data-csrf="1713616001,17d52533b12cff219909027f37b81340" Square smooches | As Real As It Gets

Square smooches

Cuando

Oct 23, 2014
I've been reloading a bunch lately and it's most certainly been a while.

I could use a primer and some tips on finding the square smooch apparently.

Be gentle.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
On a rifle with 4 or more grooves,I want to be as deep into the lands,as thgey are wide. That COAL will yield a Square Smooch,in it's bearing surface footprint and happiness.................

Cuando

Oct 23, 2014
Yeah, I'm with you there. My latest from Shaen is hard to get a read on. Seems the freebore is tight and I'm not quite sure what I'm seeing left on the marked up bullet.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
What chambering? Bullet? Brass? Snug freebore is OK by me.

Make sure the throat/freebore is REALLY clean and stab it again..................

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
Can you reach the rifling with a 40 max or nbt and maintain enough neck/bullet engagement to suffice? I've jumped them a mile and have shot crazy good in a dozen different rifles: 222's, 223's, & 223ai's. I guess I've just never really given much thought about smoochin the 40 grain stuff.

ridgeline

Mar 22, 2009
australia
Often times along with always removing the striker assembly, I'll remove the plunger to prevent it from kicking shit about upon extraction, it seems to help with getting a better read of the engaged lands witness marks.

CaptArab

Jul 9, 2021
Another easy approach would be to get the neck just loosely goosey enough to slide a bullet in and out, use some locktite or glue, gently chamber, let dry, extract, measure.

I much prefer the marker, but I'd suspect they'd both yield similar results.

Reactions: dakotagun

dakotagun

Jan 25, 2017
Shitsville
Another easy approach would be to get the neck just loosely goosey enough to slide a bullet in and out, use some locktite or glue, gently chamber, let dry, extract, measure.

I much prefer the marker, but I'd suspect they'd both yield similar results.
I do similar. My redneck method is to dremel a couple opposing cuts along the neck of a sized & chamfered case. Some would shudder at the lack of precision, but it works for me. I use the same bullet to set my seating die and call it good. I'm not always smoochin but I still want to know where I'm at.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
The ONLY time I'm not kissin',is when it can't be mechanically arranged in a given platform...most typically due COAL Latitude.

My favorite chamberings,easily arrange same................