data-csrf="1713516533,bb158345f2cd6e2a98442b42732a8029" Shootin' In The Rain | As Real As It Gets

Shootin' In The Rain

Rolltide

rimfiretactical.com
Dec 15, 2007
I know some of you guys live in rather "moist" environments, so I gotta ask a few questions...

Y'all know I'm a certified rimfire junkie and last weekend, I shot an NRLX 22 match in Kentucky in the middle of a week-long monsoon. Shooting the match was fun shit, but I'm looking for advice for future matches or hunts where I end up getting rained on for 8+ hours. I've hunted in weather like this from time to time and generally don't think too much about it, mainly because I'm generally carrying one of the Montanas and don't baby them much

In this match, I shot my Vudoo in the JAllen chassis and it did as it should when the idiot pulling the trigger did his. Like a dumbass, I switched from Center-X to Midas 2 days before the match...but didn't have solid data past 250, which proved to be a big problem.

I ran into issues that day that I hadn't thought about before though, so bear with me while I ramble looking for advice.

First, the scope caps are great at keeping the rain off the lens...until you flip them open to shoot and then slam them closed without wiping them off...I assume that the best thing for that scenario is to simply wipe the covers before closing them...but is there anything else you boys in the north do?

Second, the JAllen chassis has about 6,439,281 screws in it...and every damn one had to be removed and oiled down after the match because all of them were starting to rust. I know it's just a rifle and rust adds character...but this damn thing is pretty and I can't bring myself to have it rusting everywhere...so, do you guys do anything preventive before exposure or simply wipe down/clean up after the fact?

Third...what's the recommendation for rain gear? I shot the match with normal hunting clothes from Under Armour, which I thought were waterproof, but turned out to be water-resistant...for about 4 hours...Any recommendations there?

Last, backpack for gear. I normally use a G.P.S. Tactical Range Pack, which has a large compartment for pistols, which I use to keep loaded magazines organized and occasionally through some bags in there as well. I learned at this match, that I needed something a bit bigger and easier to get things out of, but also a pack that was either more water-resistant or even waterproof. Some shooters were using Eberlestock packs while others weren't even using packs...dragging wagons around instead with all of their gear in the wagon. Any recommendations on packs?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I marvel daily,about how/why 22LR's are seemingly unaffected by raindrops greater in diameter,than they are?!? Doubly so when adding 10+++ Mil's of erector,to the equation. They simply should NOT,do what they do...but they do. Say that fast!(grin)

As caps go,it becomes second fucking nature to dry 'em,before you close 'em. There's also REASON for the affinity for sunshades(rain shields/objective protectors). I wish I could install 'em on bino's! Ideally,I never have to touch an objective,whether rifle scope,spotting scope or camera lens. I weigh such things,a whole fucking bunch more,than a whole fucking bunch.

I cain't speak to a JAE,as it ain't my jam. Long story short,if it's CM,it's gonna develop RedLoctite in these parts and most likely on Day ONE(POURING rain now). I've a propensity for fixed stocks,for many reasons,mainly because nothing can rust,bust or get stuck. All my Vudoo's wear fixed stocks.

I've never seen UA,Sitka,Kuiu,Browning or any of it work worth a fuck,as staying dry goes. If you wanna be actually dry,step away from the Boutique and go Old School. HH ImperTech is stretchingly forgiving and lighter than most stuff that actually works.

Packs are more subjectiver than the former. I've never had a dry magazine,so cain't comment there.(grin)

My default 'pack,is a stinkin' bruised up shit show mess,but still chooglin'. It's in my crummy now. If you want DRY,go with a DryBag Pack. They typically don't have shit for exterior pockets.

I lonnnnngggggggggggg ago,simply resigned myself and all of my shit to be sopping fucking wet,because that is reality.....................

Reactions: Rolltide

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
+1 on the HH Impertech. Goretex doesn't work after the outer layer is thoroughly soaked anyway, and match shooting requires little sweating, so the "breathability" you get from GT isn't as much of a factor. And it only works in lighter rain anyway.
Can you replace screws with stainless? No point if other hardware will rust, like threaded inserts. Paste wax can slow down rust, but you can't be subtle with it. FILL the recesses.
Packs aren't the right tool to be waterproof at a match - go with something hard and tool-boxy.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've been just as soaked Sweat Wet,as fucking Rain Wet.

Once the brush is wet,it's over...and it sure as fuck is now...............(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
It were mag issues and for some reason,fresh rain didn't sweeten that pot?!?(grin)

The 11.25" issued LOP,made things tough.

The TG Inletting will literally draw blood.

Given some attention in said areas,the platform will be fine,even in the rain.(grin)

To be continued,if only obviously.................

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Took the time this morning,to take the time. LOP in issued guise is fucking HORRIBLE. Threw a real KRG recoil pad at it and (3) spacers,which nipped LOP and now it's not a greasy slick piece of shit,when stood on butt.

The TG inlet was easily nipped and a simple radiused contour,did away with the knife edge. Chased it with 220# and it's there.

Nice parcel now................

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Jeb told me to wear two jackets. So I wear a stormr over an Eddie Bauer Weather Edge. It’s night and day better than a single goretex jacket. The stormr blocks the big shit, the 2nd jacket keeps what gets through the first jacket that normally soaks you from soaking you. It’s not horrible.