data-csrf="1711636140,71fdb567d347b102842343e74dcef9d7" semi or classic? | As Real As It Gets

semi or classic?

Buck Snort

Jun 2, 2010
If you are carrying in the bush to protect from bear etc ... do you carry a semi loaded with a heavy clip or stick to revolver for safety in case you hang it up on brush etc?

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
If a bears charges you, you should ALWAYS crap your pants and run/fall away. Hopefully your crap filled pants and shear cowardice will discuss the bear in such a manner that it will kill you quickly and you will not suffer.

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
T'is funny....We've started to track bear encounters here at work now, and noticed a marked increase this year as opposed to the last couple of years.

99% of them have been simply curiousity contact (although try to explain that to a 20yr old college kid who's never seen a bear in the bush, much less one huffing and popping at 10 feet......grin), but we've had two in the last couple of weeks that have a few of us wondering if it were more of a predatory bent.

Both of 'em involved women on staff of a smaller stature, and both of 'em required 12gauge persuasion to keep the bears on the up and up. And both of 'em mighta had a different ending if they hadn't of been working in pairs. (Both bears were in fair close, and coming in from downwind and using available cover).

Think I need to get out there more....Got some 300gr hardcast I want to R&D outa my 5" 629......

Buck Snort

Jun 2, 2010
Damn. Arent they more agressive in early spring and fall or fairly consistent? Damn things fascinate me but unlike Stick, I think I will look forward to long range photos and not try to horn up and square dance with the bastards.

Luck is not my strongpoint.

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
I have a couple good friends with scars from black bears. My buddy ol "Frankenweiner" got 17 stitches in his pecker and a bunch of others in his nut sack and inner thighs. It's a funny as hell story. If he's in the mood he'll whip out his distorted member to show off in mixed crowds.

Down here your far more likely to run into a mexican outdoor marijuana grow, which is far more dangerous than any bear.

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Rogue said:
Down here your far more likely to run into a mexican outdoor marijuana grow, which is far more dangerous than any bear.
When I worked in the Kootenays, that were a fair common occurence....However, a short 12 was faaaar more persuasive in intimidation factor than any pistola woulda been.

Only had occasion to pull a 12 once (on farmers at any rate), and that certainly calmed the situation down significantly. They opted to live and let live.....grin
Mind you, a guy ain't too fast on his feet when he's got a pack full of bud, and all he's got going is a machete and 20' to cover before you slap a trigger........grin

Rogue

Oct 21, 2009
Jefferson State
KodiakHntr said:
Rogue said:
When I worked in the Kootenays, that were a fair common occurence....However, a short 12 was faaaar more persuasive in intimidation factor than any pistola woulda been.

Only had occasion to pull a 12 once (on farmers at any rate), and that certainly calmed the situation down significantly. They opted to live and let live.....grin
Mind you, a guy ain't too fast on his feet when he's got a pack full of bud, and all he's got going is a machete and 20' to cover before you slap a trigger........grin
Nice shit, Fire em up.

Driftin'

Nov 16, 2009
Offshore
KodiakHntr said:
Both of 'em involved women on staff of a smaller stature, and both of 'em required 12gauge persuasion to keep the bears on the up and up.
Women would give a wild nose something enticingly familiar to sniff, on occasion....

KodiakHntr

Dec 19, 2007
Northern BC
Driftin' said:
KodiakHntr said:
Both of 'em involved women on staff of a smaller stature, and both of 'em required 12gauge persuasion to keep the bears on the up and up.
Women would give a wild nose something enticingly familiar to sniff, on occasion....
Yeah, that question was raised during the aftermath investigation....And not an issue on either instance.

Nor were extra-curricular activities that day or the night before in either case.....(So neither bear would of thought that the girls were smuggling salmon.....grin)

Buck Snort

Jun 2, 2010
Holy shit Stick ... you play with enough fire and in time, get burned.

That picture even got the wifey lookin.

EPIC

Paul H

Nov 19, 2007
Alaska
Visit site
Buck Snort said:
If you are carrying in the bush to protect from bear etc ... do you carry a semi loaded with a heavy clip or stick to revolver for safety in case you hang it up on brush etc?
I've always been of the opinion anyone with sufficient handgun shooting skills to protect themselves with a handgun will have enough experience to come to their own conclusions. And anybody that needs to ask the question, needs to spend alot of range time honing their skills.

And the vast majority of the folks I see shooting handguns at the range aren't much of a threat to a bear, considering paper targets haven't much to worry about past about 10 yds.

Hint, if you can't get it done in 5 or 6 shots, having more ammo isn't going to improve your shooting skills, and if you're capable of getting off enough aimed shots to run out of ammo on a wheelgun, it really wasn't a charge.

406 SBC

Jun 5, 2010
Paul H said:
Hint, if you can't get it done in 5 or 6 shots, having more ammo isn't going to improve your shooting skills, and if you're capable of getting off enough aimed shots to run out of ammo on a wheelgun, it really wasn't a charge.
Couldn't agree more.