data-csrf="1711652801,1c4b9c71d34508049c3535aadbca71a5" Stock Shopping | As Real As It Gets

Stock Shopping

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I'm getting a 22 Creed screwed together (700 action, #3 Brux, fluted and chopped at 22"). I have an LVSF stock sitting here, for the time being, but I'm shopping for something new. I'd like to stick with ADL-style bottom metal.

AG Composites said they'd do an ADL inlet for me...thinking Privateer or CAT.

The Bansner Sheep Hunter is a nice stock, but they are a lot of work, because I don't want to pay an extra $250 for a recoil pad and paint.

Red Hawk has an HS Precision sporter in stock that's an ADL, as well. How thick are they through the grip/wrist, though? And, it's heavier than the others.

What else is out there that would mate up well with my faux-LVSF barreled action? McM Hunter's Edge? Manners?

SnowshoeWalker

Oct 1, 2018
Alaska
I'm going with one of these on the next build. They might do an ADL for you, they're quick to answer questions.

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
Greyboe has a new lightweight stock out. 20-some oz. Just watched their video, can use it for a cereal bowl.

I have a Privateer for my 7rem mag I like. It’s mid 20 oz. Fit and finish is great. Forend a touch blocky.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
I tried to like the AG stocks but they are too blocky to me in the fore arm and grip. I'm not crazy about my fieldcrafts ergos and those stocks are slimmer than anything AG sells to the public.

Bansner sheep hunter is a great stock but a lot of work. Their standard might be a better fit for your contour though.

Its still hard for me to walk away from a McMillan, though the light grayboe is one I want to try

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I reckon AG built Barrett handles,as per their instruction(s),rather than freeballing it. They made Montucky handles too,which are an easy favorite.

Never could like Bansner anything,but dat's subjective.

I'd be cool with an AG MPA Altitude and a fluted Brux #3.

Though the wait through RHR is getting longer. For extry cash,they are in stock direct........................

Reactions: Al Nyhus

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Fuck it...just ordered a FauxBoe Woodland S/A BDL Outlander for a Brux #3,which will likely be yet another 22 PPC Fucking Improved.

I reckon it will beat me home.......................

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Tough to beat the McMillan Rem. Classic.

With the sale of McMillan, the product lines are going to be steamlined and the hope is for markedly shorter delivery times. I'm not sure if the sale included the Mc3 stock line or not. The Mc3 idea has a lot of promise if they can get a few more patterns available. The one Mc3 (Tradition) I handled seemed pretty decent, if a bit heavy.

Good shootin'. -Al

Last edited:

Apr 3, 2010
Put a classic on order about 2 weeks ago. See how long they are taking this year.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
With Rick not taking McM orders anymore on 24hr, who/where is the next place to go for a McM? Or, is a guy stuck paying full retail, directly from McM?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I've always ordered direct,but slick up stuff laying in wait,from various sources.

Sadly some of my favorites patterns,are having their moulds tossed,which stings...................

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Too bad Proof Research doesn't inlet for the ADL. When I asked if they could, there was this l-o-o-o-o-o-n-g silence on the end of the line........:oops:

Then I asked if they could do just the action inlet, .250 pilot holes for the action screws and I'd inlet the ADL guard myself and it got r-e-a-l-l-y quiet.........o_O

Last edited:

Chesapeake

Aug 24, 2010
SW Washington
That proof stock is only made with 1 inlet and 1 barrel channel. I expect it’s made to a mold like the Kimber stocks and not a machined foam inlet like a McMillan.

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
The HS stocks aren’t thick through the wrist like a B&C. Not bad stocks but as you stated, heavy.
Is there anyway to lighten them up, at all? I'm guessing the bulk of the weight is from the aluminum bedding block, so they should still balance fairly well?

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Opened up some mail finally today and the new Outlander is as billed and lighter than fuck. I'd of went ADL if optioned from RHR,but they're in stock and rate a thunk...................

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I just ordered an Outlander and Grayboe BDL bottom metal from Red Hawk. I fondled a factory Remington AWR at Cabela's over the weekend, and I do like that Grayboe stock.

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I might get to plumbing it with barreled actions tonight,to find a favorite in balance/handling.

It's a LIGHT bitch.............

Robertham1

Jun 16, 2015
I slipped up and ordered a Foundation for the Vudoo. Arrived last week and i dig it quite a bit. Genesis v2. Dark distressed

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
I'd rather shoot a Vudoo,than ANYTHING else. Your parcel looks the part,that's for sure!

Probably even "shoots" too?!?.................(grin)

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Couldn't stand it.

