data-csrf="1711642814,0ed5a5cb4014b1f25f445a9e3f24b510" Stock Shopping | As Real As It Gets

Stock Shopping

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
The 22 Creed arrived today. There's a fair amount of shank on this barrel, and I forgot to specify to the 'smith to start chopping at that end. Oops. I had to do a little sanding in the barrel channel to get her to fit, but it looks good. I'll bed it later, maybe tonight.

She weighs 6lbs and 12oz, naked. I have a set of Talley LWs and a Leupold 3.5-10x waiting in the wings. That'll do, for now.

And, yes, the muzzle IS threaded. I really like how it turned out.

I took some COAL measurements, with a few of the bullets I have on hand...
75gr A-Max, 2.660"
77gr TMK, 2.570"
80.5gr Berger Full Bore, 2.620"
88gr ELDM, 2.690"

I hope I can get the 88s to shoot well, but if not, I have other options. I have plenty of 75s, already, but I also plan to snag some 80gr ELDs, when I find them.

Reactions: hangunnr and dznnf7

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Well done, Dan.

With a Sporter taper barrel, I like to keep as much of the shank length as possible....even keeping the shank O.D. @ 1.250 rather than the 'normal' 1.200 shank diameter most Sporter profiles have. The longer shank length and the 1.250 diameter make the barrel act 'stiffer' than a normal Sporter contour.

Good shootin'. :) -Al

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Thanks for the info, Al! The rifle isn't overly heavy, so other than having to sand the barrel channel, I guess I can't really complain about "too much shank."

I still need to bed this thing. Do you recommend bedding under the shank, or just bed the action and float the rest? I've heard/read recommendations to do it both ways.

tnv

Dec 25, 2007
TN
I like to just bed the action. It simplifies things should you swap barrels down the road.

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Dan, on repeater 700's I use a two point bedding approach.
-No bedding forward of the recoil lug, minimum .030 clearance between the shank and stock
-Minimum .030 clearance around the sides, bottom and front of the lug. Only the back of the lug makes any contact (very important).
-Bedding under the front receiver ring and it stops at the back of the receiver ring.
-Bedding under the rear tang, making sure there is no rear 'ledge' of bedding behind the tang...bedding to stock transition is smooth (very important).
-No contact along the sides of the action and the stock, minimum .020 clearance.
-Shorten top of pillars to allow for .050 minimum bedding material on top of pillar. No hard contact between pillar and receiver.
-Enlarge pillar holes to 5/16" and center the guide pins using these flanged 5/16 o.d./1/4" I.D. sleeves. NO contact between actions screws and pillars!

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Dan, I can send you some of the flanged Delrin sleeves if you want to try them. I glue them into the pillars with Super Glue and just drill them out later. Using them gives you a perfectly centered action screw with .030-ish clearance all the way around the screw. For a guide pin, a long 1/4-28 cap screw with a nice taper on the non threaded lower part to help it enter the sleeve works great. -Al

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
I appreciate the offer, Al. I am no where near that level of awesome, though. I got the rifle bedded, but it's been a while since I did the last one. I keep thinking I'll get better at it, but I just don't do it often enough to get proficient. I feel like I have two left feet, all thumbs, and one wandering eye. :D

I'll shoot it, first, and see if I can live with it. If not, I'll summon some more patience and give it another go.

Thanks, again!

Last edited:
Reactions: Al Nyhus

Al Nyhus

Dec 30, 2008
Dan, no "awesome" here for sure, though I do appreciate the nod. Just years of workin' with stuff, is all.

Yesterday, I was doing race car wiring. Now, this will make you think a bit! ;) -Al

Dan In Alaska

Nov 30, 2007
Anchorage
Shot the 22 Creed today. It shoots okay, I guess...

After a few sighter shots to get it in the ball park, here at the first 5 shots for load development. I was shooting 75 A-maxes, with five different charges of RL-26. The last shot was the flier, probably me; the big shit-eating grin probably screwed up my cheek weld, or I was just giddy from the first 4 shots.

I'll put some more ammo together and see what they're doing for velocity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rolltide