................(grin)

ktnlocksmith

Apr 30, 2019
I’ll keep that in mind. I’m light on scopes these days. Especially since I’ve learned how “good” my reupolds really are.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Great mechanics...will simply make you HATE everything else and "glass" becomes the least of concerns.

What didja' give for the LRTS?.....................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The LRTS's locking windage and zero stop,ain't gonna piss anyone off...nor will parallax adjustment and increased eye-relief..................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
12x LRTS windage turret locked(collapsed inboard).

12x LRTS windage turret unlocked(expanded outboard).

This one is right at 25 Mil's total travel,with windage mechanically centered and that seems to be the average for the herd........................

ktnlocksmith

Apr 30, 2019
That’s the deal I got. Mentioned that they were $50 cheaper last time I looked, but that didn’t help. At least I got free usps Shipping.

7mmMato2

Oct 7, 2019
Someone had one up for sale on the fire for $599.00 a couple of days ago. Im sure it got snagged by now but you might check

7mmMato2

Oct 7, 2019
Yea i got in on that sale at the last minute as well. I think the guy on the fire just decided he didnt like it. Im pretty happy with mine. So far it has tracked well and is easy to get behind even on 12x.