Initial thunks are,that it is lighter than a Gen 1 Ti,wearing a higher comb,is ambi and I prefer this grip. Given a choice,this would be the choice.

Inletting is Skookum,I like what they did amidship and got rid of the cobwebs in the action inlet/trigger inlet. LOTSA clearance for the bolt release. The lug recess is as they should be,which is rather generous. I opted mag Sporter inlet and can see where the little bastard would take a PSS contour,as billed. No issue with a NSS Remage nut either. My Funk Monkey goofy shanked parallel fluted 22-250AI spout touched amidship,but how the fuck could anyone see that coming?!?(grin)

That being said,I tossed a Kali Kid 224 Speedmire in it,wearing a Bart' spout and a OEM 'lug. Clearance betwixt barrel and stock,is exactly how I like it,with no fucking around. Nothing even close to touching here.

Feels/balance/handles GREAT and my sole critique,would to either be ADL or M5 inlet. I've always fucking hated,BDL pot metal bullshit. RHR's version of BDL metal,is vastly superior to Big Green's. M5 AICS DBM makes everything soooooo easy,smoooooooth and RELIABLE,that the pill is a touch bitter. That's no thang on QC,just subjective personal preference,mainly because I'm hard on shit.

Nice way to fly,IMHO.................

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Is ADL an option on these? I went looking and didn't find it.
Unfortunately, no. In my conversation with them they seemed puzzled that anyone would want it. In fairness, their niche' right now is basic inlets and the BDL is pretty much how most would want it.

With a little carbon fiber sheet and some glass, a conversion to ADL wouldn't be too horrible to do. When forced to use the factory BDL pot metal in the past, I've used pillars that have a countersunk 82 degree screw that uses a screw to secure the BDL metal. Holland Rifles makes them and they are slick with factory pot metal as all you're doing is holding the BDL metal on. ADL trigger guard pictured but you get the idea.

Good stuff! Thanks for the overview, 'Stick! :) -Al

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
If only in fairness and for me,it very much depends upon the chambering and it's projectiles. As in,there's NO mechanical feed/function "advantages" inherent ADL or BDL,though AICS DBM's are simply steeped in same...even when OEM mag confines are "roomy".

Secondly,the ability to tote extry rounds or even a Herd Clip,is rather handy ala AICS DBM.

I think you boys are swaying me.................(grin)

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I just ordered an Outlander and Grayboe BDL bottom metal from Red Hawk. I fondled a factory Remington AWR at Cabela's over the weekend, and I do like that Grayboe stock.
I got the goods from Red Hawk this afternoon. After a week and a half, without a shipping notification, I called them to see what was up. The guy I talked to apologized, said they oversold their bottom metal (it was still listed as "in stock" when I placed my order), but he said that he would ship everything as soon as the bottom metal showed up from Grayboe. He was sincere and upfront about everything. It happens. I'm still waiting on the gunsmith, anyway.

The Outlander stock and BDL bottom metal looks great:

The bottom metal looks a lot better than the junk Remington has been putting on their SPS rifles, and it fits the Outlander stock like a glove:

Here are the weights, with and without Grayboe's BDL bottom metal:

nimrod1949

Mar 1, 2010
n. idaho
I purchased a lightweight Outlander last year directly from Grayboe and their system let me choose DBM inlet. The next day they called me and clarified the DBM would be proud of the stock line. They were willing to do it but I decided against it and they let me cancel my order with no hassle. Good people

Last edited:

Big Stick

Nov 18, 2007
Paradise
Dan,

Where you at on this handle? I just ordered another and keep forgetting about the "nice price",when you join their Club or whatever it's called. $326.95 to the door.

For another 22 PPC Alaskan Improved...............

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Dan,

Where you at on this handle? I just ordered another and keep forgetting about the "nice price",when you join their Club or whatever it's called. $326.95 to the door.

For another 22 PPC Alaskan Improved...............
Yep, I ordered with their "Pro Member" pricing - $319 plus their flat-rate shipping.

Love the stock, but the 'smith got sidetracked on screwing my 22 Creed together, so I haven't had a chance to put it all together, yet. I told him I wasn't in a hurry, and I guess he believed me. :D

I would like to order an Outlander for another rifle, probably tan w/ black webbing. I think they are a great deal, just wish they were available as an ADL. With a blind mag, they'd be perfect!

Ndbowhunter

May 18, 2021
dan what twist did you go with on the 22 creed?

was thinking of punching a 223 8 twist out to 22creed.

Dude270

Dec 23, 2014
I've shot 88s in a 22 creed and 22-250 AI that are both 1 in 8 twists and they have shot ok.

My next big 22 will wear a 1 in 7 though because I really like the 88s in the bigger cases.