data-csrf="1711646788,fba096312ef05946f11c4e42b8a69b97" Sitka / Kuiu | As Real As It Gets

Sitka / Kuiu

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
My kuiu is wearing out but have been impressed with my kuiu chugach pants. Jacket was a little lacking. Any recommendations on the newer models for packable rain jacket/pants?

cwh

Administrator
Nov 18, 2007
Anchorage
Don't have fancy rain pants but I have been happy with the kuiu Yukon jacket.

Buddy is happy with the sitka set, but as I recall it was over a grand for bibs and jacket. Tough to pony up that much for something that is going to get shredded.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
Everyone I know runs the Chugach these days. I've heard good about the Sitka stuff. And the Under Armor Ridge Reaper, but they seemed to have forgotten the pit zips.
The Kutana looks interesting, but I don't know anyone who owns it. Yukon is good, but heavier and less packable than the Chugach. Probably more durable though.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
I have 1st gen chugach. Is the nx better?

the rokslide guys seem to have good things to say about the kryptex rain jacket.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
Rockslide dudes hunt Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado. Their idea of rain is different. Years back I bought the first lite rain jacket due to their recommendation. It was a horrible failure. I had it replaced under warranty and the second one was the same.

I have the NX, but don’t really remember the first version. The NX is 3 layer, fairly thin, has pit zips. Works very well here in SW Washington. They use the same membrane for the Yukon jacket but with a thicker outer layer.

Also the Stone Glacier M5 jacket to consider. It’s an unknown to me though.

I’ve not used Kryptek and the only folks I know of who do are sponsored. Seems like Vortex, Nosler, and Leupold. The only top end folks using it are paid to do so.
Might be good though....

SnowshoeWalker

Oct 1, 2018
Alaska
I ran my older Kuiu Chugach in Sitka and it rained buckets everyday. I lived in it and it worked extremely well. Simms on the bottom, Chugach up top.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Kuiu’s response:

Hey Joel,

Thanks for contacting the KUIU Warranty Department. When was the last time you retreated the DWR? Over time and use the DWR on the face fabric can wear off allowing the fabric to absorb water. Once the fabric has absorbed water the membrane can't breath and sweat can build up on the inside of the jacket. Retreating the DWR will allow the membrane to breath as normal and keep water beading up on the face fabric.

Depending on how old the product is, it also just could be time to replace it and buy a new one as they do not last forever.

Please click here to view the Product Care we recommend to restore your DWR Coating. We also recommend the Nikwax Soft Shell DuoPack which can be found here.

Best,

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
That's not very confidence inspiring. My buddy that lives in the Bay area gets a much better level of service when he shows up in person at their store.

I wash all my fleece, softshell, and water resistant clothing in the TX Direct or Soft shell wash at the beginning of the fall hunting seasons every year.
Its pretty nice how well it works on even just a fleece jacket. But you really do need to use the entire bottle, or 2 bottles if you throw lots of stuff in the washing machine. Then I set it on the long soak and mix cycle to make sure it gets worked in well.
(Then don't forget to run a soapy large load of nothing but work clothes to clean the machine afterwards)

But I don't expect it will give you what you want if your jacket leaks. If it is just you sweating inside the jacket, or the jacket wetting out under your pack straps and stuff the DWR wash will help, but if the membrane has given up the ghost, or never did work correctly the wash will just be a real temporary band aid.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
The comm fish guys are liking the stormr nano. Gonna try one of those first this summer. Have one on order. Rather have a $120 jacket leak than an ultra expensive one.

Last edited:

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've never liked any of their shit,but the Magic Wash is fucking hilarious!

Easy pass on that bullshit...............

dznnf7

Apr 30, 2016
Twice I've followed that advice on Gore-Tex failures and all I got was clean shit, a lighter wallet, and the can kicked down the road. The "waterproof" industry uses that as a canned fuck-off email. "Go away, but first give me 20 bucks for my special soap".

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
Looks like the warranty doesn’t mean shit. Grin.

Hey Joel,

Sounds like it could be at it's wits end and needs to be replaced due to normal wear over the years (again, depending on how long you've had this garment).

If you have any further questions or concerns, please let us know.

Scorpion

Oct 7, 2008
Western PA
The new Sitka Dewpoint looks pretty decent for a lighter weight, packable set of gear. It’s a 3 layer Gore-Tex, should be pretty good but likely not the best for busting brush or active hiking. I don’t mind hard shells but prefer a four way stretch if living in it. Also really like my Arc’Teryx Alpha shell for colder weather.

I had the Kuiu Yukon and liked it a lot, just never found myself wearing it much after getting the Kryptek Takur pants and jacket from the Altitude line. The Yukon DWR did seem to wear off after a while and washing it to restore it was not as effective as I’ve seen with other high end fabrics.

The Takur is made with Schoeller fabric and is more akin to the Kuiu Yukon than anything else. It’ll be getting the nod for my September goat hunt near Cordova. Schoeller fabrics are top of the line, Kryptek definitely leading the way on that.

Couple guys who I trust used both the Kryptek Takur and Sitka Stormfront on their SEAK goat hunts, both had positive things to say after a week above tree line.

Haven’t used any of the Stone Glacier offerings, but the M5 and M7 look very promising.

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
I kinda like the Stormr Nano. Time will tell. I heard the bearing sea guys will double up on the nano in the really nasty stuff.

Last edited:

ktnlocksmith

Apr 30, 2019
I'm on my third set of raingear today... Soaked through both impertech and guy cotton. Glad I have a halibut jacket on underneath keeping me warm. Looking forward to T-ball after work and hearing about how beach day went at school today...

Calvin

Nov 17, 2007
Visit site
The new Sitka Dewpoint looks pretty decent for a lighter weight, packable set of gear. It’s a 3 layer Gore-Tex, should be pretty good but likely not the best for busting brush or active hiking. I don’t mind hard shells but prefer a four way stretch if living in it. Also really like my Arc’Teryx Alpha shell for colder weather.

I had the Kuiu Yukon and liked it a lot, just never found myself wearing it much after getting the Kryptek Takur pants and jacket from the Altitude line. The Yukon DWR did seem to wear off after a while and washing it to restore it was not as effective as I’ve seen with other high end fabrics.

The Takur is made with Schoeller fabric and is more akin to the Kuiu Yukon than anything else. It’ll be getting the nod for my September goat hunt near Cordova. Schoeller fabrics are top of the line, Kryptek definitely leading the way on that.

Couple guys who I trust used both the Kryptek Takur and Sitka Stormfront on their SEAK goat hunts, both had positive things to say after a week above tree line.

Haven’t used any of the Stone Glacier offerings, but the M5 and M7 look very promising.
thanks Great info.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I long ago resigned myself to simply getting soaked,be it sweat or rain,if not both.

NO way around it...............