data-csrf="1713496240,a95cf5f2022b8e780c5c7c9423802611" Since its 70 outside | As Real As It Gets

Since its 70 outside

jds44

Nov 18, 2007
East of pullit, West of Painless
I took off Wed. and Friday to hunt, but I'm not even going to bother Wed. cause it still suppossed to be 70 degrees. Hopefully that front will move through on turkey day and the bottom will fall out of the temps.

Brad Arnett

Nov 17, 2007
Michigan
I spent 4 years in texas, couldn't wait to get out of that heat and back to some cooler weather, and snow. I feel for you guys that have to hunt in the hot weather. I sure didn't like it.

Steelhead

Nov 17, 2007
Here
Gotta say, it was the thing I hated most about hunting in the south, especially LA & FL. Hard to get in the mood when it's Christmas and 70 degrees...

For the record though I only had about 6 days when it was below freezing in the morning this season.

AKPredator

Nov 18, 2007
Fairbanks
Moved back from Vegas in May of '06 after the wife graduated from UNLV. The day we moved down there was in mid July of '03 and they were having record heat of 132F. I Ak Air cargo'd all of our stuff down, so I spent that day moving everything into the apartment. What a freeking nightmare. Couldn't wait to get back to Alaska, but every two weeks was one extreme to the next. Vegas at 90-100, Prudhoe at 30-40 below. I'd freeze my sunburn and sunburn my frost nip. Made for some cool marbling.

MontanaMarine

Nov 17, 2007
Canyon Ferry, MT
NE Montana gets cold, loads of wind, and deep snow.

Here in SW MT, we're on the relatively dry eastern slopes of the rockies, yet far enough into the mountans to miss the worst of the "Arctic Express" cold, wind, and deep snow that is classic to central and eastern MT.

Steelhead

Nov 17, 2007
Here
I spent 5 days about 25 miles south of Alder, MT. Fished the Ruby, Beaverhead and did a horseback trip into the Beaverhead NF and caught some MONSTER cuts. Also managed a bushel full of gophers. Lots of nice folks around there.

toltecgriz

Nov 17, 2007
On the Santa Fe Trail
MontanaMarine said:
NE Montana gets cold, loads of wind, and deep snow.

Here in SW MT, we're on the relatively dry eastern slopes of the rockies, yet far enough into the mountans to miss the worst of the "Arctic Express" cold, wind, and deep snow that is classic to central and eastern MT.
We always called it the "banana belt." Still there are some frosty days and nights, to say the least.

MontanaMarine

Nov 17, 2007
Canyon Ferry, MT
Still referred to as the banana belt. As you say though, it's a relative comparison.

We get plenty of sub-zero weather. it's dipped into the -30s in all of the the last three winters.

toltecgriz

Nov 17, 2007
On the Santa Fe Trail
Steelhead said:
I spent 5 days about 25 miles south of Alder, MT. Fished the Ruby, Beaverhead and did a horseback trip into the Beaverhead NF and caught some MONSTER cuts. Also managed a bushel full of gophers. Lots of nice folks around there.
On the horseback trip, did they put you on Dynamite or old Widowmaker. :D

Chris

Nov 20, 2007
Between the Mtns and the Plateau
Nothing like a case of the monkey ass. We rode to the bottom of the Grand Canyon on a donkey one time, the last time. I walked out. Damn thing kept looking over the rim of the trail like it wanted to jump, not very inspiring.

Steelhead

Nov 17, 2007
Here
Someone also forgot to tell me that the horse didn't like getting his feet wet. First stream he stopped for a second and then jumped it.

Can't tell you the joy I had whilst hanging on after it got spooked by a moose and calf. Nope, next time I'm on a horse there will be a blank check in my pocket and a loaded pistol pointed at the ponies head........